Acoustic Precision EIKOS FR-1 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by CHARLIE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
I did not know a lot about these little speakers when I purchased them blind from a lovely gentleman in France. He described them as one of the best little speakers money could buy. I scoffed, after all how on earth could a polystyrene box with only one small driver produce an audiophile sound ? Having had experience with the 47 lab lens speaker i knew it to be possible.I now have no hesitation in saying these little speakers are just incredible, once you get past the size and material and close your eyes, then be prepared to be transported to musical nirvana. Of course having owned and heard many speakers which give more base and louder full room sound these little rascals had a lot to compare against. In my eyes and my ears they are perfect and incredible. you must remember what you are listening to this is a tiny feather light polystyrene box !!! Massive sound stage, beautiful clarity and yes limited base, but forsake that for speed clarity height and width and then musical happiness is yours. One of the most amazing speakers i have ever heard at any price. Thank you Jan for convincing me to purchase them from you. If you ever get the opportunity to buy, do so. You will not get mine, they are here to stay.

Submitted by Karl Young a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had my Eikos now for nearly two years now-and not a day goes past I dont marvel at the sound from these tiny little boxes.
I have a full Pioneer Precision rig plus DVD player and MD recorder and I've never had a job too big for the diminutive cabinets.A couple of parties,high volume DVD moments and they withstand the serious listening tests with aplomb.
They seem happiest when given a bit of stick and while Im sure I could get far better amplification I dont know if Ill retain the tight,rythmic snap they have-let alone the fabulous soundstaging.Filling an average room with ease they are the most exacting of tools and maybe a bit steely for some,though you soon get used to their sound and anything sounds bloated and slow.

Downsides?Lack of absolute bass and they dont like to be hot too hard.

Result:Superb.But dont skimpon the partnering gear.

Submitted by Jay Long a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1998

Bottom Line:
I was on a quest to purchase a new system. To cut a long story short I bought the following:
Pioneer Precision A300R Amp
Pioneer PD-S505 Precision CD Player
Pioneer F-504RDS Precision Tuner
Pioneer CT-S550 Precision Tape Deck
Acoustic Precision EIKOS Interconnects

I was intending on keeping my Mordaunt Short MS-20 Loadspeakers, that was until I heard these little wonders. They are superb, only 1 aluminium driver, no crossover, and a weird polystyrene type box. They are mad as a match for the Precision system, as they are all tweaked by the great Tom Evans.

I listened at a shop and at home, I thought the speakers lacked bass, so decided to by a sub to partner them. Bad move, instead I should have just bought the Electrofluidics Monolith 20/20 speaker cable, which is also a match for the system. In the end, I sold the sub.

Anyway what does it sounds like? Yes it isn't the most powerful system, nor a bassy system. But what you do get is a superb transparent sound, everything is so neutral, no colourations at all. The detail is exquisite, my CD collection suddenly came to life, and I can here parts of the music I have always missed.

I just cannot fault this system, only the sound volumes holds it back. The speakers are delicate, spikes should not be used on the speakers or they will dig into the case and leave deep marks, the cone must not be touched, or they'll have to go back for repair. The speakers also work better in bigger rooms due to the volume limitation.

All in all, if you want something different this should be on your listen to list.