B.I.C. America DV62CLR Center Channels

4.88/5 (83 Reviews) MSRP : $269.00

video-shielded, two-way, three-driver center channel speaker, two 5.25" polymer-coated woofers, 13mm poly dome tweeter

Submitted by KJHawkeye1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a BIC DV62CLRS from EFE (Ed Frias Enterprises). I had been searching.... make that scouring, the net for center channels that would be the best possible sound without taking out a mortgage on my home. Just before I was about to fork over a hefty sum for a Klipsche, I read through an AV blog that mentioned this center channel and the Ed Frias modification he does to them. After contacting Mr. Frias (efespeakers@commspeed.net) I was surprised to see his prices on the speakers he builds were lower than the factory built brand names I was looking at. I was skeptical at first but continued to find posts on the net that highly praised these speakers that came from Ed. So like everyone who had written those posts.... I drank the Kool-Aid and purchased one of his "extensively modified"center channels.

All I have to say is WOW. The sound that comes out of this speaker is nothing short of amazing. It is so clear that even my wife made a comment about it and she is a hard one to impress when it comes to home theater. If it plays a sound (of any kind) she is satisfied. This speaker, however, made her sit and listen to her favorite movie soundtrack from start to finish! This speaker is not so dominant that it puts my other speakers to shame but the range this unit is capable of helps bring out all sorts of sounds I'm not sure I was able to hear before. The highs are crips and clear without being overly harsh. The mids and low ends have more punch than I had with my previous Infinity center.

I gave the speaker a workout with my favorite movie, Transformers, and I could certainly tell a difference right away. The robots actually sounded like they were changing right in my living room!!! I moved on and gave the speaker the musical test and it had no problem producing every chord of Rob Pattinson's acoustic guitar to hard hitting Linkin Park and their song "New Divide".

Dollar for dollar, I am not sure you can find a better speaker and would HIGHLY recommend purchasing one of Ed's. He is great to work with, answers all your questions in a timely manner and his work is first class. Some people out there may have their doubts but I recommend do like I did.... drink the Kool-Aid with the rest of us who have purchased this speaker. You won't regret it!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by D. Paul Navigator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
Cost: $110

Summary: The speaker is now CV62CLRS and has much smaller dimensions, plus the 6" woofer is now 6 1/2". The good part is the sound is actually better with the upgrades.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by photovol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
After reading all the teriffic reviews of the BIC DV62CLRS speaker I purchased 3 for the front of my surround system. Out of the box I thought the speakers sounded great (albit, a little bright) and decider to give them a little time to break in. I contacted Ed Frias @ EFE and decided to go ahead and have the crossovers modified on all 3 speakers. After installing the modified crossovers the speakers are simply amazing, with great clarity and detailed mids and highs. I also have some Older Mirage Towers (12 Years Old) and the Modified BIC DV62CLRS simply have better detail and clairity as well as better depth and transparancy! I'm blown away with how good these 3 speakers sound and I have a little over $450.00 in all three! I took the gamble and decided to purchase 3 for the front of my home theatre/surround sound system and now my Older Mirage towers are relagated to the den for 2 channel stereo listening. I simply don't understand how speakers costing a little over $120.00 (without the crossover mod) a piece can out perform speakers I paid over $800.00 a piece for......But they DO! I highly advise the skeptics out there to just purchase these and let ED Frias work his Magic! This has to be the Best $450.00 I've ever spent on any audio purchase!
Good Luck!

Purchased At:   Amaxon

Submitted by atomheart a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
WOWEEE. I have researched center channels for about the last year-year and a half, and I kept hearing about this center channel. I purchased the 62-S model last week, and it arrived 3 days ago. Out of the box I was inpressed by the shear size. Once I took my miniscule center out and swapped I was amazed!! Everything was soooo clear!! I could understand what people were saying at low volumes, and once turned up....Well....I was just amazed!! It even brought out some subtle sounds from music also. It hasn't even been broken in yet, and already sounds superb!! I thought long and hard about the crossover mod, and read an unbiased review on another site that made me think otherwise. Now that I hear the factory version, I don't think there is a need for the mod at all. At least not to my ears (and I'm kinda hard of hearing). Don't think.....just buy. You won't be sorry. I know I'm not. Have heard other centers in the store ranging from about $50-$300, and none of them compared.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by stewbass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
There is alot of talk about these speakers.To modify, or not to modify?Maybe this will help you decide on what to do.This center channel speaker sounds great in the stock version, after break in period.It seems a bit bright for my personal tastes, the key words, personal tastes.Some guys I know love that sizzle and boom sound.That is what you get with the stock version, not a very detailed and clear midrange.After listening to my stock version for about a year,I decided to send the crossover to Ed.I received the crossover in a very quick manner, installed it, and to my pleasant surprise the sizzle and boom factor was all but gone.This speaker became a accurate reproducer of audio signal.The tonal balance was remarkable.Very clear and defined mids, lows, and highs.I run everything flat on my head in, and this speaker sounds fantistic, for my personal tastes.So, if you think your speaker sounds good to you now, leave it alone, and enjoy, if you think it sounds a bit bright,spend the $20.00, send the crossover to Ed, and then enjoy.Either way you can,t go wrong with this speaker.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

BIC DV62CLR-s (Newbie)

I'm new to this and have just purchased one of these speakers as a Center. I have been reading quite a bit about a MOD package for these but am not real sure why or what purpose it serves. (Audiophile I am NOT - Laugh). Is this a night and day thing, as the speaker doesn't sound bad to me, but a s ... Read More »