Optimus PRO CS-3
Description: CENTER CHANNEL WITH A PAIR 4" MIDRANGE & SOFT DOME TWEETER

Submitted by SHAWNSY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've had this little center for 7 years now and I have to say that it's really a teriffic little center for the money yes but even in general. Nothing touched it for the money--nothing! It's clean, accurate and has amazingly big sound for it's little size. Fits perfectly between my receiver and my dvd on top of my 60" Mitsubishi. I can't find a center this small with this good of sound.

Purchased At:   RADIO SHACK

Submitted by recoveryone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I brought this unit to replace a genric center by RCA. I pass that one on to my son. I tested the unit with the Matrix, It handle it very well. It gave my front a even balance with the Optimus Pro X77's I using. I notice it take's a little more power to push this unit, but I don't mind. For my bedroom setup this center speaker works real well.

AMP: Pioneer 309 VSX DD DTS

Rear Optimus Pro X77's old style pre 94

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Charles Byrd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
For the money it's hard to beat, but I will be replacing it as soon as I can free up some funds. It is very sturdy, sounds good, it just does not have the bass needed for a good center. If it had 5" woofers it would probably sound alot deeper.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by DB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the Optimus Pro-CS1, which is not among the products listed for review. The Optimus line, as many are aware, has now been replaced by RCA named products.

The Pro-CS1 is a center-channel speaker that has a woodgrain cabinet and spring-clip connectors. It has a soft-dome polycarbonate tweeter flanked by two 4 1/2" mid/woofers. It listed for $79.99, but I purchased one for $39.99 about 2 years ago.

For 40 bucks, the sound is quite good. It seems to match fairly well with my main speakers, a set of Infinity Studio Monitor 100's, which I have owned for 13 years. One day soon, I do hope to upgrade, but this speaker fills the bill for now. The power-handling capability is only 35 watts, and at times this speaker has shown signs of a bit of stress when played loud. Also, vocals do sound a touch "hollow" when listening to music through it in the Pro-Logic mode. But overall, a pretty decent speaker for the price. They are almost identical in appearance to a center channel that JBL markets for a bout $100. I recently auditioned the JBL N-Center, which I think sounded quite nice for a $139 speaker, though I did not care for its bulbous appearance.

Submitted by JR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
At 29 bucks on closeout it was hard to pass this one up. I have searched extensively in my local market and cant find a speaker that can touch the quality of this one for under 129 dollars. Sounds far better than the Infinity CC1 as well as the Boston CS?1. The other speakers under 129 were all crap (ie. KLH, Yamaha, Sony etc.) and I am not yet willing to spend 200+ on a center just yet. The speaker features 2 4" poly drivers and a .75 soft dome tweeter housed in a sturdy plasic case with removable cloth grille. Suprisingly enough it matches my Boston CR8's fairly well, probably because they both use soft domes. The only complaint would be the push type terminals. Overall, an excellent choice for entry level home theater for those on a budget.