Sony SS-CN490 Center Channels

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Looking for a decent, entry level center channel speaker for my first attempt at a 5.1 system, it looked like I was in the $200 range for anything decent. Ended up buying my receiver at Best Buy, something I don't normally do, but they had an offer I couldn't refuse. Anyway, while I was there, I looked at their selection, and found the Sony, which I had recommended to me. It was really hard to test it out in their "listening room", but it looked like a good deal, so I took it home under their 30 day return policy.

Ends up being a great center channel speaker. Handles a full 150W, has dual 5" drivers and a tweeter, great specs for the price, and really, really good sound. I am very impressed.

Of course, there is better, but not for the price. If you want a good center channel, pick up one of these before Sony figures out what they've done, and raises the price.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by John Acheson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an great center channel. I found it on a clearance rack at Sears for really cheap, wasn't even looking for a center at the time. The sony center goes with my sony ss-mb100h sony surrounds. The sound also make a nice match to my yamaha ns-a200xt tower speakers. Overall this center is AWSOME for the price I paid.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by tony a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
over the past few weeks i have replaced my rear satellites and my center channel. they were all KLH, also my 1st surround sound speakers. to me, they sounded great, until i bought my Sony set. The rear and center channels are very distinct, and so far i have had no problems with overpowering any of them. They may not be the best, but the quality of my surround sound setup has definately gone up. Not to mention they are more attractive, which doesnt usually count for much, but its a plus.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Jarod Wilkins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great speaker for the money. Fits into any home theater system.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Chris a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really really really want to like this speaker. My entire system from TV to rear speakers are sony. I think it has the potential to be a good speaker if it were working propperly. It seems that right out of the box, the left 5" woofer sounds blown. With any frequency that requires movement to the 5" woofer the left woofer has static. The left one will not move freely back and forth when there is no power to the speaker. The right one is ok. So if you happen to get one that works its probably a good speaker, but who wants to have to keep taking a speaker back to the store time after time until you find one that works? Quality???? Come on Sony! If I wanted over priced crap I would have bought Boes in the first place.

Purchased At:   on line