B&W DM602 S3
Description: This is the largest of the bookshelf / stand-mount models in the range. Although similar in concept to the DM601 S3, the DM602 S3 enjoys the benefits of a larger cabinet and a 180mm (7-in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange driver to give a more extended bass response and higher output capability. It is therefore the bookshelf solution for medium size rooms. <br><br> The outer layer of the double skinned baffle construction is moulded from mica-filled polypropylene – strong yet well damped acoustically. The profile is attractively contoured, the rounded vertical edges reducing diffraction – the secondary radiation of sound from sharp edges that can time-smear the clarity of fine detail in the signal. <br><br> The LCR60 S3 centre speaker would normally be used to partner the DM602 S3 in home theatre systems, but larger rooms may benefit from the extra output capability of the LCR600 S3.

Submitted by Nick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I recently picked up a pair of B&W 602 Series 3 speakers to replace my B&W 601 S1 front mains. I have a smaller room size which is about 12 x 14. The speakers were about 3 feet off the wall. My listening position was about 8 feet away. I performed a listening test of the 602s vs the 601s. I was hoping the improved tweeter design in the 602 would really show details in the music. I found that the 602s are a bit less detailed then the 601s in this smaller room size. My setup is a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver and Paradigm Sub. They are not as detailed at lower volume levels. I suspect this speaker is designed for a much larger room size. When increasing the volume the speaker performs much better. After listening tests, I ended up placing back my 601s as my mains. I'll use these speakers in another room that doesn't have a sub because they have a better lower end. For folks considering these speakers, I suspect if you room size is larger then 12 x 14 then this is your speaker. For smaller rooms or setups with a subwoofer, I would stick with the 601 model. The 601 model is much more detailed at lower volume levels and can perform great without a sub.

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I was surprised to learn I have now owned my B&W 602 speakers for more than ten years. They sound as good if not better than when I first bought them! I had previously owned a pair of Ohm Walsh 2s for about 8 years. Although a great sounding speaker with stellar imagining, they also sounded too muted for my liking. In other words, I tired of their sound and wanted something more exiting. I did and they cost $300 less!

I bought the B&W 602s along with a good pair of speaker stands upon the recommendation of a now defunct high end audio store (sniff) I used to frequent regularly. Price paid out the door was $710.00 including stands. What a bargain!
I bought the B&W 602 speakers just after moving to a much smaller house. I also have a B&W A S ‘6 sub woofer that moved with me but was unsure if it was overkill. I am glad I kept the sub as it is pretty cool to have watching movies and for a bass freak like me, essential to get my rocks off lol!

The B&W 602 speakers were the best value at the time and have withstood the test of time in my opinion.
I listen to a lot off jazz and have found these speakers perform quite nicely but I have to say I prefer to listen with sub on. The 602s do have great bass extension though and are very smooth in the mid range which I believe was a selling point at the time. Imagining is excellent and a joy to listen to. I don’t think you would be disappointed listening to Sinatra or Ella. Truthfully, these speakers deserve better amps than I provided them with and without a doubt would only complement their performance.

These speakers get really scary listening to rock! I mean, these things are killer rock speakers hands down. Provide a good subwoofer and you will a have spine tingling experience, no question. Now, this is in a small house, I don’t know about a bigger one. I also have hard wood floors and not much acoustic material lying around so the effect may be considerably less spine tingling. Again, a really good amp and you can open them up. In conclusion, if you are looking for a great pair of speakers that are versatile and reasonably priced, you cannot go wrong with B&W 602.

Submitted by cneigho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
A cost effective choice for those looking for a versatile bookshelf with performance and good looks with versatility. I say versatile because these speakers are efficient enough for a small amp however can really shine if you let the wattage flow. They can handle being positioned close to walls without port issues as well. I have had the opportunity to listen to 805s side by side with the 602s in my living room. I was switching back and fourth and surprisingly the 602's go deeper with tighter and quicker response. The 805s tolerated higher Db's in the mid to high range when the 602's began to distort. Not bad considering the price range.

Excellent for 2 channel stereo with great imaging. If using for home theatre, depending on the room and taste, might consider a subwoofer as these roll off at 40 hz. The internal bracing really helps on deep notes and high levels however but I did notice a 3rd dimension to movies when I added a CDM sub.

Currently using in a 5.1 setup paired with the LCR 600 center and M1 surrounds. Often Listen in 2 channel or 5.1 DVD audio using on Onkyo 805 to process and drive the rears while a Rotel RMB 1075 Bi-amps the 602's at 125 watts per input at 8 ohms. I constantly challenge audio dealers conjure a better solution for the price. Needless to say, I'm still waiting and will be for some time...

Summary:
Simply one of the most versatile speakers I've ever owned. The best money can buy for sub $1k bookshelfs period.

Submitted by CN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Summary:

Submitted by adam.ribbands a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
A good pair of speakers for the money. they deliver a huge soundstage that fills the room, crisp highs, smooth mids and a good punchy bass line. If you are the casual type listner who respects superb sound, I would highly recomend these.

Purchased At:   martins