Sjofn-Hifi The Clue Bookshelf Speakers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by Jeff K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
I'm not an audiophile. My 61-year-old ears don't warrant it, and my budget doesn't either. But to my ears, and for my money . . . these speakers are everything they're advertised to be. Tweaking is critical, however...follow ALL recommendations (a 22 degree toe in and a 1.2-to-1-to-1 distance from the speakers, as well as 20-inch stands, and CLOSE to the wall), and you'll be trying to figure out a way to get LESS bottom end from these puppies. Unbelievable. Toss the subwoofers. Fatigue-free, highly detailed sound. 6 stars.

Submitted by olu hamilton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Bottom Line:
At NY audio show I have finally understood the term 'SLAM'. Jealous of frank240. Gonna get a pair by hook or crook. In my opinion the only speakers that came close were the Ventures at almost TEN times the price. How'd they DO it???

Submitted by Len Tull a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
I first heard the Clues at the Audio Show in New York and was immediately taken with the bottom end coming from such a small enclosure. I have always been taken with things that give more then you expect and these speakers certainly fit the bill. So, after purchase and recommended breaking in period I really had opportunity to put them through their paces.
The speakers could and did handle everything that I pushed through them. Image wise... they were crazy! They give you an in your face type of imaging.

However, with that said I find the tweeter excessably brighter that I am accustom to listening too. Which for me, make them somewhat tiring after long periods of time. But, I still give them high marks for what they do

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by frank240 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these recently after auditioning a pair of Harbeths to be used with my Prima Luna tube integrated and Marsh Sound Design solid state amplifier. I love to purchase audio equipment that is considered a great bargain. This includes the above amplification plus Magneplanar 1.6R speakers and the like. Although I liked the Harbeths, I was not sold on them. After reading a review of Sjofn The Clue, I had to try them.

First of all, they are absolutely beautifully finished. Truly solid. Although a bit rough sounding right out of the box (as the instruction manual warns), they soon become musical, exciting, sweet and wonderful as they open up. These speakers make you want to listen to them.

I cannot recommend The Clue highly enough. I simply love what they do. Although they "get out of the way of the music", you can't help staring at them with affection for what they do. Speaker design has come a long way.

Submitted by Don Coleman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought these little speakers recently to replace the ones I owned that are much larger and cost many times the Clues because my new house does not have room for my old speakers. I needed something that would meet my sound standards in a much smaller room with built-in cabinets.

I have spent nearly half my career in the manufacturing side of the consumer electronics business, and have been an audiophile for more than 50 years. I have previewed dozens of speakers over the the past several years, some over six figures. None can beat the Clues for price/value relationship.

Despite their small size they turn out amazing bass, and the rest of the spectrum is is superb, not to mention the sound stage. These little speakers are magical! Even as an experienced speaker guy, I am not sure how they do it.

I could not recommend them more highly.