Mirage Loudspeakers FRXONEBK Bookshelf Speakers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

Mirage 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers - FRXONEBK/ 100 Watts Max Power/ Black Finish/ Price Per Pair

Submitted by was209 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers for a secondary system, which is actually an older system that needed speakers. All the criteria was there, rubber surrounds, metal dome tweeter, five way binding posts, and how could I resist the price? I put them in my primary system when they first arrived and was immediately impressed. My subwoofer was keeping the 80 hz. and lower information to itself and the FRX 3s seemed quite happy. I will add that when the 3s were hooked directly to the amp with full signal, the impression was not the same. With the full signal to deal with, I felt the speakers had much more to deal with and overall sonic performance was somewhat degraded. This may not be exactly fair, as what I normally listen to is not subjected to the full signal of my amp either. I now have them in the system in which I puchased them for and the are a perfect addition. If I had bought these speakers years ago I may not have any thing to compare them to. A very decent speaker that I would not resitate to use in a first rate A/V set-up or as rears in my primary system.(If I ever go multi channel). I have to keep reminding myself of the price. These speakers are worth every bit of the orginal $350.00 asking price.

Purchased At:   adudio advisor

Submitted by d_grady a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers to be monitors for my Pro-Tools based digital audio workstation. I wanted some really nice near-field studio monitors, but couldn't afford them, so I went with bookshelf speakers as a temporary fix. Accuracy is critical for me, so I wasn't going to cut these speakers any slack- so with a pristine receipt in hand I plugged them in.

After using them every day for six months I must say that I love them. The imaging is great, even at a distance of three feet. The bass is suprisingly full and tight for the size, kick drums boom and resonate without sounding distorted or boomy. Of course they did what all good spearkers should do well- the midrange is warm and articulate, vocals sit perfectly. I just love looking at my EQ set flat while listening to how good these sound.

I'm also very glad that my ancient Pioneer receiver has got a new lease on life thanks to these speakers. He couldn't have been more than a couple days away from e-bay when these speakers came along.

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Buys (display

Submitted by Crazy Canuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
These Mirage speakers sound great! They are being powered by my Yamaha RX-V530 and I've been very impressed with their capabilities. I did take the time to listen to some other brands before the purchase including KEF, JBL, but decided that in my price range these had the warmest and fullest sound. If I had more money I definately would have gone for the FRX-3 speakers but since I'm on a budget these did the trick. I think Mirage make a great product and would highly recommend giving these a try if you're looking for a set of speakers.

Purchased At:   Glubes

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers are excellent. They're made well, excellent quality throughout, they perform reliably, and they look refined (especially the cherry-wood).
I tested the speakers against similar models from psb, bose, sony, and jbl, with the frxone's performing better to my ear, especially compared to the bose speakers (they're all overrated and overpriced).
The speakers are great in bringing out the best in sound recordings and really let you hear how crappy 128 and lower mp3s can sound, as well as any noise generated by laptops and such.
My setup is: Mirage frx one's as front bookshelf speakers, Mirage's equally excellent 2001 model lf100 sub-woofer, a kenwood 200watt stereo reciever, and a panasonic dvd/cd/mp3 player.
I have used this setup in a small dorm room, bedroom, and large dorm room, all with excellent sound.

-Bottom line, if you're in this budget range and need speakers for a small-medium sized room as fronts or surrounds, or in a large room as surrounds, at least consider these great speakers.

Purchased At:   Glubes Sound Studio