Bose VCS 10
Description: Ported Center Channel Speaker - (4) 2.5" Drivers

Submitted by Josh Burkett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
Interesting little speaker.. I own the latest model 301's and at the time was running a klipsch center channel. Sound was awesome, but i did not have a great place for the center so it looked funny with the flat screen sitting on top of it. I decided to go with the vcs10 and place it directly in front of the tv. Out of the box and without touching any settings on the Onkyo TXNR609 I was a little dissapointed. The 301's had noticeably more high end and as subjects panned across the front stage the vcs10 sounded a bit flat. By setting the treble on 0 and increasing the center eq in the reciever on the 16000khz setting just a bit I was able to perfectly stabilize the front sound stage regarding high end frequency. I had to do the same with the low end. Bass was set to 0 on the reciever and the center channel frequency (low frequency) was increased just a bit. This evened up the low and mid frequency. As subjects panned across the front sound stage the sound was seamless. By lowering the bass on the reciever my 301's actually cleaned up and a lot of muddiness was resolved. In comparison to the way I had the system set up using the klispch the overall sound is much improved. I now have a nice flat response with no peaks or spikes over certain frequencies. The onkyo has the ability to adjust bass and treble like all recievers, however with the TXNR609 you can boost different frequencies for each channel. This makes all the difference in the world. A person should not expect this center to keep up with speakers when you run bass and treble as high as you can. It is obviously going to come up short since it has no tweeters and the drivers are very small. You must set the center to the small setting in your reciever. This allows a small portion of low end from the sub to blend nicely with the center. Depending on your sub and front mains will determine where the low frequency crossover is set. Example; I have a small to med size room. I set my 301's to large (they play down to approx 60hz) and the rest of the channels are set to small. (If I set the mains to small the low frequences through the sub are over emphasized. If i lower the sub then it does not blend well with my center and rear speakers.) I set my sub to LFE and let my reciever to the work. It is set at 120hz so it works great with the center and rears since they most likely don't play below that frequency. Overall I am very happy with this center channel. The reciever is THX certified and will play quite loud. I have watched the transformer movies at THX levels and the speaker has kept up nicely. Absolutley clear undistorted sound. Again this is my set up in my living room. Different size rooms will yield different results. I would not attempt to use this in a large room with large mains. It would be a bad choice. With my small room my mains sound better with a flat signal which works out great for this center. I have heard many systems that sound great. After getting to know the characteristics of this speaker I would say it has the potential to contend with much higher end models IF you know how to set up your system. Just a comment regarding a review where it stated the speaker had no crossover....The drivers are full range drivers. Obviously due to the size of the speakers and response some would say limited range...haaa. I run pretty high power to this speaker and have never heard any type of distortion which would be associated with making a speaker try to play something it wasn't capable of. I think bose did a good job on this one.

Submitted by jinky janky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
To the bose bashers"how stupid are you to buy such a crappy speaker?Didn't you try it?"
To every body else with half a brain.If you want a great speaker for the center channel that does a great job of reproducing the voice and to be able to hear it clearly,then this speaker is for you.
Since when does a center speaker need to produce bass?Thats why i have a sub and a couple of Jmlabs at the front.The center has one job to do --reproduce dialouge clearly no matter what volume .This speaker does it brilliantly straight out of the box.
The problem with big center channels is that they are boomy.They tend to over whelm the higher mid frequencies make the voice sound muddy.
I had a jm lab center with a hefty $1000 price tag but found when i was watching movies the voice just wasn't clear all the time.I had to constantly adjust the EQ.The movie Zodiac was the last straw.Every body seemed to mumble.So when i went to the tv speaker it was clear.So i wanted a speaker that was like my 127 cm pioneer plasma but could handle the power of my denon avc-a1se .Welcome the bose .
Since then i've never had to rewind to see what they were saying.The price doesn't reflect how good this baby does as a center for movies.
Try it .My dealer said if i didn't like it i could bring it back.No way!I hocked my other center on Ebay and won't be changing this for a while.
It seems like its a sin to be a bose user and a audiophile.Go waste your hard earned money on some elitist product,I'm sticking to the basics.Buy the way this is the only bose product I own.My jm labs do a great job as fronts and backs but maybe I'll check them out next time i decide to upgrade.
Go out and have a listen for your self don't let the negatives put you off a great center speaker ...You'll be surprised

Purchased At:   pacific hi fi AUSTRA

Submitted by daddysdvds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well you either hate them or love the. I purchased this speaker because I needed a new center channel. This was right in my price range at the time. I already own a pair of bose 701 series 2 floor standing speakers and I use a bose jewel cube for my rear center. Bose has always struck me as a sexy speaker because of their size and ability to blend into the walls. But I am moving on. The 701's I will keep for now but the center has to go. It lacks the range needed to truly reproduce the full vocal range and dynamics that a center should. I use to have a Klipsch sc-1 and I cant for the life of me figure out why I got rid of it. I bought another klipsch center cause the bose center is a joke. For those that are saying that this speaker just needs more power and a little tweaking for it to come alive are on crack. The efficiency of the bose is low enough that you do need to drive it hard to get it to speak up but it sounds muffled. And I have a Yamaha Reference 9.1 receiver. Hopefully some sucker on ebay will buy mine.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
After reading many reviews for this center channel (most of which were negative) I still decided to go with this center. Bose has a sound that my ears like. I am fully aware of their ridiculous prices, cheap materials, and extreme marketing.

I was replacing an 8 yr old Accoustic Research center which still sounds great. I also bought the Bose 301's for front left and right which were replacing a pair of JBL S-26's which also still sound great. These are all hooked to a cheap RCA receiver going through an Audio Source EQ.

After taking them out of their boxes, I thought they looked very nice, almost classy. To me, they sounded great. Not really any better than what I already had but I was not as disappointed as most. I could hear dialog just fine from the VCS-10 so for those who claim they can hear little or nothing, I think they are exxagerating or just need a new receiver. The 301's have great bass and pretty good high's. I did place them on their side with the front tweeter facing up towards the top. That made a HUGE difference in sound and clarity. I feel they are very good speakers but definately not worth what I paid. For a total of $527, I could have bought much better but like I said, I do like the sound Bose puts out.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Submitted by JonBeGood2U a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Bose VCS10 Center Channel for the past 3 years and have learned to live with it's sonic peculiarities and enjoy it's more positive aspects. I am one who finds the VCS10 actually better for listenning to music than movie dialogue. I had 2 generations Bose 301's as front speakers (Series V) and surrounds (Series IV) respectively and was interested in maintain the "natural sound" characteristics for which Bose is well known. I must say that the VCS10 is lacking in lower range bass but not to a point of exceptional distraction. I do like the lack of piercing highs which the 2.5" drivers shy away from producing.
I also approve of the VCS10's styling and low profile on top on my CRT television set. Much to my delight, hardly anyone even notices its presence on top on my 27 year old 19" RCA television sent hence avoiding an overwhelming consumer electronic aesthetic to my living room area. Overall, the Bose VCS10 rates 3 on a scale of 5.

Purchased At:   Best Buy