Sony SS CN495H Center Speaker Center Channels

4.2/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $99.95

Sony's SS-CN495H Center Speakers deliver Center channel information in Dolby Digital, dts and Dolby Pro Logic surround sound video sources as well as high-resolution surround sound for music. Its Two-way design with dual 5-1/8"" woofers and 1"" Nano-Fine Balanced Dome tweeter minimizes flexing, reduces distortion, and enables response to 50 kHz for high-resolution audio. Try its 150 watts of Power Handling on for size and see why the right choice could only be Sony.

Submitted by fulcrumlow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
My home theater system that had taken a year for me to assemble with my hard earned money was stolen while out of town at a friends wedding.
I purchased the Denon AVR 1803 as my reciever (the same that was stolen) and figured i would go cheap on the speakers because i coudnt replace the definitive technology speakers that where stolen due to financial constrants and a new baby on the way. I purchased the SS-CN495H on ebay after looking at the reviews for it.
I also purchased 3 Sony M100H bookshelf speakers for temperary surrounds. After assembling a modest temp system with a boston acoustics sub and EPI 120 2/3 mains, I couldnt beleive what I had done by accident!!! The sound is transparent!!
It surrounds me. The sony SS-CN495H is the most amazing center speaker I have listened to. It makes the def tech center that i payed a weeks salery for sound like it was under water!! I have learned many things from the experience one thing is you can have amazing sound and save alot of money. Oh ya, this isnt a temp system anymore Im keeping it!!!!

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this center channel with hopes of full, clear, crisp audio from a center channel. I got none of the above.
The sound is "boxy". Certain high pitch tones make the speaker crackle. The midrange is horrible. Which makes the spoken audio sound like your standing in a cave.

Purchased At:   www.vanns.com

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well, I've used this center channel speaker for quite a few months now. And I must say that I am not very impressed. To me, the sound is very boxy. The spoken audio sounds as if it is coming out of a cave. I am not impressed at all.

Submitted by Ron Larson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Sony CN495H center channel speaker to replace my
Infinity CC-1 system, which I've never been happy with. The CC-1's
sound dull and unnatural. This is what happens when you buy a
speaker system without doing your homework and listening to a
sales person who just wants to push their garbage.

I am very satisfied with the Sony CN495H center channel speaker
system. They produce a surpassingly bright, natural, robust sound.
It is my opinion that a person would have to spend a lot more money
to get a center channel speaker that would sound only slightly better.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by DacBj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great center,definitely good price-performance relatio. I bought it as center speaker in SS-CR5005H set, with rear surround speakers which are made with same 13 cm woofers and nano-tweeter. In combination with SS-MF500 front speakers it's a great combination! Vocals are clear in full range of tone colours with no distortion. Just go for it ;-)