JBL CONTROL1XTREME Bookshelf Speakers

JBL CONTROL1XTREME 2-Way 4" Personal-Size Monitor Loudspeaker (Pair)

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
They're Relatively balanced with clear highs and no artifical lows. I use them in my "office system" which is a H/K AVR 25II receiver connected to my PC via a Sound Blaster Extigy external sound card.

The Control 1s compare favorably with my beloved NHT SuperZeros that I used in my main system for 7 years. By comparison the NHTs are even a lit bit more forward than the SuperZeros, sacrificing a little bit of high end accuracy and having a bit more sizzle.

The Control 1s are revealing speakers and work well as pseudo near-field studio monitors, listening as I do at relatively close-range. They sound much more efficient than my SuperZeros, which are watt-hogs by comparison.

They certainly outclass many bookshelf speakers I've heard, but definitely require a subwoofer to produce full-range sound. I think many bookshelf speakers artificially emphasize frequencies under 100 Hz in order to fake being bassier, but at the expense of fidelty. Again, like the SuperZeros, the Control 1s don't produce much at all under 100 Hz, allowing them to better produce the frequencies that are more in their range.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Peter Laan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
JBL control 1x is an astonishing speaker wich sounds larger than its measures with clear mid and twinkeling high but no agressive slightly coloring but sympathic sound! Special at a low volume a grat performer