Energy Speaker Systems XL-150
Description: The XL-150 is a small yet powerful speaker solution that can be placed virtually anywhere. The 5-1/2" woofer and vented enclosure provide incredible bass response for its size. The newly designed woofer features a convex cone design for lowered distortion, improved midrange tone, and wider dispersion.

Submitted by Sean Leland a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
For $150 Canadian brand new in the box, the Energy XL-150 bookshelf speakers are attractive, solid, and are used daily in my music studio. I discovered these on sale in a flyer at an electronics store in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and after testing a demo pair in the noisy shop, I knew that they would be able to perform well in my studio as monitors. I have yet to be disappointed. Other brands of bookshelf speakers and monitors have been used in my studio, but the Energy XL-150 speakers provide the cleanest and richest sound of all the speakers tested in the same configuration.

Purchased At:   Edmonton

Submitted by MJAB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
When I saw this little speakers for the first time they grabbed my attention because of their look...very atractive speakers, in fact. I wanted to change my entire Boston Acoustics Home Theater arrangement and also read a good review about this Energy bookshelfs on Goodsound, so I decided to listen them. My surprise at the listening room was because of their strong bass for its size and their capacity to sound really loud, tested with Santana Supernatural Live DVD, so I decided to buy three pairs: front, rears and one for center channel (yes, I though that, as I am introducing to DVD audio and SACD, I needed five identical speakers, so it was better an extra pair than a center channel that, by the way, costs the same and I did not liked). So I brought them to my house, connected to my NAD T743 and begun to listening. I will not waste time on its physical or technical characteristics but on its sound.
First, I got the impression of hearing a more expensive speaker because of their natural, clear sound, with a wide soundstage that really goes beyond of their edges, making them almost disapear.
The highs, although clear and present, are a little rolled off in comparison to other good similar speakers; they can be described as smooth and pleasant, never dull or dark. You can sense the presence of the harpshicords on Bach´s Concertos for 3 and 4 harpshicords (Archiv 400041-2) and the harpshicord on Vivaldi Sonatas sounded beautiful with the cello´s accompainment (Ofra Harnoy Vivaldi Sonatas, RCA Red Seal). The violins on the Allegro from Mozart Concerto No. 24 for piano and Orchestra (Istomin, Seattle Symph, Reference Recording RR-68CD)sounded with just the right warmth without being sibilant or "wirey", if you know what I mean. Turning to jazz, the sax never sounded harsh on Art Davis A time Remembered (JPCD 4001).
The mids are somewhat laid back, affecting specially the voices and putting them a little bit on the rear, but preserving the natural bloom of that voices, as I noted with the contralto solo an the chorus on Mahler Symphony N.3 (Solti, Chicago Symph. London 414268-2). On the other hand the piano sounded great on good recordings like Horowitz, The Last Recording (Sony SK 45818).
The bass response was really impressive for a speaker of this size and price, specially on heavy pop music like Madonna Inmaculate Collection, kicking butts at my actually listenig position; of course they did not reproduced the low pedal tones from Bach Toccata and Fugue in F major (E. Power Biggs, SACD SS 87983) or the bass drum rolling from Grofé Grand Canyon Suite opening (Dorati, Detroit Symph. London 410110-2), but for this you need a subwoofer.
I made a direct AB comparison with another 3 similar priced speakers: Boston Acoustics CR6, Polk RT25i and NHT Super Zero. The Boston CR6 where not match for the Energy speakers; they sounded constricted, with unpleasant mids and poor bass, giving them a "nasal" presentation. The Polks have a more detailed treble, resolving better the inner detail on high frequency instruments an revealing more things like the soft, metallic sound from the touch of the guitar´s cords (Erick Clapton Unplugged), but the Energy speakers sounded more open and with less congestion on the mid bass with a better overall sounstage; they also sounded louder and with better bass response than the Polks; anyway I think that Bob Reina overrated the Polks on his Stereophile 2001 review. The NHT Super Zero were the absolute winner over the highs and mids from the Energy speakers; they sounded more open, transparent and detailed than the Energys, but as you can gess, the total lack of bass from the Super Zeros can make them sound thin and harsh, depending on what kind of gear you use; so, the overall presentation from the Energys can be more engaging for some people than the one from the Super Zeros.
Which speaker I prefer? If you are not crazy about a high resolution minimonitor and just want a good enough speaker to enjoy music with good quality mid-priced gear, the Energy XL-150 can be all what you need because of its well balanced, clear sound, and for just 200 USD is a bargain. Maybe not the best speaker for a High End tube amplifier (suposing that you want to hear everything on any recording...like me).

Purchased At:   Tecnologías de Avanz