Yamaha NS-A637 Bookshelf Speakers

4.17/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $175.00

Good home theater or large bookshelf speaker

Submitted by JD, a dubstep producer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers with the intent to flip them ($22.50 at a thrift store). On a whim, I decided to plug them up and see how they sounded in comparison to my Bose 201 series IV speakers, which I had been using as my monitors. Being a producer, I'm looking for something very accurate that stays intelligible at high volume. I plugged these in on the B side of my receiver, and instantly knew that these little (not so little, actually... they're really freaking big, taking up 75% of my desk) things blew the 201's out of the water. Being a sealed cabinet, the bass is tight and the overall volume is increased, entirely without distortion. Going from two-way to three-way speakers added some resilience in the mids and highs, and they were comparable in accuracy to an extremely high end pair of professional studio monitors. Now if you plan to use these as an every day sound system, I would recommend these quite a bit less. They aren't particularly bassy speakers, and it seems that that's the main complaint for these on the average listeners' reviews. At close range, though, these speakers are absolutely amazing for monitoring.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have picked out every thing for my home theater system and these were the perfect rear surrounds for my setup. They are fantastic for movies and music. The extra bass when watching movies really makes the difference. They are crystal clear and inexpensive. As with any good speakers, a good strong receiver and the right positioning are a must to get the sound you want.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I don't care what you read from others about these speakers they are very good for the price. I would say a good front speaker for surround sound thou it's not much on bass that's why you have a sub. I am very happy with these great mid and highs and moderate lows. Solid construction and look good. If you have a chance to get a pair of these do it , just remember if you have a high power system and can select speaker size set it to small, they sound better.

P.S. Get a pair of speaker stand to bring it up to your listening area

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by Michael Berglin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
First, I paid $20.00 for a pair of Yamaha NS-A637 speakers believe it or not.

I hooked them up to the back end of my home theater system with some really decent Sony speakers on the front end.

I found that the Yamaha's have a good sound, however, they are a little bassy even when elevated off the floor. I have them mounted at listener ear level. To improve the electronic transmission, I used 16 gauge wire and the helped significantly over the 24 gauge I did have.

Our 'acid test' of these speakers was Bach, Beethoven's 5th, and the movie U571. Bach and Beethoven came out clean and crisp. The U-571 was awesome, nothing less than awesome. You got the listening impression the depth charges were happening right next to you (not to mention the cannon fight on the movie Cut Throat Island was anything less stirring).

These speaker might do better ported and that is my next agenda with them.

Overall, while not exactly Bose 301's or the older Altec Lansing Voice of the theaters -- I would rate these speakers as really decent .... 6.5 to 7 on a scale of 10.
Maybe I'm just partial because I paid very little money for them. But, I think the $175.00 a pair price tag is not unreasonable.

Purchased At:   Garage sale

Submitted by Patrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are incredible for the price (I got them on sale $50). The mids and highs sound incredible. The bass isn't that great with a weak receiver. I just upgraded to a Yamaha receiver, and now they sound incredible. They can't handle a lot of power (more than 60-70 Watts or so with a lot of bass), but they are loud at that level with 91 dB sensitivity. The only real downside is that they're frequency response is only 70 Hz on up. Even though, there's plenty of bass with just these speakers (without a sub). It seems that Yamaha is discontinuing this line, which is a shame. I've been looking for the NS-A837s because they can hit a bit lower.

Purchased At:   Sears