Yamaha NS 6390 Bookshelf Speakers

4.25/5 (24 Reviews)

- Three-way acoustic suspension speaker.
- The speaker is magnetically shielded, so it can be placed on a TV or video monitor without degrading the picture via stray magnetic fields.
- Yamaha's spring-type terminals make connections easy and secure.
- New grille design and satin grille cloth provide an attractive and acoustically transparent protective cover for the drivers.

Submitted by Tonyl34 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I do admit these speakers are very good value for the money ..I paid $30 in a garage sale last month.
These are very good replacements for $10 pc speakers. The mids and woofers are worth $5 tops, the tweeters sound like they're partially covered with duct tape. The bass bottoms out very early so you'd better set these as "Small" in your receiver else they will sound hollow.
Their imaging is very poor and as I had mentioned above, the mids are cheap sounding and very lethargic. All 3 drivers lack detail. They can be driven off any HTIB receiver which is not very surprising considering their limited spectrum. You can't eq them to pump up the mids cos they will sputter at the drop of a hat.

As another reviewer had mentioned, they sound very nice until you place them next to a good speaker.

Yes, I would replace a 2 channel altec lansing pc speaker set with these but unfortunately I don't have a need to do so. I believe most of us don't either- on a pc, we would like to use either cheap, space saving speakers (or) a mid or high end setup, nothing in between.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by tyler who is in love with cerwinvega a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
i have had thies speakers for over 6years. i have noticed that if you blare rap or hard bass stuff throught the speakers they will start to pull away from the voice coil. In the past year or so i have up graded to a 7.1 suround sound. wich has more power than my old system my new system has 100 and old had 75. i liked the fact that i could blare any thing through these speakers untel i put 100watts to these and started to mess up the woofers. befor i messed them up i could put bass tones through these speakers and they would rattle my room!!! i love the looks and the sound you can get from these speakers they are kick a$$ if you are smart and dont push a bass tone through the speaker

Purchased At:   soundtrack

Submitted by music fan San Fran a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
These speakers will sound OK unless you happen to put a different brand of speaker next to them. Then you'll realize these little Yamahas sound like the music is coming out of the bottom of a well. These were my main and only speakers before I upgraded to a decent setup (new Yamaha receiver, Klipsch Synergy speakers). Next to the Klipsch, which cost a little more but are still moderately priced, the Yamaha bookshelf speakers sound terrible. As soon as my Klipsch SS-1 arrive (to complete my setup), these Yamaha speakers are going to the salvation army.

Purchased At:   jandr.com

Submitted by Mark Muczyk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good product at an excellent price. Not pretentious and no extra dollars for a pretentious name plate. (although Yamaha is up there) Deep accurate base and consistent treble with some knob tweaking. Very good looking speakers that fit with any decor.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Stephen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers have impressed me greatly. After upgrading from some reasonably good computer speakers, I was impressed with the sound quality. Combined with a 12" subwoofer, they have good response. Their only lacklustre point being the mid - high ranges being slightly too bright. A tweak on my Yamaha's treble control soon fixed this. I listen to jazz, rock, alternative and classical music and the speakers were able to recreate the sounds of these to my liking. I have these set up in my bedroom. It is likely that they would not be sufficient for a home theatre set up, but until then, the price was well worth it.