Polk Audio CS245i Center Channels

4.56/5 (66 Reviews) MSRP : $249.00

The CS245i, with Polk''''s exclusive Dynamic Balance® Tri-Laminate tweeter technology (vapor deposited micro-layers of stainless steel and aluminum), blends perfectly with Polk RTi main speakers. Its smooth response and high power handling make it the perfect center piece of any home theater system. It boasts smooth, neutral response; high efficiency, and clear, detailed sound -- even for off-axis listening positions.

Submitted by aasatellites a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I am noticing that those who are sharing less than grand info about the CS245i have problems with the color, or the size, or the lack of bass, or the lack of sound, being overpowered, etc. With color, deal with it; if you don't like black you know that coming in the door, don't buy it. Size?? I would apologize but if the speaker is 5.25" tall . . . it is going to be at least that high. If you want something smaller . . . you want a smaller speaker, eh? Simple logic. With the lack of bass . . . well, I disregard those comments immediately; they obviously don't know that the center channel is not responsible for bass. If they don't know that I disregard their comments as unintelligent ramblings. Get a subwoofer and call it a day or deal with the fact that low frequencies will not be replicated in their system. With lack of sound . . . I can only say that either the receiver is substandard or the power to the center channel is inadequate to power an outstanding speaker. Spend a few bucks and get a receiver with guts. Overpowered??? well, maybe those huge surround speakers are not really surround speakers --> Maybe they are stereo loudspeakers that are forced to do double duty. If you want party sound in a cinema system you are going to have to pay thousands. Hook those monster speakers to the "B" channel and put the proper surround speakers on your "A" channel for theater use. Knowledge of your equipment and its capabilites, what it is supposed to do, etc is important before dragging the reputation of an innocent through the mud. It grates on me when a forum to access the qualities of a piece of equipment is used to voice a personal agenda or by those who don't know squat.

I install theater systems. I have done it for a long time. I have installed many different speaker systems - speaker combinations; I don't have a favorite. To be blunt, if someone bad mouths this speaker their head must be in a bucket of water or up an orifice south of their beltline. In short, this speaker perfectly produces the frequency ranges it is supposed to. If you ask it to do something it is not designed to do and it doesn't do it . . . don't be dissappointed; a plummer wasn't trained to pilot a jet either. I use this speaker in my home setup, not because it is the best but because for the value and its capabilities, it can't be beat and I don't believe in overkill. I have six KLH 6.5 flush mount surround speakers and a Yamaha 6.5" sub. All this is being pushed by a Denon 7.1 AVR receiver. The entire system cost less than $750 and it matches the sound quality of several $2000 - $3000 systems I have installed. Remember I am speaking sound quality, not amplitude. In all this, I will say that this Polk center channel is the focal point and it does double duty in music quality and theather sound reproduction. Voices are heard clearly; music highs and mids, what this speaker was designed to do, splits your skull. It is unbelievable. The tight bass from the Yamaha and this center give a one - two punch that covers the entire spectrum of human listening capability. I can't ask a speaker to do anything else. I will not say that this center is the best I have ever seen. What I will say is that in this price range, wearing a blindfold, you can find its equal but nothing better.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by 74cuda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
for a starter h/t this is an o k center.fair deal at discount,average to good product

Purchased At:   cc

Submitted by nick_p a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm selling my beloved Polk CS245i Center Channel! I've recently built a large home theatre and upgraded to Polk's largest center channel. I have monster tower speakers which did not match exactly with my CS245i. That said, I must say that this a very adequate and powerful center channel for the large majority of home theater systems. I've used it for a year and a half for occassional DVD movies only. I do not use the center to listen to music. It is in mint condition. Polk is an amazing company that delivers extremely high end products for great value. All of my speakers are Polk. I have demoed many costly high end speakers over the years and have found that Polk products equal or surpass many of them. It is my opinion that for the majority of receivers or amps under $1000, spending extra money on super high end speakers will not produce any perceived improvements in sound. I can best describe this speaker as powerful yet not overwhelming - it blends in perfectly. It has excellent presence that seems to articulate every nuance and detail in a dvd soundtrack.

This model has been replace by the CSi30 which is identical in speaker and tweeter design. This is a great chance to own a well cared for, like new speaker at less than half price. I will sell for a great price plus S&H and absolutely guarantee that it arrives without a single scratch via purolator. Comes with a 3 year warranty. Enjoy!

Purchased At:   Brick

Submitted by asap2006 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent center channel speaker that holds up to many more expensive ones from other brands. The sound is warm and never tiring. They blend perfectly my other Polk speakers and are also surprisingly good with other brands that have a full/warm sound as well. I Used this speaker for about 5 months now with my RT25i's as my mains and have enjoyed the sound very much. However, I've decided to upgrade to the CS400i or CSi40. Chances are if you're reading this review you are interested in it...

**SO IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING THIS GEM OF A SPEAKER THAT HAS BEEN BARELY USED (only 18 or so hours), please email me at asap2006@yahoo.com

I've never stressed the speaker and haven't played more than 10 movies/20 hours on it. It's connected to my Yamaha RX-V595a and the volume level on that receiver was never even turned past 9 o'clock.

Purchased At:   crutchfield

Submitted by Mpouli101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
The CS245 sounded better than most other center channel speakers I tried at local stores. I bought it because I could not afford the B & W center that I wanted. Was very disapointed to find that no Polk speakers are made in the USA anymore. All are made in their new factory in Mexico!