Infinity Systems Alpha 20 Bookshelf Speakers

4.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $308.00

The Alpha 20 bookshelf speakers are aces when it comes to combining great sound, good looks, and compact size. Looks like Infinity did it again! They've been designing fantastic speakers for years, and it's their innovation, research and understanding of customers' needs that brought the Alpha 20 to life.

Let's start with unique Infinity technology. The Alpha 20 boasts a 1" C.M.M.D. tweeter and a 6-1/2" C.M.M.D. woofer. C.M.M.D., or Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm, is a material designed by Infinity to produce exceptionally stiff, light drivers ideal when it comes to accurate, responsive reproduction of sound. This technology exists already in expensive, high-end Infinity lines, so it was ready to be reapplied in the more affordable Alpha line.

Key Features:

• video-shielded
  • bass-reflex
  • frequency response 55-22,000 Hz (ñ3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 89 dB
  • handles up to 100 watts
  • black ash or cherry vinyl finish
  • 5-way binding posts
  • 8-7/8"W x 15-1/8"H x 11-3/8"D
  • warranty: 5 years

Submitted by Angevoi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
They sound perfect for their price.

Submitted by kode3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I use the Infinity Alpha 20's as rear channel in a fifteen thousand dollar home theater, and I must say they hold there own. They’re a very robust little speaker. Great clarity for there size, and price range. Bass is less than most people would like, but what can you expect from a front-ported bookshelf. Matching a good subwoofer will solve that problem nicely. All in all a great speaker for the one hundred and fifty dollar price range.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by starman18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I used these to replace my smaller Infinity RS-1 that I then moved to my rears. I must say that the difference is astounding. I would compare these speakers to many others that I have heard at three times the price. I was so impressed that I bought another set and am now using a third Alpha 20 as my center. It is performing very well and is obviously magnetically sheilded because it is causing no problems with my television. I find that these speakers have more than enough bass, considering they are bookshelf speakers, but then I would never use a bookshelf speaker unless combining it with a sub.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Rally Cat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that the Alpha 20's are both a little cheesy looking and stylish at the same time, but this is because of the grill. I'd rather the grill just go up and down straight instead of slooping slightly inwards on the top and bottom.

No big deal.

I knew that these had a great rep for giving good sound, but I was not prepared for what I was about to hear:

I first tried one of my fav Dwight Yoakam albums, "A Long Way Home". At the first track, Dwight and Pete Anderson give a cool low key picking on two acoustic guitars, and I gotta say that I couldn't determine with my eyes closed whether it was them right in front of me, or an amazing pair of speakers. The output of sound, fantastic. Even the steel guitar didn't get too bright, neither Yoakam's high notes while singing. I didn't wince. Just get the equalizer or bass / treble right, and there's no eye squinting!

I decided to try something that's more funky, and bass that if not tweaked properly, will result in muddy and sloppy bass: this album is Sky's "Travelling Infinity.

On a pair of Sound Dynamics' tower speakers at home, I can never get it to sound "just right": Anastasia's vocals seem to be a little too shiny since she's up there in the highs a lot and I have to turn the treble up quite a bit so the great bass from the tracks don't drown out any vocals: too high, and there goes my eyes squinting: too low, and Anastasia and any vocals, guitar or trumpets sound like there playing under a duvet. You'd think I could for sure find a medium for the speakers with this album: good luck if you wanna try. It's always the bass over lapping the treble or vice versa with this album.

The Alpha's brought a shine to her vocals without any hard brightness out. The bass wasn't pushing too hard at all, mind you it wasn't very dynamic either. If you are someone who needs a
"wham!" of bass ALWAYS, then these have to be put with a good subwoofer. I don't need so much bass ALL the time, just when I feel like it, and the Alpha 20's do give at least a decent bass. This album is so funky though, that there were moments that I craved for more bass, depending on the song, and the time of day. So I bought a Polk 404 sub for them in case my cravings get the best of me.

The best thing about these speakers is that they don't just give out the sound: it breathes without stress, and the sound really pours out with realism. And, when the sound pours out, it's not sitting in a tunnel or cone effect like a lot of SWEET SPOT speakers. They spread it out more. And for a pair of bookshelf speakers, I couldn't believe the output and power coming from them. I have a VERY large livingroom, and I may not blast my music, but I like it loud too. I almost went for a pair of towers, but these were even more accurate with sound than their bigger brothers Alpha 40's and 50's, mind you they were really good as well. After purchasing the great Polk 404 sub, there was no need for towers: besides, try a pair of bookshelf speakers and a SEPERATE sub: MUCH MUCH better bass and sound than with a monster tower speaker with two or three drivers giving bass. The relationship that my sub and my Alpha's have is terrific-the bass is so clean, while a lot of other tower speakers I tested with bass drivers weren't very clean-the bass boomed too long and didn't give the accurate punches I was looking for, thus defeating the tweeters sound somemtimes. And movies, well, let's just say that the sounds I get, make me drool (slobber, slobber).

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Colodeti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have just buy my pair of Alpha 20. I've used for a long time Pioneer's speakers of my HTB. Today I'm still using the VSX-510 receiver but the sound look very better, more clear, with details I've never see. I think that Alpha 20 is a very good entry level bookshelf speaker. In the future I'll buy the Alpha Center speaker and the Primus 140 (for surround). I'm very happy with my choice.

Purchased At:   hifi club