Acoustic Research AR-226PS Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (26 Reviews)

Submitted by dagosa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just traded for these speakers with my son in law who wanted something smaller. I always liked the way they sounded for years in hi house and jumped at the opportunity to trade them for a couple or surround speakers and a CC he needed to his system.
I have been very pleasantly surprised by the "mild" and detailed performance of the horn tweeter. It's much less bright than I would have though. The midrange seems a little recessive but acceptably so in my system that includes a horn cc as well. My only real gripe from these good looking speakers, is the poorly finished corners which are too unacceptably too damage prone. Otherwise, I would recommend them highly as a discontinued speaker you could get used for a reasonable price. I know in time, the foam surrounds may need replacement, but you can't have it all when trading.

Submitted by ryanianmckinnon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
what can i say about these speakers besides being the
best speakers i have ever heard and amazing deal for the
price i got them for 150 bucks WOW i have never heard music this
clear before in my life i will have these for a long time

Submitted by BEETLEMAN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
traded an old subwoofer for this pair of speakers and have been very happy with them as my new mains.they dont have a scratch on them,even on the bottoms so i dont believe they have really ever been used.
the bass is fantastic and the highs are very nice. overall a very good speaker for the money (or lack of)
im driving them with an old akai am-2950 and they really pump with this old school amp at 240 watts a channel.

Submitted by The Defiler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:

At the moment I am running a second music system which consists of the 226 and a Rotel RMB 1095 amplifier . This amplifier and speaker combination,plus my Sony XA-20ES CD PLAYER (variable outputs) have an unbelieveable synergy. The mid bass is clean and tight,not quite as impressive visceral as my 18 subwoofer, it's adequete for a bookshelf unit. However this unit's main strength is it's incredible sensitivity and detailed midrange and tweeter. Being a critical listener I don't often enjoy music as much as analyize it. But with this unit I can really enjoy music, those intricate little details which add color ,enjoyment to the musical experience are as clear as the light day. Although it's certainly not the end all and be all of high fidelity with the proper amplification and source material the 226 PS is certainly quite capable of producing stunning and dynamic music.

Submitted by Floydster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers! They have just the right amount of bass from the two 6" woofers and the horn-loaded tweeter fills the room with sound. I have these as fronts in an all AR speaker arrangment. The voice-matching is superb! Physically I love to take the grills off and just look at them. Right size for me and the right look. I can't imagine doing better for the money I spent. I got these for $199 from 800.com and they arrived the next day after ordering them from close to 3000 miles away. That's with regular UPS ground shipping. Unheard of response. Way to go 800.com.

Purchased At:   800.com