Acoustic Research AR15 Bookshelf Speakers

4.2/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

2-way Bookshelf Speaker

Submitted by AudioGym a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought my AR15s from Pacific Stereo in 1979, for 175.14 for the pair - on sale.

Best speakers I ever purchased.

The woofers do need to be replaced every decade or so as the surround decays from ozone.

It is hard finding the proper AR replacement speakers and I don't see them listed any more. I never had any problem with the tweeter.

These give a clean, flat sound accross the bandwidth of 60hz to 20K. Over the years I have loss in hearing so I am not so sure as to the highs anymore. They do project a pretty good bass, considering they are using just use 8" woofers.

I listen to jazz, clasical as well as movie soundtracks on occasion.

They do require at least 100Ws to drive them.

Submitted by mjtab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
A hidden gem with a sweet and peppy sound for a miniscule $500msrp.

Clear, articulate, and dynamic without a hint of harshness or edginess.
Soundstage presentation is big, wide, deep and airy.
Deep tuneful bass out of such a small enclosure. It sounds wounderful w/o a subwoofer for a music only system. It also integrates easily w/ a subwoofer for movie soundtracks.
Build quality is stout and weighty using the highest quality components for its small asking price. How about high quality crossover parts, magnesium bass driver, and diamond titanium tweeter.

How did Acoustic Research over all this value in a small monitor. They surely punch above its price in sound quality and build quality. Too bad AR fell on hard times and the company went under after almost 50 years, because I think they hit the mark on these babies.

I'm enjoying these speakers in a simple 2-channel home theater mated w/ a 80 wpc Denon stereo receiver, adding a subwoofer for watching movies. But I have also tried them w/ my AES tube amp in a music only system w/ superb results, in fact they sound pretty spectacular driven by a tube amp.

Highly recommended for its price IMHO.

Submitted by mjcmt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is a hidden gem in audio land. Those that know about these speakers sing its praises. It was a special find for me, and I'm surprised they have an asking price of only $500.
The sound: Very articulate and clear yet with a warm presentation, surprisingly deep bass for a small enclosure, very musical and peppy w/ excellent pace, rhythm and timing.
The build: High quality, stout and weighty.
Overall I'd say it has sound quality and build quality that punches above its modest price.

Submitted by nubi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I biamped the 15s recently and have forgone the preamp- connected the amps directly to the cdp (Marantz 6000-OSE) for what I think is exceptional sound quality. I am even happy with the level of bass response. I don't have an incredible amount of experience with audio equipment but I have experimented enough to realize that one component's sound quality is very much dependent on everything else in the connection chain. I believe a term to describe this is synergy. So even if I do own a pair of speakers that cost less than $250 that don't have the sex appeal of more esoteric "audiophile" brands, I think I've done something that has helped to create a performance going beyond what the AR15s level of performance is alleged to be. They handle complex material rather well and can play very loud without distorting. I also own a pair of the 17s and they sound good too.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Luke a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I posted a good review of these speakers previously. I take it back! They sounded good at first- I've used these for a year now, only at moderate listening levels, and with a good amp. Oh man, these things are completely dead. They sound like the speakers on my freakin' TV. I did some simple tests (I'm a recording engineer, and have lots of that type of stuff) and they're nowhere close to the manufacturer's specified frequency response anymore. The tweeters still sound the same (I never liked them in the first place) but oh MAN there is no low end at all! These speakers were treated well, and have not at all stood the test of time.

Purchased At:   Shopper's Advantage