Piega AP3
Description: Design principle 2-way-system <br>Recommended <br>amplifier output 20 – 150 Watt <br>Sensitivity 90 db/W/m <br>Impedance 4 Ohm <br>Frequency range 45 Hz – 50 kHz <br>Equipment 2 10 cm MDS®-Bass <br>1 LDR-tweeter <br>Connection Multi-Connectors <br>Dimensions (H x W x D) 41 x 25 x 12 cm <br>Weight 6 kg <br>Finish Aluminum cabinet, <br>Front grill metal black <br>Aluminum cabinets <br>black anodized and <br>Front grill silver optional <br> <br>

Submitted by abrozost a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
There isn't much information about this company or this speaker here so I thought I should add something for those of you who are looking for a high quality, great sounding speaker that you can mount on the wall. My other search criteria were that they should be relatively flat and good looking considering the prominent location. To be clear, my search was for a real high fidelity speaker that can be used for music listening and not just for explosions and dialog in a home theater set up.

In my experience the problem in finding a wall mounted speaker is finding them set up somewhere to audition. I had to rely on user reviews for the most part to help with my decision. There was a bit of trial and error involved as well. I initially bought some Canton Ergo 610's as a replacement for some stand-mounted speakers (read my review) that I love(d). Though the Canton's were satisfactory for background listening I found them uninvolving for those rare occasions when I have a chance to really 'listen' to music without distraction. I went on a search for a replacement for the replacement speakers and happened upon the AP3's in a local shop. I live in Germany, by the way, so I don't know if you'll be able to find these so easily where you are.

About the speakers:
These do everything a speaker should do in a very compact package. These are not speakers that call attention to themselves either visually or acoustically. They are subtle and refined, revealing and airy without the harshness that sometimes comes along with this level of detail. In general, I find them very neutral and natural sounding.

There are some of the expected artifacts in the bass range due to the proximity to the wall but they are minimal. And they put out a surprising amount of bass considering the size, but I personally wouldn’t be satisfied without my REL subwoofer.

Other candidates I’ve tried were B+W FPM series wall mounts and ELAC wall mounts with ribbon tweeters. The fact that I didn’t buy them should despite significantly lowers prices should suffice as my review. Briefly, I found both the B+W’s and the ELAC’s too intrusive, constantly reminding me that I was listening to a speaker instead of just hearing music. I think they’re more suited to home theater than music.

The AP3’s are quite pricey, more than I wanted to spend, but I find them very satisfying for almost all situations and I can now call off the search for something better and just listen.

I hope this was helpful.