Rega Ara
Description: The Ara is a conventional bass reflex bookshelf loudspeaker that boasts a superb natural sound quality. The Ara can perform well with a low powered budget amplifier although when partnered with the highest possible quality amplification at higher power levels the Ara can outperform many of the best bookshelf loudspeakers produced regardless of price. The Ara can be placed away from a wall where it will produce a light bass output or close to a wall for a more powerfull bass. It can be stand, shelf or wall mounted.

Submitted by LI150 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
When I was first interested in the Ara's I looked in the usual places for a review and was surprised at how little review info there is on these. I was interested because I loved Rega's original Ela speaker and these looked to use the same bass driver.
As it turns out I have a Rega Brio (Original Super Version) amp. I thought it would be a natural combination. I was right. Once they were set up and hooked to the Brio these little babies shined.
It seams that these speakers are really sensitive to which amp they are matched to. On the Chines (Cayin) amp they were good. But on the Brio they are great.
They are clear with great detail (I can tell when the different tracks are edited in and out on a recording!) and the mids are dead on with rather good bass and P.R.A.T.. If I had to describe them in a word it would be they are a 'Live' sounding speaker.
However they do not do everything. The one thing they trade for all their strong points is that they really do not have a great front-to-back sound stage. (Some one suggested this is my CD player however.) That having been said I have never been to any live gig from Jazz, Rock or Classical that has a great sound stage. If this is something you really want, try the Epos in this price range.
If you want a great little speaker that sounds 'Live',upfront and will not strain your ear, give the Ara a listen.

Purchased At:   Loyalty and Sound

Submitted by Fransis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well I ended up buying them and am pleased I did. When I listened to them in the store they were hooked up to a Chinese solid state amp and I was impressed enough there to take them home. The pair were the last ones they had and were the floor model so I got a $500 pr for $275 CAN with tax!
As it turns out I have a Rega Brio (Original Super Version) amp. Once they were set up and hooked up to the Brio these little babies shined.
To get to the point it seams that these speakers are really sensitive to which amp they are matched too. On the Chines amp they were good. But on the Brio they are great.
They are clear with great detail (I can tell when the different tracks are edited in and out!) and the mids are dead on with rather good bass and PRAT. If I had to describe them in a word it would be they are a 'Live' sounding speaker.
However they do no do everything. The one thing they trade for all their strong points is that they really do not have an front-to-back sound stage. If this is some thing you really want, try the Epos. If you want a great little speaker that sounds 'Live' and will not strain your ear, give the Ara a listen.

Purchased At:   Loyalty and Sound