JBL SVA Center Center Channels

4.58/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $430.00

Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by Mandy Bartels a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Bottom Line:
I mostly writing to the guy wishing he had the whole set.
I was just in a pawn shop garden city exchange (Garden city Michigan) they put there stuff on ebay.
Im selling the woofers and crossover on ebay now coulda sworn when I got this it had no
tweeter behind the middle horn. but they had the whole set. with A tweeter in the middle.
They are really good with prices I picked up 4 nib jbl 4312c 4 $700.
I'm sure they would list the whole set on ebay if someone wanted it.

Submitted by peyebp4 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I can only echo the outstanding reviews on this site. I only wish I had snagged the rest of the sva line when i got this speaker for a STEAL.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Randal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an update on my earlier review about a year ago. Our HT has since been completed and the room EQed with the Audio Control THX EQ. Performance is incredible, sounding as good as the larger JBL Synthesis systems, with good reason (continure reading below). That review metioned at length the surprising lack of THX certification of the vertical model, the SVA 1500. As and interesting and happy turn of events, the 1500 has been resurrected as the THX Ultra certified HT4V. This model only differs in one way: the tweeter has been changed to titanium. I'm sure the titanium horn loaded tweeter sounds great, but I doubt that it makes a significant improvement to the SVA sound which is superb.

Notable is the fact that this new speaker is in JBL's ultra high-end Synthesis line. New MSRP is $550 and may only be sold as a complete system. Check out the JBL Synthesis web site. If you have the SVAs or can find them, count yourself lucky, especially if you got them in the amazing closeouts about a year ago where the 1500s could be found for less than $200 a pair. If you can find a used couple of pair now you will still have great performance at a great price. Good luck

Submitted by R. Boone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
The highs in this speaker are produced using JBL's "Bi-Radial" horn and inject sound into the room. (This is a true compression horn, not the gimmicky "Constant-Directivity" one found on the HLS series.) Cymbals, the sound of ejected casings (ala "The Matrix"), glass breaking---basically any sounds 2500Hz or above--float into the listening space absolutely in-your-face and distortion-free. You have never heard anything like it!

Female voices aren't sibilant, while males are reproduced without the boominess associated with lower-end speakers. Off-axis response is amazing...I can travel the length of my couch without noticing any difference in sound quality.

I've always been a fan of JBL's products, but lately they seem to have fallen behind the home theater curve in terms of performance vs. value. With so many companies--many only a few years old--now competing for your dollar, the old dogs like JBL need to learn some new tricks. It's funny that JBL would opt to discontinue the SVA line, as the speakers wearing the SVA badge are some of the best in recent history and handily whip the competition at the same price point.

My guess is that when the SVA series was alive and well, their pricing was "high" relative to home theater's infancy. Today, however, paying $599.99 (I believe the SVA Center retailed for something like this back in 1997) for a center channel of this quality is expected.

Note to JBL: Bring back the SVA line...

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this on closeout from Best Buy to match my SVA-1800 speakers but due to the poor magnetic shielding it distorted the picture when sitting on top of my television. Into the closet it went until I bought my new Toshiba CZ32V51 and I decided I really wanted a center speaker for my surround system. I found if I placed the speaker about 3 inches back there was no distortion, but the rear support leg was too short to support it. I ended up going to Home Depot and buying the same size steel rod in about a 3 foot length and a cheap can of black spray paint. Once cut to size and painted it supports the rear of the speaker and looks and sounds great. Obviously this speaker was designed to sit on top of a larger rear projection TV but with a little work as far as placement and support it's working great on top of my direct view 32".