EFE Technology C-2 Center Channel Speaker
Description: <ul> <li>2 Way (2 X 6 1/2" midwoofers & 1 X 30mm tweeter)</li> <li>30-150 watts</li> <li>22"w X 9"h X 10"d</li>

Submitted by mac a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
This speaker is paired with Ed’s T-22CF’s comprising my front soundstage. It is the C-2CF. Read the review I wrote on the T-22CF’s, as the center speaker is basically the same model as the fronts with the same specs. This speaker does a superb job of voice re-creation for multi channel audio and DVD movies as well as overall sound reproduction. Extremely clean and accurate throughout the whole spectrum. I am most impressed with the highs these speakers are able to reproduce with extreme accuracy and clarity. I have yet to hear speakers at any price that sound better than the combination I have.

If you plan on using the T-22CF’s as fronts, the C-2CF is the perfect match for both looks and timbre matching. They make for a seamless soundstage for your home theater. Their clarity and detail are going to be extremely hard to beat, especially for the price. Coupled with the personal service Ed offers, it’s a no brainer!

Purchased At:   EFE Technologies

Submitted by fitero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
Here, I'll post an e-mail that I sent to the manufacturer that sais it all.

Hi Ed,
I had a chance to take my C-2 in to work this morning, and spent some time listening and comparing it to other equipment on hand.

I powered it with a Classe' SSP-300 processor ($4000), Classe' CA-5200 amplifier ($8000), and a Rotel RDV-1060 DVD player ($900). The left and right speakers were B&W Nautilus 802's ($8000). The speaker I specifically compared it to, was the B&W HTM1, center channel ($2000).

I listened to a new Peter Gabriel DVD. I have been a Genesis and Peter Gabriel fan since about 1977.
Oh, by the way, I had placed a 1.8 ohm resistor in series with the tweeter. I was clearly able to tell a difference between it and a 1.9 ohm resistor on my home system.

I think I told you what my thoughts were concerning music reproduction, but just in case, I'll bend your ear again.
To me, B&W loudspeakers represent one side of the argument. e.g. to make a sound transducer that reproduces, with an extremely high degree of accuracy the input music signal. Their speaker cabinets are designed to resonate at frequencies inaudible to us, or not at all if possible!
On the other end of the spectrum , you have, say Harbeth, which makes monitors that recreate the mid-range as realistically (note choice of word) as possible, and who design their cabinets to add harmonics to some degree. Just as the combination of maple and dammar-type varnish seem to add that certain something to the sound of violins. Ever heard of a violin body made of walnut?

I think that believable music reproduction is quite difficult actually. The beautiful, moving, goose-bump inducing sounds are recorded, processed, pressed and then reproduced electronically in our living rooms. Quite difficult. In that process, I think that, most often, the micro-dynamics, or harmonics (the ones that we find pleasing) or whatever you would like to call it, are stripped from the original performance. Speakers and systems such as the B&W's that I listed before, reproduce this music quite efficiently, impressively so! They don't sound moving or live to me.
So often, wood of many types are incorporated into our music reproduction devices and/or listening environments to make the overall event of the play-back of music more believeable or pleasing, due to the woods' resonant addition if you will. I don't know this, (or anything else for that matter!) for fact, but it's what I believe.
Anyway, on to the comparison.
The first song of the DVD, is a lovely vocal of Peter's love for his Dad. Peter plays a grand piano, and sings solo. with the B&W HTM1, the music was nice. With the C-2, the music was moving and believable. The piano was there behind the curtain in my room, and Peter's voice was close to real. On another track, the song starts with someone blowing through a long horn-like instrument, then blends into a bass guitar plucking it's first notes. Here, the B&W reproduced the leading edge pluck, of the bass guitar more believably than the C-2, but quickly lost ground, and reverted to it's typical mid-range reticence on the rest of the spectrum. Again, I preferred the C-2 overall. I repeat my standard for comparison; moving and believable.
Oh, by the way, I was also accompanied by an enthusiastic young salesman, who also happens to be an audio-nut like myself. He thought that the C-2 was better than the B&W, and said "What a bargain".
I also compared this speaker to Dynaudio's $850, Audience, 122C at home, powered by a Panasonic SA-XR70. The Dynaudio was too lean in it's mid-range in comparison, and not as believable.

Purchased At:   Direct from manufact

Submitted by yb355 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the C-2 with a pair of the T-22 speakers to be used in a 6.1 home theater system. The C-2 and T-22 are the same speakers. The C-2 just has a horizontal speaker connection in the rear. The C-2 is the perfect center channel match for the T-22's or the T-60's. I have not heard the T-36's but I am sure it would be an excellent match with them also. The build quality and finish on all of my EFE speakers have been superb and my C-2 is no exception. It is in a dark mahogany and it looks stunning. The sound quality of this center channel is marvelous. It creates a seamless soundstage between your right and left speakers. Whether you are watching a movie, listening to a concert, or listening to surround sound music this center channel delivers. Dialog & music are both crisp,clear and natural at all listening levels. At $500.00 this center channel is a bargain as are all the EFE speakers. If you want a true high end speaker at a resonable price then the EFE speaker line is what you are looking for. The costumer service is some of the best that I have seen. Ed returned all my e-mails promptly, answered my questions honestly, and was a wealth of information. You can e-mail Ed Frias at EFESPKRS@AOL.COM . Mr Frias is a true rarity in high end audio. He dosn't just want to sell you speakers. He wants to sell you quality hand made speakers that will compete with high end speakers at fraction of the cost.

Purchased At:   EFE Technology

Submitted by jbt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me begin with by saying the following: I do not hold an advanced degree in electrical engineering. I cannot tell you how many giggawatts a given component requires to activate its flux capacitor and achieve a level of sonic performance never before achieved by mankind. Fortunately, one does not need to be able to construct a speaker to be able to appreciate the end result.
I spent a good deal of time researching and auditioning speakers…while many sounded very good, I did not find anything that really made me want to part with the amount of money required. Somewhat discouraged, I returned to the online reviews. Based solely on the merit of the posted reviews, I contacted Ed Frias (EFE Technologies) regarding his speakers.
The level of customer support provided prior to my purchase of his T-22 & C-2 speakers was unparalleled. Perhaps not as important to those intimately familiar with the art and science of speaker construction, but it was critical to me. Every question emailed was answered, every phone call pleasantly received. Even more satisfying is the fact that Mr. Frias continues to offer support/advice on a variety of topics. He has gone above and beyond all of my expectations.
I have read that most speakers require a lot of burn-in time before they begin to sound their best. This was not the case with the T-22/C-2 speakers. Right out of the box (superbly packaged for shipment), the sound was amazing! I decided to go with the T-22/C-2 for a couple of reasons: The sealed cabinet design (which I believed would yield greater detail), the size, and of course, the cost. NOTE: I do not own the necessary equipment to measure the frequency range of the speakers so I’ll have to be subjective. The Highs are crystal clear, the Mid-range produces vocals that are the best I have ever heard from any speaker, and the Bass extends remarkably low for a speaker of this size. The clarity and level of detail EFE Technology achieves is incredible. These speakers sound exactly the way I hoped they would!
Overall, I am extraordinarily pleased with this purchase. While I purchase quite a few things online, I was nervous spending $990 pair T-22 / $500 C-2 center for a product I had not seen or heard. I can say that my faith has paid off. I highly recommend EFE Technologies and Mr. Ed Frias.

Purchased At:   EFE Technologies

Submitted by V.R. Sola a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Efe technology C2 center channel speaker (same as T22 EFE speakers)
Associated equipment
Outlaw 1050 receiver. Audio by Van Alstine Omega star pre amplifier, 120 watts omega star power amplifiers .Panasonic 51 DVD. Phillips cables from wal- mart,
I purchased this speaker from EFE technology, speaker manufacturer Ed frias himself 500$ Plus 60$ shipping with black laminate. This purchase is based on the 5 star rating from the reviewers, their kind e-mails with their very favorable opinions
A review will follow after extended use.
I compared this with directly with Atlantic technology T90 center channel speaker and a single B&W 804 .I live in rural Appalachia and I have neither the patience nor time to go to a nearest city to listen well known Audiophile brand name speakers .Some of them cost more than C2($560) as a center speaker and I have to match them with front surrounds which cost lot more.
The way this speaker is packed and finished gave me confidence that they will be good speakers, made with precision and care.EFE technology also traced the fed express shipping progress and infomred me when fed ex guys could not locate my house.
For me that is first class service and care.

This is a speaker with full range which reaches up to or slightly below 50 HZs.Thus there is no need to use my large space occupying Boxy sub woofer. With my earlier set up I find my self changing the sub woofer volume differently for music and for DVD home theater.
They play bass when the music or movies presents it. There is no excessive bass- but only optimal bass as the recording demands.
An audiologist friend of mine commented if excessive bass from a sub woofer which can vibrate sheet rock and furniture it will also vibrate the Tympanic membrane, calvarium, gray and white matter.
It presents male and female vocals, bass and stringed instruments transparently with great dynamic range, with out adding any colorations and taking away some part of the spectrum.
It is not magnetically shielded. But there is no distortion of the picture in my 52 inches rear projection T.V
For smaller TV, C2 may be rather large (30 lbs) 22 inches in length and for Tube TV it may cause distortion of the picture unless kept at least 6 inches elevated either on a stand or on large telephone directories. It is angled downwards using door stop wedges in the rear. To prevent any scratches to the plastic TV cabinet I covered the bottom with a thin sheet of sponge.
Compared to my outlaw receiver it plays much better with by my pre and power amplifier set up. Of course AVA omega pre and power amplifiers cost 6 times more. With larger amplifiers the vocals are very clear and there is a significant increase in the dynamic range. The dialogs are not muffled in low volume.Even with my outlaw receiver it made a big change.Now I can forget about cables, DAC an such stuff as these speaker made an appreciable improvement. Full spectrum of frequencies is heard well even at low volume and no distortion at high volume. The subtle sounds and their micro dynamic range at low volumes are well appreciated at low volumes since I live in an apartment. The timber of this speaker matches with DIY speakers. The DIY speakers will be used as rear surrounds when I get my T36 speakers for front surrounds.
It really does not matter for me what famous brand name audiophile speakers I have, how expensive they are-I have to live with them and this T22 speaker allows me to enjoy music for hours and hours without getting tired and without thinking about what other famous brand speaker I should purchase next as a replacement.I compared them with B&W 804 speaker and it is better in dynamic range, clarity and transparency.
The end point of this review ---for me and the satisfying moment of this purchase is my wife commented” why did not you purchase it at the first time and it is lot better than your previous speakers and now think and spend some money in purchasing some Disney DVDs for our grand son and C.Discs for me..”
For me that is an Audiophile review of five star rating.

Purchased At:   efespkrs@aol.com