Focal Chorus 806 V
Description: <br>Type :2-way bass-reflex bookshelf speaker. <br>Drivers : 61/2"(16.5cm) Polyglass mid-bass. 1"(25mm) TNV Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter. <br>Frequency response (+or-3dB) : 55Hz - 28kHz <br>Low frequency point : 47Hz <br>Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) :90dB <br>Nominal impedance : 8 Ohms <br> Minimum impedance : 3.6 Ohms <br>Crossover frequency : 3 000Hz <br>Recommended power amplifier : 25 - 120W

Submitted by Veda a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
You get what you paid for, nice sound + finishing. Doesn't really excel in anything but will work with any type of music. Not as dynamic as PSB B6 or as enchanting as Usher Dancer series but this is the speaker to use for maximum visual impact without breaking the bank and sacrificing overall sound. Front port helps with placement too. Makes a nice office system...

Submitted by peks1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy listening to these speakers, I have owned B&W 603, and just wanted bookshelf speakers because my living space is a little smaller. I shopped around listened to B&W 685,686,monitor audio BX2,RX1,RX2, Focal 806v,807v, Paridigm studio 10s,20s. I was lucky to met a guy selling his 806v and I didn't hesitate to buy them and boy am I happy with this purchase. I own a sub so bass is not a problem I didn't need the speakers to give me a low bass. I wanted a good clean sound and just be able to enjoy my music and watch movies and I have that with these speakers. I own a boston accoustic PV800 sub and I might buy the focal 800 CH speaker I currently own Boston accoutics VR 920. My system is powered by Technics SA-TX50.

Submitted by Ronin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
One of the best bookshelf speakers I've listened too recently. Listened to B&W 685 and KEF Qi30. I couldn't really find a weakness on the Focal. Good vocals, bass, piano and imaging. I am rather at a loss for words, as I didn't want to like these speakers, but I do like these speakers. Are they a steal for the price? Not really, but they aren't out of the ballpark either. If you've never heard these give them a try.

Submitted by restrad1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers new to replace a pair of Thiel CS1's that I had for many years. I no longer had room for floor standing speakers and needed something bookshelf size. These speakers fill the room with a wonderful full and rich sound that totally belies their size. The image extends beyond the speakers and they convey a 3D image of what is played thru them. Highs are extended and open, mids are articulate and natural, lows sound well controlled and reasonably substantial for a speaker of this size, to its limit of 50hz. If you want deep bass you will need a sub, oherwise these speakers will play quite loud and still remain composed. They are efficient enough to be driven to room filling levels of music with a modest power amp. The one thing that should be avoided would be bright sounding electronics, ie cheap solid state, that would make them sound edgey bright and unbalanced. I am powering them with a Jolida jd202 40 watt x2 tube amp that I have done tube rolling on for a warm lush sound and they sound sweet. These speakers will expose the source material for what it is, a well done clean recording sounds wonderful. A bad recording or one that is not well done sounds for what it is, terrible, and that is the only time that I have not heard these speakers sound good, but then they are doing what they are supposed to do reproduce accurately what is sent to them ! For the size and price these Focals are hard to beat !!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Stliong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
If it weren't for the added premium price of the nice but fragile finish, I'd give this a 4 star value rating. Some say that this is exactly the same as the 706V but with added cosmetics. I've compared both through an extended audition and everyone in the room felt the 806V is noticeably better than the 706V. These speakers excel both in looks and sound quality. It's balanced from top to bottom and can play any kind of music very well. Of course there are other speakers that focuses on certain types of music or areas but the 806V are definitely the top choice when it comes to branding, image, and all around usage. Being a jack of all trades means there are cons and I believe the vocals sound a bit dry even after using Musical Fidelity SS set. The bass can also be a bit tighter but still acceptable for movies and rock. But overall its a speaker that's capable of anything from a party to a private late night session.

Product model year:   2008