Acoustic Research AR-328PS
Description: <li>Dual High-Excursion woofer system with rear-firing, tuned bass reflex port <li>"Voice Matched" to all AR Performance Series speakers <li>Gold insert speaker connectors <li>Magnetically shielded

Submitted by jasper57 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I own these speakers for about 6 years now and found them alright for the money I payed. They were better then the amplifiers I owned. Only after the last upgrade (second Rotel RB-971 mkII and better diodes in both amplifiers) they didn't really satisfy me anymore. High tones still sounded crisp and clear, basses however boomed ever more and became tiresome. I finally found IMF TLS80 to replace the AR's (por dios wat een speakers!!) and use them as rear channels. The combination (IMF's front and AR's rear) is great!

Purchased At:   Hobo, NL

Submitted by amomar23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Sounds pretty good in both music and home theater.
My system:
Onkyo txds-747 (receiver)
Pioneer dv-343 (dvd player)
AR 328 ps (fronts)
AR 205ps (rear)
AR 225ps (center)
Rel Q100E (subwoofer)

Purchased At:   internet site

Submitted by johnny S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers for $640 canadian. and I thought this was a good deal. I got home hooked them up to my piece of garbage Technics SA DX 940 receiver and I thought they sounded OK. but then I listened carefully and heard the tweeter was distorting and I wasnt imperssed. after that, one broke, I took it back and they gave me a factory return. this speaker was BAD the cone was tearing off it. that's when I took them back and told visions how it is, they tried to give me another speaker and appologized for the factory return they gave me, but I told 'em I wanted my money back, and I got it. and decided to buy a good receiver so I got a Marantz SR5000 and I'm planning to get some paradigm monitor 7's cause they are really exellent speaker and well worth a listen.

Purchased At:   visions

Submitted by Jeff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I looked for speakers for ~ 8 months before buying these. Much of my basis for looking at them came from the AudioReview reviews of them. Unbelievable. I listened to them at a Sears, which I'm sure annoyed people all over the store (it got a little loud). I have them powered by an old Onkyo TX-80 for now, 33W/channel, and they get LOUD when I need them to. I can't wait to get some real power running through them. Of course the bass doesn't hit 30Hz, can't ask that from an 8" woofer, even if there's two per speaker. Everything above that sounds wonderful, whether it's classical, electronic, or alternative.

I Originally tried to buy them from JandR.com but they were discontinued. Found them for $30 less from accessories4less.com, with some very minor cosmetic imperfections (dinged corners). From the way they were packaged, I wonder if anyone has a pair that doesn't have at least some minor damage. That's my only complaint.

Besides that, there's no speaker out there that can come close for $350/pr, and it'd be hard to find good competition for the $700/pr list. These speakers have been discontinued, so they may be hard to find, but if you do, grab them. You won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Accessories4less.com

Submitted by Omer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought those speaker because I saw they were in a sale.
To my suprise, I found that they are GRAET and the sound really really good!.

They are load, and I don't have any problem with load volumes, which I hear most of the time.

They are very accuracte and the sound is very clean.

I Think they are the best choise less then a 1000$.

Purchased At:   J&R special