Tannoy Sensys DC1 Bookshelf Speakers

• Low frequency response: 35Hz
  • Sensitivity: 88dB

Submitted by Simple Simon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
What I like most about these speakers is their wonderfully broad and solid soundstage. In relation to my listening position, I have my DC1s placed as the other corners of an equilateral triangle - in other words, a little further apart than would generally be the case. And yet there is no hole in the middle. Quite the contrary, I often find myself listening to vocals or lead instruments on standard stereo recordings and being almost convinced that they are somehow coming out of my centre speaker. It's almost uncanny.

I wouldn't describe these as flattering speakers; bad records sound like bad recordings, but nor are they completely neutral in colour. If anything, I would suggest that they can sometimes have a cardboard-like, slightly boxy characteristic to their sound. I suspect that this is due, more than anything else, to the cabinet walls not being all that thick. Having said that, I still find the overall sound to be, paradoxically, quite natural - particularly on vocals and strings. It is certainly a very non-fatiguing sound and one that I find easy to listen to for very extended periods of time.

I find the bottom end a little uncertain at times, at yet on some recordings - particularly those with double bass - they can sound very tight down there. I think part of the problem is that the size and shape of my room has meant having to mount these quite close to the wall. I haven't tried the optional approach of plugging the front porch as the plugs weren't supplied when I bought them.

I bought these on impulse, based largely on the reviews I had read on this and other sites. I was looking for some bookshelf speakers to replace my floorstanding Polk Audio Monitor 60s which are really just a bit too large for our small lounge. At first I was a little disappointed. The DC1s are not as punchy and impressive-sounding as the Polks. They don't have that real oomph in the bottom end that kicks you in the gut when the drummer is really pushing his pedal, and I thought I might miss that. But the more that I listened to them, the more I liked them. Put simply, I found that I was enjoying listening to music more, and for longer. Where the Polks are impressive, the Tannoys are pleasant. Whether the Polks provide punch and sizzle in the bottom and the top, the Tannoys offer such space, ambience, atmosphere and depth that the music just seems to emanate from mid-air.

The Tannoy DC1s are not perfect. They won't suit everyone. They are, however, the first "budget" speakers I have ever encountered that offer the kind of imaging and musicality normally associated with high-end audiophile gear. If your primary tastes lie in the jazz, classical, acoustic, easy-listening kinds of areas, you will really love the sound from these wee speakers.

Submitted by r-l-b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had these home for a trial period but returned them after a copule of days
Huamn voices seemed to harsh
I could not hear the supertweeter

Purchased At:   cph

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
- Look: I don't like it
- Practical Aspect: can be easily placed thanks to coincident technology and front port, but the terminals are non-standart and the super-tweeter on top is a pain.
- Technology: enclosure could be thicker, but the drivers and the crossover are very, very well built. I cannot hear anything from the super-tweeter (at age 45)
- Sound: very good in all areas, exceptional to reproduce human voice, and exceptionally stable stereo image (coincident drivers). No weakness !

Subjectively, I rate their sound mid-way between JM Lab Cobalt 806 ($1000) and B&W N805 ($2000).

Submitted by Yves Simon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
- Look: I don't like it

Submitted by Yves Simon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Negative first: I don't like the look, and the enclosure could be thicker.
The super-tweeter is practically inaudible (but I am 45...).
Everything else is great: high-quality coincident driver and crossover, superb sound.
The sound is dynamic, alive, neutral, detailed, with deep bass (taling into account its size).
Compared to JM Lab Cobalt 806, the sound is less fatiguing.
Compared to B&W Nautilus 805, the Tannoy is a little bit less refined (less details, more boxy), but voices are more natural (the B&W lack a little bit presence).
And what is extraordinary is the immunity to listener position. The stereo image is rock-solid, probably thanks to the coincident technology used.
The best speakers under $1,500 I ever heard.