Acoustic Energy Aegis Compact Floorstanding Speakers

3.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $229.00

Bass Reflex design with 5 in metal cone woofer and 3/4 in silk dome tweeter

Submitted by Jari a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
Excellent 5.1. speakers to build up deasent home entertainment system for movies, games and for pop music.

Submitted by themile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had the pleasure to sample these speakers at a local shop. A friend of mine was looking at buying some new speakers and he brough me with him for a second opinion. I have to say that for quiet instramental music, they sounded increadable. The staging was fantastic. but as soon as I switched the music over to something a bit more complex/layered, the sound completely fell apart. They were muddy and generally undynamic.

Submitted by Ron P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use these little speakers for surrounds with Alon II mk IIs as R/L, Alon Centris as center and a REL Q100E sub. As I don't necessarily support the idea voice matching rear speakers for movie soundtracks, the increasing availibility of multichannel music recordings will probably prompt me to purchase a pair of Alon Centrises or Walls for the rears in the future.
For about forty bucks, I purchased the matching plastic mounting brackets, which work fine. I'm not really sure what to expect in a speaker costing 200 bucks as I honestly have not really listened to many speakers at that price range. I can say that they probably compete with (if not blow away)any "compact" speaker from mass market manufacturers out there. In fact, since I have not torn them down and thrown them out the window for tarnishing the beautiful sound of my cherished Alons, I can honestly say that they actually sound pretty darn good, in a understated sort of way.
They're pretty hefty for small speakers, weighing about 8-10 pounds each. Their sound is best described as "similar" to their larger siblings (aegis one, etc.)in that the sound is pleasing and easy. Hearing them would not make you stop and gasp. The sound does not draw attention to itself, it just reproduces. I had the opportunity to audition a pair of aegis one's at a local merchant and would describe the sound of both as well rounded, not nearly as life-like, accurate or airy as the Alons, but hell for a price 10x less, what do you expect?! Obviously bass is not as deep as the Aegis ones, but the highs and mids are comparable. I personally detest the mass market junk out there, so for the same money you can buy a speaker that is guarenteed to sound just as good, if not better, and is of much better quality.

Purchased At:   CSA Audio - Upper Montclair, NJ