Sjofn-Hifi The Clue Bookshelf Speakers

4.82/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by Robert L. Pittman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2015

Bottom Line:
The search is over. The " Holy Grail" of affordable loudspeakers is at hand!

Everything that you read to describe the ridiculously priced loudspeakers are found in (the clue). Whatever your parameters for truly exceptional sound (the clue) will meet or exceed.

Holographic soundstage, precise location of instruments, deep bass, plumbs the Stygian depths, tonal accuracy, and most of all they sound alive, like real music in your room.

Lars @ Sjofn HiFi, took the time to properly locate my speakers in my rather large, converted garage. I have never received such attentive customer service in my life. A true gentleman.

Don't believe me about (the clue) just search the internet and article after article, show review after show review, all speak with one voice. ( the clue) is incredible!!!

One only needs to follow basic Set-up Instructions", fine tune with Lars if your listening does not conform to the basic "Set-up", let them break-in a bit and that vaunted " You are there experience is well THERE!!!!

Happy Listening, now that I have given you (the clue)!!!

Robert

Submitted by Jeff K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
I'm not an audiophile. My 61-year-old ears don't warrant it, and my budget doesn't either. But to my ears, and for my money . . . these speakers are everything they're advertised to be. Tweaking is critical, however...follow ALL recommendations (a 22 degree toe in and a 1.2-to-1-to-1 distance from the speakers, as well as 20-inch stands, and CLOSE to the wall), and you'll be trying to figure out a way to get LESS bottom end from these puppies. Unbelievable. Toss the subwoofers. Fatigue-free, highly detailed sound. 6 stars.

Submitted by olu hamilton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Bottom Line:
At NY audio show I have finally understood the term 'SLAM'. Jealous of frank240. Gonna get a pair by hook or crook. In my opinion the only speakers that came close were the Ventures at almost TEN times the price. How'd they DO it???

Submitted by Len Tull a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
I first heard the Clues at the Audio Show in New York and was immediately taken with the bottom end coming from such a small enclosure. I have always been taken with things that give more then you expect and these speakers certainly fit the bill. So, after purchase and recommended breaking in period I really had opportunity to put them through their paces.
The speakers could and did handle everything that I pushed through them. Image wise... they were crazy! They give you an in your face type of imaging.

However, with that said I find the tweeter excessably brighter that I am accustom to listening too. Which for me, make them somewhat tiring after long periods of time. But, I still give them high marks for what they do

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by frank240 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these recently after auditioning a pair of Harbeths to be used with my Prima Luna tube integrated and Marsh Sound Design solid state amplifier. I love to purchase audio equipment that is considered a great bargain. This includes the above amplification plus Magneplanar 1.6R speakers and the like. Although I liked the Harbeths, I was not sold on them. After reading a review of Sjofn The Clue, I had to try them.

First of all, they are absolutely beautifully finished. Truly solid. Although a bit rough sounding right out of the box (as the instruction manual warns), they soon become musical, exciting, sweet and wonderful as they open up. These speakers make you want to listen to them.

I cannot recommend The Clue highly enough. I simply love what they do. Although they "get out of the way of the music", you can't help staring at them with affection for what they do. Speaker design has come a long way.

MS 1400W: