ONIX Rocket RSC200
Description: 3-way rear-vented design, Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, one custom 4" midrange and two custom 6.5" long-throw aluminum cone woofers, 50Hz-20kHz ±3dB, 4 Ohm impedance, 91dB sensitivity, 46lbs.

Submitted by 2mnygs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
If this speaker doesnt make you say " Holy...." maybe you expect to pay $1000 or more for a nice center channel.
Right out of the box, I was very impressed! The finish is gorgeous. I havent gotten a chance to integrate it into my current Onix theater system due to renovation, but I was able to hook it up to my daily entertainment system using an older Sony receiver and low grade Monster Cable. Hooking it up was simple, however the speaker is HEAVY, so dont underestimate the fact that its just a center channel. I began to play some music through it and right away I saw potential of being the best center channel Ive listened to. The speaker is clear, precise and thourough throughout the freq sweep. Im not a big multi-channel audio listener... but this might change my mind. Im curious to hear the timbre matching between my current 750's and the center.
Im not sure what we did in the audio universe, or better yet what the audio universe has done to us. But we always tend to think that "more money buys better equiptment". The fact is true for for most things but Onix is doing wonderous things changing the paradigm. I will add to this review when everything is up and running in the theater.

Submitted by dcz7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
After months of research looking and auditioning many different speakers at local dealers, I saw an add for the Rockets on Audiorevolution.com. I then read the review for the Rockets on the Audiorevolution.com website, it made me very curious. So I then went to the AV123.com and spent a few months just reading literally everything ever posted in the forums there.

I then decided to take the leap and purchase the #2 Rocket HT system. Doubt immediately ensued, because no matter how good anyone else says it may be, you could still not like it. After receiving the package though and opening it up I was amazed at how good it all looked. I had been at many, many local dealers and looked at speakers well beyond my price range and felt as though these looked just as good if not better than most of those other really high priced speakers.

Now for sound, that's what counts the most right?

The RSC200 sounds as good or better than everything I had previously heard, except for an Aerial CC5 center, but that thing cost ~$4,000. The sound is very clear thru the RSC200 and my fiancé, my brother, and myself were able to now understand all of the hardest dialogue in any movie we watched. Where as before in many scenes words were hard to understand or just not understandable at all, on many of the centers I had auditioned.

Sound effects in action intense scenes also play crystal clear thru the RSC200. Such as many action scenes in Band of Brothers, LOTR, and Star Wars.

The RSC200 also does an outstanding job for multi-channel music. Whether it's SACD or DVD-Audio, or even a redbook cd being playing in DPLII. It's all there, all the notes, all the depth, and all the layers.

Do yourself a favor and check out AV123.com and check Audioenvy.com and see if someone in your area can give you a demo.

Purchased At:   AV123.com

Submitted by Matt G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
This was the speaker that sold me on the Onix Rocket series of speakers for my home theater. I auditioned it (along with other Rocket speakers) mainly by watching the first chapter of "The Fellowship of the Ring" in which a female narrator describes the history of the ring. I was extremely impressed and gained a new respect for what a center channel should sound like. The sound from the RSC200 is authoritative, clear and concise and blends in seamlessly to the compliment of Rocket speakers around it. Considering 80%-90% of the sound content of movies is driven by the center channel, the quality of this speaker was very important to me. I have not heard another center channel that sounds better; certainly not in its price range.

The build quality is impeccable: piano black on top and bottom, real rosewood veneer wrapped around the rest. My wife loves our entire set of Rockets which have the same look.

That said, the enormous sound that this center channel speaker produces comes from an enormous speaker. The speaker weighs 46 pounds and measures 12" H x 10.5" D x 25" W. If you are thinking about placing it on top of a TV, this might be an issue for you. Also, it is rated at 4 Ohms nominal; wimpy amps need not apply.

Purchased At:   AV123.com