Dynaudio Confidence C1 Bookshelf Speakers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $6000.00

Dynaudio introduces the new Confidence C1, the first compact loudspeaker in the innovative, high-performance Confidence series. The technology is based on the development of the Confidence C2 and C4 models, integrated into a two-way design with a clear-cut but individually contoured shape.

The C1 was developed to be used both as a two-channel stereo speaker as well as a main, side or rear channel speaker in a surround set-up in the Confidence performance level. The C1 base plinth is designed with integrated mounting holes to accommodate the new Dynaudio Stand², a solid and aesthetically suitable base for the loudspeaker. The C1 may also be placed on bookshelves or into A/V cabinetry if necessary.

Submitted by Eli72 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
After reading all these positive reviews I had to hear a pair of these for myself. I really wanted to like them, I even tried purchasing them twice on audiogon but someone else beat me to it. They sell real fast, another indication that they are desired and should sound great, or should they.

I called a dealer and arranged an audition. They did sound good, no doubt, the Mids are clear and natural, The high frequencies are also nice, acceptable, but not as airy and refined as the Dynaudio Esotar T330D drivers which I have heard on the Egglestone Works Andrea, also available on the Dynaudio Confidence C3 and C5 which are currently discontinued. They wanted $6000 for a pair, can you repeat that, $6000 for these tiny boxes?

Where did the C1's fail heavily? In the bass area, none at all, flat and boring. The room was about 18 x 18 and had good equipment. I have a pair of Polk audio LSI9's at home and they can produce deep bass and smooth, airy, highs, they probably cannot compete with the C1's in the Mid-range territory but I never had the chance to do a side by side, they also cost 12 times less. Don't get me wrong the C1's sound fabulous for those who love vocals, piano, violin, anything without deep bass, soft music, maybe some jazz. I think it's an insult to charge $6000 for a pair of speakers that cannot go clean into the 30/35 hertz area.

Now just next to the C1's was a pair of Wilson Sophia II, for about $3000 more you get ten times the speaker of any Dynaudio Confidence speaker. Simply put I have never heard a finer speaker than Wilson Watt. Only one channel was working on the Sophia but that one single channel sounded better than both channels on the C1. I was taken to the next room where a larger Wilson Audio Sasha stood and I listened carefully to that pair. One audition on the Wilson's and I never wanted to hear the C1's after that. I know there is a big price difference but Wilson's sound signature is in another category on all their models, even the less expensive ones.

Considering there might have been a slight possibility that the C1's were not set up properly (I highly doubt it) I am still open to trying a pair at my home with my equipment to finally conclude these are over hyped speakers at a great cost.

5 stars if it was priced at $3000-$3500 where they should be. 3.5 Stars for now

Submitted by Herv a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
There is a long time I should have written this review. I changed my 15-years-old speakers, a pair of Equation 1B standfloor one year ago for a pair of brand new Dynaudio C1 monitors. The speakers at that time were showing good qualities but the amplification stage of my system was not strong enough to drive them properly. I knew that from the beginning but I could not afford a balanced system in one shot. 2 month ago I changed my Thule IA60B SE for an integrated Plinius 9200 amplifier. I must say that the combo works perfectly and enables the C1 to deliver very high musical results.

Context
Before starting the audition, let me describe the whole context. My room is quite small : 4x5 meters, opened on a bigger one, which explains my choice of bookshelf monitors rather than big standfloor ones. I located the monitors on Dynaudio stands with the back at one meter far from the rear wall. As I said previously the amplifier is a Plinius 9200, totally transparent and powerful (2w300W / 4Ohms). The CD player is the weakest piece of the chain, but does not work so bad. It is a Thule CD150B upgraded with the 192Khz/24bit Digit II converter. An AudioQuest Cobra interconnects the source to the amplifier in symmetric mode. The C1 are linked to the Plinius by AudioQuest Crystal cables.

Listening
The image is impressively wide, with sounds rising sometimes far away from the right or the left boxes and with plans coming from behind the loudspeakers. Close your eyes, the band is just there, you can’t guess the speakers location. The sound is very clear, very detailed and very realistic. You just listen to music and not to an Hifi system. The frequency-range is very large and flat. At the condition there is some recorded on the CD, bass is incredibly reproduced with very deep, fast and powered response. Totally amazing with such small monitors !

Conclusion
To me, the C1 is a top of art product which offers to a music lover all what he can expect from loudspeakers. Well driven, with a Plinius 9200 for instance, it is simply wonderful. I look forward to changing my CD player in order get the best the system can deliver.

I apologise for my lack of precision when describing how the C1 sounds, but I am French and my Ear to English converter does not meet the high-end standard that the C1 would have deserved !

Purchased At:   L'auditorium - Nante

Submitted by Hervé Parizot a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
There is a long time I should have written this review. I changed my 15-years-old speakers, a pair of Equation 1B standfloor one year ago for a pair of brand new Dynaudio Confidence C1 monitors. The speakers at that time were showing good qualities but the amplification stage of my system was not strong enough to drive them properly. I knew that from the beginning but I could not afford a balanced system in one shot. 2 month ago I changed my Thule IA60B SE for an integrated Plinius 9200 amplifier. I must say that the combo works perfectly and enables the C1 to deliver very high musical results.

Context

Listening

Conclusion

I apologise for lack of precision when describing how the C1 sounds, but I am French and my Ear to English converter does not meet the high-end standard that the C1 would have deserved !

Purchased At:   L'auditorium (Nantes

Submitted by Gerardo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Sorry for my poor english. I had the chance to hear this loudspeaker with a few amps. I must say that its sensibility demands strong amplifiers. I heard it with 15 w/c singled-ended tube amp: a desaster. The amp cannot drive the loudspeakers. Later, with an hibrid 150 w/c amp and the loudspeaker sound very well. Later with an 25w/c push-pull tube amp: enough to drive the loudspeaker but i recommend more watt (at least 50 w/c in pure class A). At least,a Classe amp in class AB, more than 200 w/c.
I must say that complex orchestral sound are uncomfortable for this loudspeaker, in special in low mids and bass; not clear.
This loudspeaker are a good young wine but not a "Gran Reserva"... not a Vega Sicilia, Petrus or Chateau Margaux. I prefer for classical my old rogers, spendor or Harbeth, Proac... something more britain, more polite, good behaved

Purchased At:   -

Submitted by ajay555 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I went in the store to add a mcintosh pre-amp to my great system. But to my wonder when the sales person used the bookself for my audition, I was simply amazed. I just purchased a Sonus Faber Grand piano home speakers. But after listening to these i had to have them. The sound stage is wide, the tonal balance is the best i have ever heard. The base was far superior than my floor speakers.

Purchased At:   LA AUDIO