Yamaha NS 5290 Bookshelf Speakers

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

- Two-way acoustic suspension speakers.
- The speaker is magnetically shielded, so it can be placed on a TV or video monitor without degrading the picture via stray magnetic fields.
- Yamaha's spring-type terminals make connections easy and secure.
- New grille design and satin grille cloth provide an attractive and acoustically transparent protective cover for the drivers.

Submitted by Andy Pascoe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
I found a pair at a local thrift store for $9.99. Yamaha is among the brands that I will never hesitate to check the price, inspect for damage, and buy without even hearing them first assuming the price is reasonable, (or unreasonably low!)

This was a no-brainer. They garner $40-50 plus shipping on eBay. Yamaha has a well deserved reputation for producing quality-regardless.

These are described, by Yamaha, as entry level speakers. I have no idea what they retailed for other than it was nowhere near $9.99! But, for $9.99 they are excellent. For $40-50 plus shipping they would still constitute a bargain and would rate a 5-star value in my book. The overall rating of 3 stars would have been 4 stars had I not briefly switch the music to a pair of full-sized floor standing JBLs. By no means is this a fair comparison but, you know, good sound is good sound. 3-Stars is a swollen rating category in my system of rating. 1 star is crap, 2 average, 3 is nothing to be ashamed of, the JBLs I referred to fall under 4 as do the colossal pair of Realistic Mach 2s that sit next to them, (maybe 4.5 or 4+ on the Realistics.) The only speakers I've ever had that I'd rate over 4 would be a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers that I seldom use for fear of my history of poor judgement when it comes to assessing the threshold of my neighbor's toleration for my inconsiderate exhibition of power. (I just can't control my urge to crank 'em up!) Those speakers summon law enforcement faster than Gotham City can summon Batman with their bat-spotlight!)
Just to put things in perspective-Klipsch Heresy 6 stars, these Yamahas 3 stars. That's pretty spanking good for entry-level bookshelf speakers! Yamaha also intended these for use in a surround sound configuration which includes a subwoofer. I didn't bother to try this but doing so could only stand to improve the overall sound. Also worth mentioning, the speakers incorporate magnetic shielding that will prevent them from adversely affecting a video monitor, tv, etc., should they be located directly on top of it.

Submitted by tjohnusa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great "cheap" speaker. Sadly my daughter blew the woofers and I replaced them with a non shielded woofer from Parts Express for $12.00 each. I discovered the speakers did not have any insulation in them so I added some cotton batting when I replaced the woofers...man what a difference! In addition the crossover is only one capacitor to the tweeter to filter lows disappointed me...I will try to get a two-way crossover for them. I am using them in a bedroom set-up with a Pioneer sx-450 (22 WPC), a sony dvd player and a AR passive subwoofer. Sound levels are low to moderate. I am very happy with these...I have been watching ebay for maybe some Polks or Mission replacements but I give them another listen and ask myself why?

Submitted by Audiophyle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Yamaha NS-5290's to be used as rear surround speakers. Memorex doesn't know the meaning of "live." The slogan should be: "Is it live, or is it Yamaha?" These speakers perfectly reproduce reality and natural sound. I am a huge audio enthusiest. These Yamaha bookshelf speakers should be dubbed King of surround sound. For my front main left/right speakers, I have 2 Yamaha 12" boxes, each with 5" mid and a tweeter. No need for a subwoofer with this setup. The Yamaha NS-5290's stare my 12" yamaha's straight in the speakers and easily hold their own. I was very surprised with the depth and range of sound which came from these two yamahas, along with their great styling. The sound which comes from these speakers is so large, and so true, it's very easy to loose myself in almost anything I watch. I have a complete yamaha set up now, including my receiver and center channel (which itself is an older model bookshelf, slightly modified my by myself. Yamaha will not dissapoint or let their consumers down. If you have an oppertunity to purchase these bookshelf speakers, do it! You will not lie awake at night wondering if you made the right desicion or not. You will be wide awake all night enjoying the clean crisp sound of your new Yamaha's while you watch every DVD you have just because you won't be able to get enough of the incredible sound and value of these speakers! Enjoy!

Submitted by jhive a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a small efficient bookshelf speaker for my new found tube amp (knight tube amp with 4 el84’s about 10w per channel). I did not want to pay more than $300 a pair since I had only spent $5 on the amp. I went on the web comparing bookshelf speakers by their efficiency and I came across the Yamaha NS5250’s and saw the 90db rating and the price was unbelievable. I went to Best Buy thinking I could buy these speakers and demo them at the house return if they sucked. Well they do not suck. I love these speakers and it is hard to believe the sound which these speakers are able to produce. The speaker is very balanced just enough bass. Perfect for a small listening room.

Submitted by Michael Yerby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Decent speaker for the price paid ($75-80) with minimal amount of problems.