Klipsch SB 1
Description: The Synergy Series SB-1 two-way, bookshelf loudspeaker must have made a deal with the devil. There's no other way to explain how a nine pound, 12.5-inch cutie like the SB-1 has the power and punch to fill your living room with sound that's so realistic and so dynamic. Of course, it could be the newly developed 4-inch square Tractrix horn and the ingenious Klipsch engineering. It looks like the devil really is in the details.

Submitted by nucleartape a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
My opinion of these speakers has changed over the years. When I got them, I was disappointed at the lack of bass response. Once I got a sub, I was happy with them until I really became a hardcore music listener. The clarity on these speakers is outstanding, and they do get incredibly loud, but they are no "warm" sounding by any means. Great for movies and metal music, not so great for everything else. Don't get me wrong- it's an incredible pair of speakers, but they don't have what I'm looking for- warmth and personality.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by bigdaveman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
Purchased these speakers to match my Klipsh main and center channel speakers. Using them for rears. Sound great. Clarity is astounding from such a small speaker. Base isnt bad either.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Have used the se as my prmary speakes for the last couple years with a sub to round out the sound. They are a little light on bass but very clear. Add the sub and you have an unreal sound in a small package. Just bought some RFIII that will be my primary fronts. these will be religated to the rears in my new theater setup. Hard to beat for the price

Submitted by Milton Esquinaldo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers to complete my home theater outfit. My center and rears are also Klipsh loudspeakers. These speakers require a bit of setup, but once they are in the right place perform excellently! If the speakers are placed about 1 foot away from back walls bass response is nice and solid to about 75 Hz - if placed too close to the rear they tend to get a bass "hump" at around 120 Hz and sound a bit boomy.

Once the speakers are properly placed and angled inwards the results are outstanding - mids and highs are smooth and extended with no audible straining or distortion (even at high volumes). Bass response is there but the deepest bass is not evident.

I highly recommend that these speakers be coupled up with an excellent subwoofer - like the Sunfire Subwoofer Junior. I have the Sunfire Junior and it makes the system perform flawlessly! In fact, my 2 small 12" satillites and 9" cube sub sound like Klipshorns! I am amazed at how these 3 tiny speakers can extend beautiful smooth highs, mids that jump out at you, and lows that are solid, fast and extend to about 23 Hz!

Highly recommended!

Milton

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Tried these speakers out recently. Unbelievable clarity. Thought my Vegas were the thing for the past 15 years. They're up for sale now! Wish I'd discovered Klipsch then. They have unbelievable clarity in mids and highs. Bass is pretty good, especially given this small size. Vocals jump out. Sound is excellent with everything I've put through them. I'm finding Klipsch horns addicting.. Very nice stereo imaging and sound dispersion. Listened to a CD that I've had for 10 years and found myself looking around the room and even outside for subtle sounds that I'd never heard before on the CD. No joke. Second playback revealed my stupidity. I'll stick with Klipsch from now on. Matched these with SB-3s in the front and an additional SB-1 in the center because it blew away my 'dedicated' Infinity center channel speaker. Wholeheartedly recommend. Can't fathom anyone being disappointed with these either as rears or with a sub. If you like more bass, get a sub and you'll still get the great mid/highs. Doubtful you can beat these in this price range and/or size.