Sonus Faber Concertino
Description: Bass reflex bookshelf w/ 5.5in woofer, 7/8in. tweeter

Submitted by PerryC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
SIMPLY AMAZING! This is a keeper. Deep bass (from a small enclosure), very transparent, detailed but not fatiguing, sweet mids and highs. The Concertino's always does a disappearing act, all the music coming from the back curtain. You can't find a speaker this size and price that will sound LIKE or CLOSE to the SF Concertinos. Maybe...add 10 to 150% of the Concertino's price. These speakers are highly recommended. Make sure your amp has enough juice to power it. (50 to 75 watts minimum). LAstly, get a nice pair of sand/lead-fillable stands (if yours did not come with stands), something sturdy coz these little speakers are heavy. I'm using 18 inch PAradigm stand filled with wheel weights (10 lbs per stand).

My setup:
SONUS FABER Concertino
ODYSSEY Stratos amp
Audible Illusions MODULUS 2A
Thorens TD125 MKII
REGA RB 600/ Incognito Wires? Michell weight and VTA adj.
SONY CDP 120 (1985)
CANARE speaker wires and interconnects
TARA LABS Interconnects

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I am blown away. This is the first speaker I've owned that I've fallen in love with. I am done searching (at least for now...).

I have tried many bookshelf speakers at this point and this one really just wins hands down. I've gone through: Linn Kans mk1 and 2, Spendor S3/5, Castle Richmond 3's, ADS, Regas, Totem's. None of them were able to disappear like the Concertinos. None had a modicum of the sweet yet controlled bass. None had the perfect but non fatiguing treble.

They have excellent pitch and great dynamics. I find they can play all types of music very well. From what I understand the Concertino Home's have a little better resolution and dynamic response, but are not quite as sweet and full as these. I strongly dislike clinical or bright sound, but I don't want a boring speaker either. The Spendor S3/5's were a brilliant speaker, but they didn't move me. They were too polite for anything past some calm jazz or the human voice (which was beautiful by the way).

These speakers are keepers. My Rega Mira is able to drive them very well. I think good British amps like the Regas or Naims typically work well with these. They truly sound like musical instruments themselves, which what I think Sonus Faber is after.

Oh and they are beautiful.

Submitted by dvmobley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
One word -- Magnificent -- is all that is really needed to describe these hand made Italian beauties. I recently bought these along with the SF center and SF rears. I also matched a REL Q201E sub. They are powered and controlled by a Denon AVR-4802. I haven't even had time to play with positioning or xover settings, but if they can get any better... I can listen to an audiency clap, and it doesn't sound like nails hitting a tin roof. Soundstage, directionality, and overall frequency response are wonderful. These have a smooth and even output all the way from 80hz to 20khz, As I said before I haven't had time to adjust the crossover. Also the sub (REL Q201E) matches these speakers wonderfully. All in all it makes everything sound and feel real, and that is my objective.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by gmood1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I audition these speakers and think they are wonderful.The highs do not fatigue but seem to convey all the information.Midrange is also very good with these monitors.They throw a huge soundstage and dissapear with the music.The bass is a little thumpy but to be expected from a small monitor.The drivers blend seemlessly with no unnatural sounds.I was very impressed by these speakers perfomance and beauty.No.. I won't be ditching my Soliloquys for them but they sound very similiar.And make me happy with my purchase. A must audition for someone looking for a monitor ..the only speakers I have heard so far to consider besides my own!

Submitted by leon leon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of this little performer,2 years later.
I use the croft tube amp with them now,and i can give a good impression yet with tube/faber sound.
To begin with ,this combination sounds even better than with solid state gear.
The sound is absolutely natural,and the instruments and voices are reallife.
Invalvement is the keyword here,expression and soundstage are unbeliefable.
Copper instruments really shine and have power,without sounding harsh or sharp.
Hall dimensions can really be heard in good recordings, translated in your room.
The croft is fore a tube amp very fast and sounds more powwerfull then you would expect.
Voices are lovely sweet but transparent,even in real hight reflected.
And piano...o yeah,really ringing as in reality,you can truly hear the hole thing.
Sometime I switch back to the Accuphase amp,but no way it comes near.
It looks like dead sound,but has in the extreme more power naturaly.
But when you are spoiled with easyness and flow of the croft,there is no way back in my situation.
To all the Tino lovers,who never heard this babys with good tube gear(and can afford it,possibly there is no turning back!)I can recommend you to try this when you have the opportunuty,I think you will be hooked.
musical greetings