B.I.C. America DV62CLR Center Channels

4.88/5 (84 Reviews) MSRP : $269.00

video-shielded, two-way, three-driver center channel speaker, two 5.25" polymer-coated woofers, 13mm poly dome tweeter

Submitted by Gary F a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
It seemed appropriate to adorn Ed Frias' good name with another garland in a long list of positive reviews.
As a satisfied owner of BIC America speakers for at least a decade I recently started seriously considering upgrading my system. Music quality was my main ambition with HT as more of an afterthought, rather than a significant consideration. So it began. Scouring the internet for quality, and budget friendly, options. Everything from sound baffles, bass traps, diffusers and speaker placements ad nauseum. I looked on Craiglist, Youtube, Amazon, eBay, and retailers galore for information and reviews to inform and guide me. That was how I chanced upon Mr. Ed Frias. What a topic of research he turned out to be!
After reading reviews about his personal line of high end speakers (EFE Technologies) I happened upon several articles and reviews of his crossover modification wizardry. While an extremely interesting read, I have to admit, I had no idea what was being crossed over or even why is needed to be modified. That is where I was for several weeks. I then came across an article about how he dramatically improved the sound of the BIC America DV62si bookshelf speakers. I have 4 of them. It was a few days before I had the idea of buying more of what I already had. That would be my BIC America,DV62clr-s, center channel speaker. A great speaker with great reviews. Also...great sound. Or so I thought. That is when I had (in my mind) a marvelous idea. Why not upgrade by replacing 2 of my bookshelf speakers with 2 more center channel speakers from BIC. Enter Mr. Ed Frias.
I found Ed's phone number and gave him a call. I enjoy listening to music but have no experience with speakers or audio technology to speak of at all. I didn't even know if you could use a center channel speaker for stereo. (Turns out the CLR stands for Center - Left - Right) Chalk one up for humility! And this was learned only while talking to Ed. I explained my idea and he graciously explained to me that I was talking about something that he specialized in with the BIC America center channel. Taking this very good product and doing extensive crossover modifications to them. I couldn't believe it. I was thinking on the right track. I ordered two of these speakers and sent the crossovers for my current center channel along with the crossovers for the two bookshelf speakers that would be my surrounds and sent them to Ed for modifications as well. This was so everything matched acoustically. Good idea, that!
I have had the new speakers and the three crossovers back, installed and playing for over two weeks. While I have never claimed to be an audiophile I am hereby claiming that my flabber is gasted. The sounds I am enjoying from these two speakers along with my sub woofer, that is rarely called upon, is way, way more than I could have anticipated. The speakers step out of the way by not demanding personal attention to their location or contribution and just provide wonderful, glorious sound. I can't imagine how I could be happier without spending several thousands of dollars and then only benefiting with marginal improvement.
My system is simple and my speaker placement is, I believe, fairly basic. I run everything through an Onkyo TX-NR747 AV Receiver with 110W at 8 ohms. My CD/DVD player is a Samsung BD-J6300 blu-ray. No turntable, no additional amplifier. Basic and beautiful. The speakers are approx 18" from each side and rear wall with a slight toe in toward my sitting area. If it wasn't for a book case I can't move I do not think toe in would be needed at all. . My 10" down throw sub, also a BIC America, is set approx 24" from the rear wall and 36" from the side wall. My sub volume is at 3/10 and the cross over is at 75 Hz. The room is 12' X 21' with 7' wood ceiling. The walls are wood, drywall and polished concrete. Still, no need for acoustic room treatments. The speakers are adjusted just that well.
A friend of mine visited to help me understand why his several thousand dollar system was such a better practical sonic value. Let's just say there was significantly more gasting of the flabber! He was impressed in the extreme. And, I suspect, silently envious at the value to cost disparity I had received from Ed Frias.
In conclusion I would like to say "Thank you" to Mr. Frias for his time, patience, counsel and wonderful speakers.
This is not a paid or reimbursed review. It is the appreciative missive of a retired fellow in Indiana that is grateful that craftsmen like Ed Frias are still available and admirably providing service to folks like you and I.
Mr. Frias can be reached at 1-928-778-2616, or efespeakers@centurylink.net, if you are seeking similar results.
Regards and enjoy,
Gary F in southern Indiana

Submitted by KJHawkeye1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a BIC DV62CLRS from EFE (Ed Frias Enterprises). I had been searching.... make that scouring, the net for center channels that would be the best possible sound without taking out a mortgage on my home. Just before I was about to fork over a hefty sum for a Klipsche, I read through an AV blog that mentioned this center channel and the Ed Frias modification he does to them. After contacting Mr. Frias (efespeakers@commspeed.net) I was surprised to see his prices on the speakers he builds were lower than the factory built brand names I was looking at. I was skeptical at first but continued to find posts on the net that highly praised these speakers that came from Ed. So like everyone who had written those posts.... I drank the Kool-Aid and purchased one of his "extensively modified"center channels.

All I have to say is WOW. The sound that comes out of this speaker is nothing short of amazing. It is so clear that even my wife made a comment about it and she is a hard one to impress when it comes to home theater. If it plays a sound (of any kind) she is satisfied. This speaker, however, made her sit and listen to her favorite movie soundtrack from start to finish! This speaker is not so dominant that it puts my other speakers to shame but the range this unit is capable of helps bring out all sorts of sounds I'm not sure I was able to hear before. The highs are crips and clear without being overly harsh. The mids and low ends have more punch than I had with my previous Infinity center.

I gave the speaker a workout with my favorite movie, Transformers, and I could certainly tell a difference right away. The robots actually sounded like they were changing right in my living room!!! I moved on and gave the speaker the musical test and it had no problem producing every chord of Rob Pattinson's acoustic guitar to hard hitting Linkin Park and their song "New Divide".

Dollar for dollar, I am not sure you can find a better speaker and would HIGHLY recommend purchasing one of Ed's. He is great to work with, answers all your questions in a timely manner and his work is first class. Some people out there may have their doubts but I recommend do like I did.... drink the Kool-Aid with the rest of us who have purchased this speaker. You won't regret it!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by D. Paul Navigator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
Cost: $110

Summary: The speaker is now CV62CLRS and has much smaller dimensions, plus the 6" woofer is now 6 1/2". The good part is the sound is actually better with the upgrades.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by photovol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
After reading all the teriffic reviews of the BIC DV62CLRS speaker I purchased 3 for the front of my surround system. Out of the box I thought the speakers sounded great (albit, a little bright) and decider to give them a little time to break in. I contacted Ed Frias @ EFE and decided to go ahead and have the crossovers modified on all 3 speakers. After installing the modified crossovers the speakers are simply amazing, with great clarity and detailed mids and highs. I also have some Older Mirage Towers (12 Years Old) and the Modified BIC DV62CLRS simply have better detail and clairity as well as better depth and transparancy! I'm blown away with how good these 3 speakers sound and I have a little over $450.00 in all three! I took the gamble and decided to purchase 3 for the front of my home theatre/surround sound system and now my Older Mirage towers are relagated to the den for 2 channel stereo listening. I simply don't understand how speakers costing a little over $120.00 (without the crossover mod) a piece can out perform speakers I paid over $800.00 a piece for......But they DO! I highly advise the skeptics out there to just purchase these and let ED Frias work his Magic! This has to be the Best $450.00 I've ever spent on any audio purchase!
Good Luck!

Purchased At:   Amaxon

Submitted by atomheart a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
WOWEEE. I have researched center channels for about the last year-year and a half, and I kept hearing about this center channel. I purchased the 62-S model last week, and it arrived 3 days ago. Out of the box I was inpressed by the shear size. Once I took my miniscule center out and swapped I was amazed!! Everything was soooo clear!! I could understand what people were saying at low volumes, and once turned up....Well....I was just amazed!! It even brought out some subtle sounds from music also. It hasn't even been broken in yet, and already sounds superb!! I thought long and hard about the crossover mod, and read an unbiased review on another site that made me think otherwise. Now that I hear the factory version, I don't think there is a need for the mod at all. At least not to my ears (and I'm kinda hard of hearing). Don't think.....just buy. You won't be sorry. I know I'm not. Have heard other centers in the store ranging from about $50-$300, and none of them compared.

Purchased At:   Amazon