Dynaudio Contour T2.1 Center Channels

4.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1799.00

Two-way Center channel or L/R compact monitor loudspeaker. Rear-ported bass-reflex, magnetically shielded.

Submitted by Kenr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
After reading the review below I had to respond with my thoughts on the T2.1s. First off I have them mated with a pair of Contour 3.3 and I must say the three speakers work very well together. The dialog out of these speakers is very clear and dynamic, unlike andygoods review. Also I don't understand why some people think that a speaker that has been designed for music isn't going to make a good home theater speaker. Thats a bunch of crap there is much more than dialog going on in film, lots of music. Sure if your source is bad a revealing speaker is going to sound worse but why dumb your system down? While listen in HT these speakers constantly amaze me. Imaging iis awesome. I also don't think the port in the rear is a problem. I have a front projection speaker and my center is at least 18" away from the wall so it works for me. The speakers go a little lower with the plugs out.

System-
Classe CP60
Well Tempered TT

Submitted by andygood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought the Dynaudio 52 bookshelfs and wanted to partner them with a better center than the Audience 122C. I found the T2.1 on a store closeout for a great price and was thrilled to get such a regal speaker from the Contour line for under $1,000. I was expecting big things but what I got was an average performer.

In comparison to my old M&K 750 center, the sound was much softer and less involving. Dynaudio, without a doubt, makes a fine speaker with the emphasis on music, but for home theater, especially a center, I am looking for a certain level of clarity and dynamics. For a $1,400 retail speaker, my expectations were something really special and what I got was a decent center with a level of performance that can be matched at a lower price point.

I think herein lies the problem trying to make a center to match a line of speakers that are designed for music, its' hard to do both well. My advice is that if you have Audience or Contour speakers and your preference is music, you'll do fine with this speaker for occasional movies and it should be great for multi-channel music.

Again, its certainly a nice speaker, it's just not anything special. I am using high end separates and have experience with alot of different speakers so my opinion is somewhat qualified. If you are looking to make a purchase and you are weighted toward home theater, you can do better. If music is your bag, Dynaudios are nice and by default, this is their offering. Acurate sound, especially voices.

Purchased At:   Soundex

Submitted by Gerard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Exceptionally good speaker. A little overprized but definitely something that you what to keep in your cinema room.

Purchased At:   A&B SOund