Aperion Audio Intimus 522D-LR Bookshelf Speakers

4.86/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $180.00

The Aperion Audio Intimus 522D loudspeaker provides a rich sound, clear detail, and refined transient response, making it a versatile speaker for music or movie soundtracks.

Submitted by minacel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Excellent system, would recommend to any friend.
(Price is for speakers, Onkyo receiver 3K, stands about 50-100 each)

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Aperion Audio websit

Submitted by lempdx1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
OK, I am not an audioguro or geek! I actually feel silly saying tweeter and my friends St. Bernard comes to mind when someone says woofer. What I do know is that my ears are profoundly in love with my new speakers and I just can't seem to wipe the grin off my face. But I am getting ahead of myself. First, Aperion has unrivaled customer service. Second, their return policy, they pay for shipping, is fantastic. If you don't like the product. Call them up and send them back. Done!
Finally, the speakers are really well manufactured. A solid sturdy product that is also esthetically pleasing. That was important to me.
There has not been a moment of listening that has let me down. I use them for both Movie watching and music listening. I did a real 30 day side by side test with everything I could find in my audio arsenal against some BOSE 301 speakers my brother forgot at my house. Truth is I lied. The last 10 days I didn't bother with the BOSE. And I didn't send back the Aperions.
Bottom line: if you want some really great speakers at a very reasonable price you can not go wrong! Yes you can spend quite a bit more of your hard earned dollars and get marginally better speakers but then you would be an audiogeek that is independantly wealthy. So, for us regular folks that like music and enjoy movies at home, Aperion has built a suprior product for us we can afford. Plus they are really nice too!

Purchased At:   Website

Submitted by blackpug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for quite awhile for a small decent sounding speaker for mounting on the wall for use in a hometheater setup. After countless trips to the stereo stores and not finding anything that I liked in the size needed, I decided to give Aperion a try after all the reviews and posting that I have read about them. Figured I had nothing to lose in the deal.
To say the least, I was very pleasantly surprised with what showed up. I ordered a pair of the 522's in cherry and was extreamly impressed with units. Extreamly solid, great binding posts, but there were issues with a light band in the finish on both speakers. Hooked them up to the B channel to do a comparison to the existing LR that I'm using (Canton D Plus). I could not believe the sound quality. They were not quite as bright as the Cantons (but always thought they were alittle over the top anyway) but the detail and seperation of these speakers just amazed me. Mind you, there are limitations due to the size of the units but absolutely incredible. Never really listened to music on the system before with the Cantons due to not really being happy with sound from those, but have found myself brining cd's in from the truck to listen to and they are amazing- I'm hearing detail that I did not even know about before on them. Sound great with both acoustic, male, or female vocals Alanis Moriessete sounds great on them (not bad looking either LOL) or putting some BLS on them. They are alittle lacking on the lower end but what do you expect from such a small speaker - using an HSU sub which fills them out nicely.
Moving on to home theater, these speakers offer a great presence and soundfield. It's like watching these movies for the first time, now if I only had the time to sit down to watch them all (LOL).
Regarding the finish issue, after contacting Aperion regarding this I was responded back to by email and phone. They had a replace unit in the mail the next day and the finish on that unit was perfect (just think it was an isolated incident with the first pair).
Overall, I personally feel that these speakers are an excellent value and would highly recommend them to anyone. Planning on purchasing a center channel to match - I was told that they are coming out with a larger center channel in the next week or two involving an active and passive driver and the same 1" tweeter - planning on getting one and will post a review after I receive it.

Purchased At:   Aperion website

Submitted by minnesotasteve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great little bookshelf speakers! Purchased the cherry veneer speakers online from the manufacturer. Very high quality sound!! They sound great in 2 channel mode, and work well as front (main) channel speakers....blend in well with my HSU VTF-2 subwoofer. Using standard speaker wire (14 gauge), no problem! Great company and excellent value!! Get these if you want a natural, open sound!!

Purchased At:   aperion audio

Submitted by Phil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
After much research I bought the Aperion(Edge) Audio 5.1 speaker set up with the 12" sub to be powered by a Yamaha RVX1000 A/V amp. Input is from a Sony NS999ES DVD player. Since the RVX1000 has an unpowered 6.1 rear center output, I soon added a sixth Aperion satellite powered by an old Marantz amp of the same rating the other channels. The room size is 16X21, and it is super insulated and sound controlled.

I've read several magazine reviews that lead one to believe these speakers are the best thing going; better than speakers costing many times as much. They aren't. But they are great for anywhere near the price. They lack some high end definition and low bass, but they are wonderfully optimized for the sound ranges typical of movies.

I also have a traditional stereo with much higher end speakers and electronics, and the Aperions compare well in many respects. The 6.1 set up images well with smooth transitions as sounds cross the stage. Speaker placement is all but invisible. The powered subwooker is so strong that I usually leave it on the lowest audible setting, or the audience can't take it.

The Aperions are easy on the ears, resulting in no listener fatigue after hours of use. The Sony NS999ES allows user selection of dynamic range to adjust for source material. The Aperions track this dead-on, which is something of a feat. If I bought a new system today, I would still buy the Aperions.