Cambridge Soundworks M80 Bookshelf Speakers

4.24/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

The M80 is the top-of-the-line Newton M Series bookshelf. Each beautiful real-wood enclosure contains an 8-inch woofer, a 3.5-inch midrange driver and a silk fabric tweeter. The three-way design ensures realistic and precise sound with wonderful stereo imaging, a trait often lacking from bookshelf speakers. All of the speakers in this line feature the finest drivers, precision internal crossover design and elegant enclosures. Great care has been taken in order to combine audiophile-level details and reasonable cost. The speakers may be positioned vertically or horizontally on any flat, stable surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to protect the finish of the speakers. The versatile M80's tweeter/mid-range mounting plate can be repositioned, in case you choose to place them horizontally. The M80's can also be bi-wired. Bi-wiring uses one length of speaker wire to drive the tweeter/mid-range section of the speaker and a separate length of speaker wire to drive the woofer. Both lengths of wire are connected to the same full-range amplifier speaker outputs. Available with knit grilles and in the same blonde maple and mahogany real-wood finishes as the Newton Series towers. Also available in slate.

Submitted by Audio chowder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2017

Bottom Line:
For the money, not bad.
I have had these since they were new, some time in the 90’s. They have been matched with 3 different system, a Sony seperates, an Onkyo receiver for the 90’s, and current running bi-wired from a Rotel RA-1060 integrated. These speakers seem to accurately reflect the characteristics of each of these systems. The highs are clear and fairly well detailed, rarely harsh, except with bad recordings. The mids are present, but to my ears could be a touch sweeter. Not a complaint- more a preference. The bass is solid, not overblown. I have them about 10” from the back wall in a 24’x20’ room in a 2.0 setup. Plenty of volume. Fans of bombastic bass will add a sub anyway. These get very loud, but sound a little congested when pushed. I mostly listen at mhoderate levels to classical, jazz, rock, and drone ambient. Imaging is fairly good for these styles. They are large and quite heavy. If you can find a pair in decent shape for a good price, consider them. Just feed them with quality watts and I think you will enjoy them.

Submitted by Randal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2017

Bottom Line:
I believe the year is correct. They were OK overall. The bass is muddy at higher volumes with music and movies. The bass is almost punchy and overpowering yet without the definition I'd like. I can fix it by adding the Cambridge Soundworks P1000 but generally I'd rather run the speakers without a subwoofer. The real problem is that in my system, which has a Yamaha RX V990 watt receiver, I believe 4 times now I start hearing a tinny sound, soon realizing the midrange tweeter assembly has again failed. These are correctly bi-wired which helped the sound quality immensely to my ears. Since in my years since the cheap Pioneer speakers I blew at College 30+ years ago, I've not had the problem with any other speakers. I also have an old pair of Paradigm Eclipse that to this day I haven't heard better. They were purchased back in 93 and I'll take these with me for the rest of my life. Not so much on the M80s. I need to get another midrange/tweeter unit and sell these puppies once and for all.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by jpsyoda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
I just bought a pair of m80s on eBay for around $100 shipped. I bi wired them and am driving them with my vintage Marantz 2238b. All I can say is wow... these speakers sound INCREDIBLE! I have owned ads l1290, Pioneer hpm100, jbl l100 t3, and other audiophile speakers. These keep up with the best of them. By far best bookshelf speakers I've owned. The sound is big, fairly detailed, crisp, without being harsh. Some have said they sound muddy... nope. Anything but. Very clear, great midrange, and solid, accurate bass. I won't be parting with these bad boys.

Submitted by dwayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
pretty good speakers and a joy to listen too

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
These speakers are cosmetically excellent, built tough, sound pretty good. Want a great tip? The M60's sound better! I have both sets and the bass is actually better on the 6" driver M60's. I run very very powerful carver amps and run the m80's bi'd with a second set of CSW t500's which rock.