Energy Speaker Systems RC-10
Description: Reference Connoisseur RC-10 bookshelf speakers mdash; who knew that something so small could make such monster sound? Whether you use them for great stereo sound, as part of a kickin gaming system, or to make your home theater rock, these speakers bring tower-like sound to your bookshelf. <ul> <li>Speaker System: Bass Reflex, Rear Vented</li> <li>Recommended Amplifier Power: 175 watts RMS</li> <li>Impedance: 8 ohms</li> <li>Minimum Impedance: 4 ohm</li> <li>Frequency response: 58Hz-23000Hz +/- 3dB</li> </ul>

Submitted by Scott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
I don't know where the MSRP of $249 comes from, but I paid about $300 for them 3 +/- years ago from Vann's and was happy to do so. They replaced a pair of Epos ELS-3s (another good monitor) that didn't have quite enough guts in the mid-range / upper mid-range. Both work well when paired with the Epos ELS sub for 2 channel audio.

I should say that I consider speakers to be one of the least important components as I subscribed to the philosophy of “the signal is all down-hill”. In other words if the information doesn't come out of your source component then it won't come out of your preamp. If it doesn't come out of your preamp then it won't come out of your amp – and it definitely will not come out of your speakers. You get the idea. Not everyone's philosophy, but after 30+ years at this hobby and with the coaching of some very well known names in Audio – I have not had reason to think otherwise. Regardless, you have to have a decent pair of speakers and the Energy RC-10s definitely qualify - at a bargain basement price.

Substantial changes to my already very good system a couple of years ago found the RC-10s somewhat wanting in resolution, but I still liked the sound and they were a good match for my rig. I was into DIY AC cables at that time and wondered if the RC-10s couldn't do better as well. Long story short – I sent the RC-10 crossovers to the Skiing Ninja (I'm not kidding!) for a substantial parts upgrade. When the crossovers returned I re-installed them with a couple of other tweaks (better wire + dampening).

At that same time I had one of the hottest $1500 pair of monitors going to compare with. Before the RC-10s (crossovers) left the choice was fairly obvious and not in their favor. After the RC-10s had been upgraded it was a whole new ballgame and the $1500 monitors were quickly sold as they were now obviously inferior in my system. In fairness to the $1500 monitors they were still quite good but not as flexible and my setup being less than ideal in arrangement requires some give. Regardless, the modded RC-10s were superior and I would put them up against any $2500 monitor out there and even if they came in 2nd place – they would still be admired for doing so. I think I have less than $600 into them.

In summary: The Energy RC-10s are a great value and very flexible speakers. They are vented, but come with plugs for the vents so you can more easily adjust them to your setup. I have $10,000+ worth of EQ (built up over several decades) upstream of the RC-10s and thought enough of them to see if they couldn't be made even better and stay in the system. They were good enough to keep around in stock form and are so much better with a few upgrades that I doubt they will ever see another home.

Cheers

Submitted by Doug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
Love these speakers. I have Energy C-8s, C-3s and AC-300 along w/ a Denon 2800 series amp in my AV system and V2.2i w/ a Yamaha 130wpc amp in my music stereo system. I decided to upgrade the music system to surround sound by adding rear speakers. Found the RC-10s for $300 at Vann's and added them onto the latter system. They sit on end tables at either end of a couch in front of the Veritas speakers. These speakers easily hold their own w/ the Veritas as rears and are well matched in sound. The Veritas go deeper but the blend is awesome. In a A - B comparison the Veritas is noticably better but when played together it is just magnificent sound, even in 7 channel stereo for music. The RC-10 has much cleaner sound than my Connesieur speakers but of course the C-8s play much lower and have much more impact in that respect. I rarely play load but these speakers can all force me to leave the room with my ears hurting although the speakers play cleanly all the way up the scale. Anytime you can buy a $300 dollar pair of speakers that can play in the same league as the $1800 V2.2i's, I say you are getting an incredible deal!

Submitted by nikosidis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I'm a big fan of Energy. I had plenty of speakers and found Energys tweetes to be the best I heard.
First I heard the Energy Veritas at a friends house. 2.3i, Floorstander.
Real nice in two words.
I was looking for a bookshelf speaker for our bedroom and in a local electronic shop 3-4 years ago, I found the Energy C-50 real cheap. I was blown by many things with this speaker. What made me want more was the limitation of this kind of speaker at higher volume levers. That me try out the C200. To be fair not my favorite. To much coloring from the cabinet. Pretty typical for a flourstander in it's price range. I then went for C-100. Very nice speaker. Sure also some limitations, but in my opinion best in it's price range. Since I had so many great spears in the past, inkluding PSB Synchrony One I wanted something a little better than the C-100 I was looking around for the RC-10 after reading many good things about them. I Found a new pair on e-bay.
When they arrived I was taken by their high-end looks. Not easy match by other brands at it's price point.

Sound impressions:
First I noticed where the tweeter. After reading I was pretty sure it was kind of the same as in my C-100, but this was even better.
The bass is also better and more natural. I could place this speaker little closer to my back wall than C-100.
They should still be placed around 2-3 feet from back and side walls. It would still depend little on your room, source and amp though. The point here is that they are more natural than C-100. What is obious is also a much better bass driver. Less distrotion and go louder. It's is damed impressive how loud theese speakers go. As said by many others and what I like most about Energy, is the way they don't get in the way of the music. They are not picky about recordings, but at the same time does not roll of the tweeter or sound laid back. They can sound very big and make a good 3D imaging. Placing instruments in the right space. They disapear easy as most small speakers do. I could continiue to rave about this and that. Last thing I want to say is that every speaker needs to be matched. I tried them with my Denon 1910 bi-amped. Sounded very tight and controlled with good detali, but little dull in the upper req.. With my Audio Analogue amp I got all the exitement I was looking for. Much more colors and the right timre on instruments.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by aclark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
This speakers are amazing! For a little more than $300 (cherry veneer, purchased on sale from Audio Advisor) they have opened up my music collection and the world of audiophile equipment just as did my first pair of Grado headphones. Not only do they sound incredible, but the fit and finish round out a package that's worth twice what I paid--and maybe more.

Last year I was looking for a replacement for an older set of Energy bookshelf speakers (my first introduction to quality speakers). Not wanting to spend more than $350 and less than impressed with what I found in that range in the Energy lineup, I more or less settled on the PSB Alpha B1s. While searching the AA site I discovered the RC-10s on clearance for just a few dollars more than the PSBs. After reading the Sound Stage review of the RC-10s I jumped on them. Now that they are fully broken in and I've upgraded the rest of my system to do them justice (NAD C740, $150 on Craigslist and NAD 5170, free on the street), I can say that I will never let these speakers go.

Whether playing jazz, bluegrass, classical, electronic, rock, or folk they produce a beautifully accurate sound--with extraordinarily rich but never harsh highs--that grabs my attention over and over again. And for all the serious volume they can put out without a sweat, they also sound lovely at NYC apartment late-evening listening levels.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by dkord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've been using the Energy RC-10's for stereo use for a month and a half and now that they've been reasonably broken in (I'm really getting accustomed to their sonics) I wanted to offer my opinion of them. Speakers are much more refined these days and benefit from latest technology and materials and at a much more reasonable price than ever. From the finely crafted cabinets (I have the cherry) to the high-grade components incorporated into the RC-10's, there is plenty of value and pride of ownership here. In my thinking, Energy went several steps beyond what you ordinarily get at this price point by offering a smooth, detailed and realistic presentation of instruments and voices, balanced frequency response and a really convincing soundstage. They remind me of the "you are there" realism and the great imaging I experienced with my first really good speakers, the PSB Stratus Mini’s that I bought back in '93 which back then were $900 list. The Mini's weren't so mini, though. My lord, they were seventeen inches tall! I've owned several different good pairs since then but for the size I think the Energy's are a cut above with a smooth and clear top end and well-defined distortion-free response up and down the frequency range. As for the bass and lower midrange, there is slam aplenty and they don’t necessitate use of a subwoofer unless they are to be used primarily for heavily effect-laden Dolby Digital video playback in a multi-channel system or if they are to be used in a larger area. I have them positioned on the long wall in my 16 X 12 living room, about 2 feet from the wall and the bass is tight and tuneful. If, however they are to be placed close to a wall or corner area, or the owner is a little bass-shy, foam plugs for the port holes are included to lower output to help balance out the sound if needed. All kidding aside, there is plenty of taut, tuneful bass to be had here with good room placement.

Rebecca Pidgeon's 'Raven' and Johnny Frigo and John Pizzarelli's 'Live at Studio A' (Chesky Records) really show what the Energy's are capable of. Everything sounds as it should and in proper perspective with warmth, body, nuance and refinement such that you feel the ambience and depth of listening to live music. Of course, coverage is a bit smaller than tower systems given the proportions of the RC-10's rather small enclosures but they indeed pack a lot of sound from well-braced, solid cabinets, a good Kevlar woofer and a quality aluminum dome tweeter. Aside from jazz recordings, they are also capable of doing justice to your favorite rock CD's and can be turned up to fairly loud levels with your ears in reasonably good shape when the tracks you want to hear are over. In fact, the Energy's are very easy to listen to since they don't overdo the mids and highs and while remaining warm in character also provide a well-defined presentation of instruments and vocals. Soundstaging as I said is excellent and they have a wide "sweet-spot" so you can sit off-center without losing the image.

Associated Equipment:
Denon AVR-1707 Receiver (75 wpc)
Denon DVD-1730