B&W DM601 S3
Description: A compact bookshelf / stand-mount speaker, the DM601 S3 combines a 165mm (6½-in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange driver with a Nautilus tube-loaded metal dome tweeter. <br><br> Retaining the double skinned baffle construction of its predecessor, the cabinet features extra internal bracing for reduced coloration. Flowport ensures clean bass with good attack that remains more consistent with level compared to simpler designs. <br><br> The speaker is an ideal solution for smaller rooms. Combine it with the LCR60 S3 centre speaker in an attractive, high quality yet unobtrusive home theatre system.

Submitted by Kostas a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
I operate these speakers for close to five years on an average Yamaha amp and they sound very hypnotizing .My favurite

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by RelapseUK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have had the 601 S2's for about 5 years (purchased 2nd hand from eBay). I have been in love with the sound they create from the get go. I've been using them as the main front's on Atacama nexus 6 (Kiln Dried Sand Filled) Stands & Chord SA Bi-Wire in my HT setup, with a B&W CC6 center some cheep but decent enough Kef coda 7's at the rear. with this setup I had a Sony STR-980 5.1 Receiver a Denon DVD player (Also CD Source) and my HTPC. Now about a year ago I upgraded my amp to a Pioneer VSX-LX53 (7.1 but use the rear 2 channels to Bi-amp the S2's) and then a little later a Sony Blu-ray BDP-S350. My Room is about 15' x 15' so a medium sized room. I like action movies and everything from Handel to Hardhouse and everything in between so I bought an AE Radiance 12" Sub. I recently discover SACD playback and have been astounded by the S2's in both stereo and 5.1, the big let down has been the Kef's. So off to eBay I go again, especially after reading the reviews on hear from you chaps. Most of the 601 S3's I have found on eBay have always gone for more money than I am able to afford at present (£180-£220). Then I came across an absolute bargain with a chap selling a pair of black ash boxes for £99.00? I quickly get his telephone number talk to him to find out why so cheap and said he's emigrating and needs money quick and blah! blah! Blah. I decide to take a punt, got in my car, drove 20 miles and found them to be in near mint condition (Bargains still can be had on eBay just be patient). Any how I have been listening to them in their Current config for a while I am blown away. I have some very wealthy friends (I am by far and away the poorest of our circle) and they have spent silly amounts of money and whilst sounding great, do not have the fidelity, clarity or tonal range of my setup. I love B&W kit, the yellow cone isn't to my taste so the dust covers only come off for listening and remain on all other times. Build quality, as with the S2 is superb. These S3's were well run in by the time they came to me so I have listened to them at their best. I know these are getting pretty long in the tooth in terms of product life these days but they still sound fantastic even when compared to the latest B&W offerings, the 685 & 686. This is my bargain of the year, coupled with excellent sound I couldn't be happier. Anyone reading this review who thinks these are dated speakers, please get a pair and listen to them, you will not be disappointed, compare them to modern speakers in their class, if you don't love them sell them on but I assure you that you will fall in love. Remember to to put them on decent spiked and filled stands and couple them with decent components and interconnects they will sing.

Submitted by ozaudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought these at a sale a few years back. Paired with my Cambridge 640A v2 and 640C they sound a bit restrained. Maybe too much smoothness when these clean-sounding speakers meet the equally polite Cambridge amp and CD player? The music doesn´t quite come out into the room, if that makes sense to you. Would have bought something else today, something livelier to go with the Cambridge components. But at least the 601S3 never feel intrusive, as was the case with my last speakers (Dali 103).

Submitted by stockcontrol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
These we meant to be a gift for my mum however she wanted to stick with her 15 year old jobs. Good for me, hey.
I have been using these in a stereo set up now for a few months.
Untill two days ago these were being powered by a Yamaha AX-497 and fed music from a Marantz CD-5001. Now a Marantz PM-7001 is delivering the power.
These went from really good sound to fantastic sound. Im amazed how much more im in love with what these are capable of now the amp has been upgraded.
The amp change came about cause id heard it a few times in a store and had thought that one day if i can afford it, i have to have it. Coming into a little bit of money recently i went for it. I also wanted a little more bass. Not floor stander more, just a little bit more. I had thought that 602's would do it but B&W just changed the line up. So on paper i thought the new 685's would fit the bill. I was all excited about making another B&W purchase untill i hooked up my new Marantz amp. This amp gave the 601's what sounds like more and better quality bass, so no further purchases were required. Im not as techinal as some so i dont quite understand how an amp can do that, but it did. Also the top end isnt as harsh and there is more of a feeling of what i can only describe as "warmth".
Im slowly coming around to the realisation that quality does not equal quantity. Im now getting a very big and very high quality sound from small (in size) equipment.
Unless you are in need of buckets full of bass then these are the way to go.
Anyone out there considering these, DO IT! Go get em! Although learn from my lesson that a good amp is required for them to really shine.
Ive also experemented with distances from the wall and have found no difference if they are against the wall or a foot off it. I guess front firing bass ports assist this.
Grilles off! Not only do they look great like this but the top end is clearer too.

Purchased At:   Sydney

Submitted by bubbles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Being a B&W speakers it is beautifully consrtucted,looks great,fit and finish first class.It would be nice for a real wood finish,which cheapens the product a little,but still offers good,if not exellent value for money.

The treble is much improved over the earlier version,smoother,more refined,and much less metallic sounding.The midrange,is typical B&W,in being slightly laid back,and the bass is a bit bloomy,lacking ultimate control and definition,while B&W have appeared to want to make the sound bigger than the box size suggests,I find it a bit over blown and blowsy lacking foot tapping,rythmic ability,instead you get more scale.

The sound is box bound,and doesn't really break free from the speaker,you can tell exactly where the box is,the sound is trapped within it,it just doesn't project the sound outside of the box,compared to other speakers,it's slightly vieled,muffled,and doesn't offer the greatest insight,even though its still one of the best at it's price point,and sounds far better than a monitor audio or any dreadful kef.

For a small room,and first system it's a fantastic buy,and cant with stand good electronics,but it will get to a point where it limitations get obvious the better the electronics become