Acoustic Research AR PS2062 Bookshelf Speakers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $199.95

Performance Series Bookshelf Speakers Bass-reflex design, frequency response 45-20

Submitted by mvwine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers thinking I was bidding on the "giant killer" Michachuara M55's. But these definitely bested the Advent Legacies I had been using for many years, so I kept them. As others have pointed out, the bass response of these diminutive speakers is impressive, but these are not just "bass-lovers" speakers. Their midrange is warm and true, and the highs are never fatiguing.

As a matter of fact, they seemed rather "rolled off" at the top end, untilI replaced my cheap interconnects with a decent pair (Zu Discos). Voila! the high end was there all along. Really a good speaker.

I have used Magnepan, Advent and many "Mid-fi" speakers in the past, as well as extensively auditioning Acoustat, Vandersteen, 80's era Infinity, Boston Acoustics, etc. These little speakers are VERY surprising for the size and money.

Two points: First, you really need to remove the grill covers to get the most out of these speakers. Also, I replaced the everyday, run of the mill electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers with Dayton Metallized Polypropylene and film & foils, making sure I didn't change the total capacitance of each by more than 5%. Wow! Much more refined top end. I would say these speakers sound better to me now than the B&W 601S2 or 602S2 that I auditioned (which were too bright, I felt). You don't have to replace the capacitors to enjoy these speakers, but they will definitely benefit from it.

All in all an excellent value.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by PremierOnly4 Me a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers have an amazing low end reproduction, in fact I would classify them as being somewhat excessive in the lower ranges! Maybe a little boomy in the 100Hz range, but that was fixed by turning the bass level on my Onkyo Integra TX-DS838 receiver ALMOST ALL the way down! Excellent high end, maybe a little thin in the Mid-range/Mid-bass, but that's also from having to turn the bass down so far. An excellent speaker no matter what you pay for it.

Purchased At:   King's Great Buys Pl

Submitted by pohsibnella a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Was wanting a speaker upgrade for my 70's amp I'm running a DVD through. Wow. The speakers are solid and look very nice in the living room. The AR 2062's have great bass for their size/price and have a really warm mid/high range. I would highly recomend these for front or main speakers for a small room.

Submitted by darrinps a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the money, I think that you would be hard pressed to find a better speaker for a home theater setup with these as either your front L&R or rear channels (probably overkill for rears but...).

The guys are bigger than they looked on the web site, and I suppose that is one reason why they have so much low end (things really thump, and when combined with an AR S108 sub...BOOM).

The highs aren't bad either and were quite an improvement over the Bose bookshelf speakers they replaced.

The speaker itself looks very nice (with or without the front grill) and seems to be very well made.

In short, I really like these speakers for the small amount of money I paid ($130/pair).

Purchased At:   Online (can't recall

Submitted by vntg59 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a steal for the price I paid for them(was 74$ a pair with shipping).Very similar or identical to the S20 avaliable in Europe,6 1/2" woofer and a silk dome tweeter, good, solid cabinet work, gold plated binding posts, rear ported, needs a good heavy stand. First of all I was impressed with the quantity and quality of bass...it delivered more and better than the existing KLH floorstanders. And not speaking of treble and midrange purity, naturalness. A real surprise. It may not be top of the line, I use them in a secondary system, but they work fine with brand name electronics(a Technics receiver)giving them a hint of audiophile quality revealing however their weaknesses. Need about a week to break in.

Purchased At:   uBid