Bose 101 Music Monitor Bookshelf Speakers

3.37/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $220.00

Book Shelf Speaker

Submitted by Karl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
I'm bit of a pest when it comes to music, I like it loud so me and the rest of the word can hear it too lol. Recently I was forced to downsize my speakers due to noise complaints however, and at the time I happened to come across these bose speakers. After some research I found them to be rather rare these days as they're now discontinued, and even more so my particular versions, (rated 10-80 watts @ 4-8 ohm with the more durable stardriver design rubber full range drivers), so couldn't resist buying them. I hooked them up and I was pleased. Not too bassy obviously, but respectable for their size, good midrange and impressive treble considering they use no additional tweeters. With a good amplifier you can definitely squeeze out a volume that certainly doesn't have much in common with the physical size of these speakers. I have to say, if I came across another pair of these anywhere in the future, I would buy a second pair to hook up as my B speakers.

Submitted by allenrob108 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
Good for what they are;small, one driver, inexpensive speakers that work well in small spaces. The problem I have is with the Bose corporation and their policy on repairs to their products. The speaker wire terminals on one of my speakers broke when the speakers were dropped. I called Bose to get a replacement speaker wire terminal and they won't sell me one. Their POLICY is that they WON'T sell parts for their speakers. They did OFFER to repair the speakers for $75 plus shipping!
The Bose representative said they would look at the drivers and if they had problems with the surrounds, they would replace them as well for that price. Considering they have the weather proof Star drivers in them they shouldn't need to be replaced. So in essence they want me to spend at least $100 for repair and all of the shipping costs to replace a spring terminal that costs all of 50 cents. Something they should have just sent to me free considering I buy their products.
I would not recommend anyone buy their products because of their terrible customer service. So I give the product a three star rating but only a one star for value because of the terrible customer service. I will not in the future and recommend that you not, buy their products because of their awful after purchase service.

Submitted by gvr4ever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
The 101s have very nice mid range and trebble. No bass what so ever. I don't recomdend them for main speakers. Maybe for a back room. I use them to back up my polk audio speakers because they do have a wonderfull sound for the range they do produce. They can produce very nice clear highs and I can hear notes out of them that don't come from my main speakers.

Purchased At:   gift

Submitted by Doug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers. Nice clear and crisp sound, good bass for their size. Very very durable. I took one of them to be used at a conference I was holding and i forgot these things were only 4 ohms. my amp was set at 8 so yeah.. i smelled the speaker burning. it didnt work after that day. the other day i took it apart and checked and nothing seemed wrong except for some burnt cotton so i hooked it back up and lone behold the speaker worked again.

Submitted by Richard a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm a musician playing a variety of gigs and needed a small, sturdy, vocal monitor with a 1/4" imput jack for my small gigs. I took a chance on these as they were considerably less than traditional "Hot Spot" monitors.
These work GREAT for vocal monitors! I don't know (or care) how they would sound for a stereo system.

Purchased At:   eBay