Klipsch KSF C5
Description: Center Channel, good match for the "Synergy" series.

Submitted by BB_Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
KSF System and Yamaha Amp
I stumbled across a complete set of KSF speakers about 5 years ago, in one auction, on eBay and bought it all for $500 to create a new home theater (KSF-10.5, KSF-C5, KSF-S5, and the KSW12). Yes, I got an amazing deal and gladly paid the $300 shipping to get them home. Once all the construction was completed, I connected the speakers to an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver and spent hours adjusting everything to get it just how I liked it. The system sounded very good.....so I thought.
As technology changed, I wanted to upgrade to HDMI and be able to view the video source either on my theater screen or an LCD on the adjacent wall - so I started looking for a receiver with two HDMI outputs (not many options at that time). As a result, I took the plunge and purchased the Yamaha RX-V3900 (140 watts/ch, .04%, and $1400) and set it up....page by page.
I purchased the amp to improve my video quality and capability, but I had no idea what it was going to do to my sound quality. The KSF speaker sound is amazing - and everyone is blown away that hears them.
I have read several reviews that say the same thing - your receiver (amp) has a huge impact on the performance of the KSF speakers. If you plan to audition any set of speakers - try listening to this song (AFI - Prelude 12/21) because it has 3 distinct sections that build upon themselves and when phase 3 kicks in, your room will be pulsing with crystal clear highs and thunderous lows.
I recently moved to NC and was able to take all my equipment with me. My new theater room is much larger and is coming along nicely. I have no intension of parting with the KSF speakers or the Yamaha RX-V3900. If anything, I might be looking to add two more KSF-S5 speakers for the 7.1 surround. Glad to see they are still available on eBay - but not often. At this time, I only have the C5 and 10.5 speakers connected and I am very impressed at the sound quality with just 3 speakers. The C5 does a great job and I forget it is sitting on the floor under a 12' wide screen. I know they will sound better once I get the entire system connected and balanced, but the point is - the C5 does a great job. If you buy the C5 speaker or the entire system, you will not be disappointed. It ROCKS!
I am not an Audiophile or sound expert - but I pride myself on quality rather than quantity.
If you get a chance to buy the KSF speakers - they are monsters and love high quality power.
Best of luck to you.....

Strength: Sound great with music or movies
Weakness: They are huge and take up a lot of space (but that is not a problem for me)
Recommendations: Connect them to a high quality amp to get the best sound out of them.
Regrets: None - they sound great and I plan to keep them as long as possible
Favorite Audition Song: AFI - Prelude 12/21

Submitted by pathighgate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a great center channel which has exceeded my expectations. I picked it up from eBay for $137 and I feel I got an incredible deal; other auctions for the same unit have been in the $200 range. I’ve had a pair of KSF-10.5s for over 8 years that I’ve been using primarily as a music only system in the bedroom, but I’ve recently been upgrading that setup into a second home theatre. According to the manual for the older floor-standing KSF speakers, Klipsch recommends the C-5 center channel, claiming it has been engineered to work well with the 10.5s.

And work well it does. I was blown away the first time I popped into a DVD with a good soundtrack. For music, the center doesn’t add a whole heck of a lot, but for digitally encoded movies, the difference is like night and day. I can’t recall ever having such a dramatic jump in overall system performance from one speaker.

In overall system ratings, on a scale from 1 to 100, (with 1 being an old clock radio that emits high volume static whenever you touch a knob, 5 being your average stereo setup, and 100 being the ultimate perfection in audio), the introduction of the C5 jumped my overall ratings of the bedroom system from 60 to 75. It’s that dramatic.

Voice matching with the 10.5s is superb. After I hooked it up and balanced it with the rest of the system, I ran the ‘360 sweep’ test from my diagnostics DVD that plays white noise in a circling pattern, blending the sound with the next speaker as it travels around the room. I could easily tell the difference from my rear speakers (the S5 surrounds are going to be my next purchase), but as it faded in and out from its neighbors, the 10.5s, you could close your eyes and not distinguish the difference between the speakers up front

I’m also very pleased with how the system handles weaker power. My receiver, an old Yamaha RXV-592 which—ever since I purchased a separate digital processor that I use as a pre-amp--now acts as a standalone amplifier, provides 75 watts for all the front channels. Just like the 10.5s, the C5 handles that power masterfully. These things can get LOUD without noticeable distortion.

With the inclusion of the C5, my bedroom home theatre now rivals the sound in most modern movie theatres. Granted, the small sound stage helps a lot; my bedroom is only 11’x13’. Nonetheless this is a fantastic center channel speaker, and I’m beginning to like it more then the Paradigm Studio CC-470 I have in the other room (but, as much as I love those KSF 10.5 speakers, they still can’t compete with the Reference Studio 80s in the main home theatre.

I only have one complaint with the C5s: They’re really big. I can’t really fault Klipsch, since this was probably the smallest size they could make it without compromising fidelity. Currently it sits atop my widescreen Phillips 30” CRT, almost dwarfing it. The one center speaker is only a few inches shorter then a widescreen TV, and it looks almost comically disproportionate.

If you have the KSF 10.5 or the KSF 8.5s, I doubt you’ll be able to find another center that will compliment the sound of your loudspeakers as well as the C5. There seems to be an auction for the C5 on ebay every few weeks, so it’d be worth checking it out.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by ickybod a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just bought a RC-35 to replace this older non reference center. I did not like the 35 as soon as I heard it. I then spent a few hours breaking it in but got no better. I did a lot of comparing switching back and forth. The KSF c-5 sounds better! More open, bright airy, clearer. I just put the 35 on ebay for $100 less than I paid for it. I want to hear a RC-3 side by side but this matches my RF-3s very well, the RC-35 did not.

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, after a few months use I have decided, because of the perfect timbre match with my front KSP300's,this is one good center speaker.Good clarity.Good bass.My previous favorite,although a fine center,has been relegated to storage.The KSF-C5 is a very good center speaker.Get one.

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just bought this speaker recently to use with 5 KSP300's.I bought this speaker because it is optimized for the KSPs and
they are getting scarce.Lifted the monster KLFC7 from the top of my tv and tested the KSFC5.I could tell immediately the high end matched the 300's well but also that the C5 is
a much different sounding speaker as opposed to the C7.The C7 will easily overplay every speaker in the house and must be calibrated with the other speakers.The C7 plays much lower than the C5 and is probably the best center speaker Klipsch has built in recent history.The C5 seemed to leave a
hole in the bass and the overall character of the sound was affected.Anyway the C5 is a great speaker and I will probably make room in the closet for it and continue using the undisputed champ of Klipsch center speakers,the KLFC7.