Acoustic Research CS 25 HO Center Channels

3.71/5 (21 Reviews)

Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by leroy5269 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned AR products before, so gave this one a chance though I had not heard it in person (through uBid). It replaces a little Atlantic Technology center channel that I had used for years. The AR has a bigger and more accurate sound. I had to turn down the level some to blend better with my DCM front mains, as the AR's seem very efficient. For the price I got these (the $80.00 included my bid and shipping) I am very happy. One note, this unit was bigger than I expected! It kinda dominates the top of my 35" Toshiba direct view, but it is also a nice looking speaker and black like my set. As for the oft-mentioned break-in period, I don't believe in all that. I think it is our ears and our psyco-acoustic senses that get broken in, but you have to start with a good speaker, which the AR surely is. The other reviews I read here seemed to miss the mark, this is a terriffic speaker, typical AR quality

Purchased At:   uBid.com

Submitted by Roger Donald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
This speaker really blends well with my 312 fronts and 308 rears. I have one CS25 for a center and one for a center surround in a 6.1 setup. It really images well, but not as well as the 308's. This speaker is the weakest link in my system.
When I removed the grill things improved dramatically. The tweeter really came to life and the soundstage widened. Grill removal is a must. AR really has one hell of a system with all of the HO series and for the money they cannot be beaten.

Purchased At:   crutchfield

Submitted by Patrick a

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I replaced my Pioneer el-cheapo centers with this gem. They are clean, bright with good mids, direction and separation. Very efficient for such a high power rating.

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall I have to retract my last review... see below. Yours truly screwed up the setup on it!!

Once I got a decent subwoofer in my HT environment, (FYI I chose the Velodyne CT-120) and ran the CS 25 in small mode I noticed a marked difference in the results...

My HT "Theater Two" is like an AR showroom right now
310 HO mains
308 HO surrounds
CS25HO center

Have to calibrate the system but so far with the test tone the timbre matches the drivers used on the other speakers and that's very important for smooth 5.1 mix.

Purchased At:   Capital Audio, 120 Duane St., NYC

Submitted by Pal Braten a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this center channel at Egghead for $ 79 a little over a month ago. I was imediately impressed with how extremely well it blended in with my AR312HO front towers. The match is absolutely perfect and it blends in seamlessly.

For those of you who have commented on music not sounding good in 5 channel stereo,...... STEREO..that means two channels. The music was recorded in two channels so how would you make it bette by playing it in over twice that?

Anyway, the earlier reviewers are right in that this speaker has little bass output. However this is not a problem when I send the bass to my large frot speakers.

Overall a great speaker at an even greater value, and a great match for the rest of my HO line system.

Purchased At:   Egghead.com