VAF Research DC-6 G4
Description: <ul> <li>Awesome dynamics</li> <li>Accurate sound</li> </ul>

Submitted by Crist Constanti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased this speaker after purchasing the Vaf DCX G4 floorstanders.
I thought that my existing centre speaker the Accusound Delta 165 could keep up with the Large floor standers but I was wrong.
After much deliberation I went to VAF and purchased the DC-6.
I will be honest and disclose that I also contemplated getting the custom made
DCx GX centre however after speaking to Simon Wilde who has designed all the new DC series he told me that the marginal gains I would achieve with the DCx G4
centre (that being lower bass response) at cinema reference levels would not be comensurate with price.
This is amazing. I was floored by the frankness and honesty that Simon exhibited.
Lets face it sales people would be trying to swing you in the direction of purchasing the more expensive custom made product.
Simon indicated that the DC-6 was a quality product. He said it was virtually the DC7 converted to a centre speaker. after auditioning the product I was impressed.
VAF offer a no holds barred 30 day money back gaurantee as well as a 10 year gaurantee on the speakers whether you assemble them yourself or let them do it for a few more bucks. I went for the assembled option as I can't wait.
The beauty about the 30 day gaurantee isthat you can audition them at home and if not satisfied return them. Let me assure you that you will never will be using this option.
I got the centre speaker home and after a few hours of running it in (Vaf states that the full dynamics are at optimum after 40 hours of use) the difference in the clarity and dynamics in the sound was obvious. The sound filled and emanated into my 9m by 6m family room with great ease. High frequency sound like those of a sword been extracted from its scabbard were lifelike. A good DVD to test the
speakers high to midrange capabilities is the Matrix Reloaded. The sound of bullets shells and glass fragments hitting the ground was extraordinary.
A good test for a centre speaker is the sound of Don Henley's voice in full swing.
Don 's voice covers the sound dynamic from mid-high range frequency.His singing
voice is one which can generate quite a deal of acoustic reverb in a centre speaker.
I played the Eagles DVD's Hell Freezes Over and Farewell concert-Melbourne.
Don's voice was clear and crisp. It did not sound like he was singoing inside a bucket which is quite common in even the more pricey variety.
As you have guessed I am still impressed with the sound dynamics of the DC-6.
I will recommend it to anyone however matching it with the DCX-G4 fronts is the way to achieve nirvanna.

Purchased At:   VAF