Tara Labs Prism Biwire

Submitted by Vincent Chin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
After using this cables for about three months, I'm very satisfied with its performance.I used it to add a little more smoothness and refinement to my Monitor Audio Silver 4i Speakers and NAD 216THX power Amplifier. What I'm saying is my overall system tends to be a little bright in the trebles and harsh in the midrange. Thus, the Tara Labs Prism Bi-Wire cables not only enhances the performance of my systems, it serves as also a tone contol element in the systems. Results are a more coherent and involving sound , clear vocals, sweet and smooth with a little warm in the mids and the brightness in the highs disapeared. You need to fine tune your system especially in the Midrange. If your Mids are screwed up, your whole system are screwed.

Purchased At:   Alpha Electronics - S'pore

Submitted by Mark B a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was in the market for an upgrade from my Monster crap (I am in a real negative mode with this brand at present). My local dealer rec'd these and gave me a killer deal (40 feet terminated and jacketed). These were immediately impressive in the home theatre set up. I did not biwire them but had them doubled up to my Paradigm Moniters. This is an excellent speaker wire. I did move them for a test run against my TMC gold reference cables on the hi end system and they were not of the same caliber. These are a super buy for the sub reference system and can't be beat for a good home theatre system.

Purchased At:   Hifi Buys

Submitted by Joe Strain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Been useing the Kimber for about a year. My intent was to improve the vocals, piano, and decay, qualities I had heard at the audio store. The Tara's did just that, but added a silkiness, almost a non-presence to the sound too. The Kimbers are decent, but these are much better. They opened up the sound, and the decay or echo on some tracks that was nice, is now very strong. The sound engages me more than other, I get lost in the music, not in listening to the music.

The dialogue in movies improved quite a bit, a definite advantage. Foley effects are more pronounced, etc.

Still, I hear increased boominess in the bass (guitar, mostly) that I didn't have before. Just more audible? Probably. And probably the room and pre-amp are the new weak link.

(My rack holds an Adcom 150w thx amp, Adcom 750 cd changer, Rotel pre-pro, soon to become Classe SSP-30, I believe, a Toshiba 5109 DVD player, and Kimber Hero connects. JM Lab Cobalt series speaks make it all happen.)

The difference in wire price, about $6.00/lf, is definitely worth while.

Purchased At:   Audio Insights

Submitted by David V a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
My system consists of a Denon AVR-2800 Receiver ($650), Acoustic Research AR9 Towers ($700), Toshiba SD-2200 DVD ($220), Sony 5 disc CD player and Tara Labs Prism Biwire wire – most of which I’ve owned and used for about one year. I also have a JBL center and AR surrounds. This system replaced a Sony pro-logic based system that I used for 5 years. My main objective for my new system was primarily for music listening and secondarily for HT. Good amplification (not super-expensive) was my primary technical consideration. My music taste varies between alternative rock to well-recorded jazz and occasional strays into other semi-popular genres (I do not listen to classical although I suspect that I will begin to appreciate it more as I reach seniority). I feel that musical taste has a major impact on audio system ratings.

I read reviews on this site for about three months and auditioned several receivers and speakers during that time at local audio stores. I used audioreview to narrow my choice of receivers down to the Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo – all priced about the same. I also considered separates, but after considering price/performance ratios and the kilowatts consumed by big amps, I decided to search for a good integrated amp that wont blow a hole in the wallet.

Honestly, I think any one of the above mentioned receivers would have done a good job of fulfilling my expectations. I chose the Denon because I did not read any major weaknesses outside of the manual and remote (who cares about that anyway) and since my motivation was music listening, neither of those were going to have a negative impact. Also, the price was right (about $650 at BrandsMart USA).

Front, main speaker auditioning proved to be the most interesting aspect of my purchasing research experience. I wanted towers (they tend to use bigger drivers which move more air and have more punch) so I began by listening to B&W’s and Klipsh (if you want to hear a real difference in speakers, this comparison is a great place to start). The B&W’s were nice, warm and neutral sounding while the Klipsh were louder and had a very strong mid-range (great for rock fans). Neither speaker thrilled me - again, it really has to do with taste. The B&W’s sounded a little muddy when played loud and I guessed I would suffer extended listening fatigued from using the Klipsh (my listening room is approx 15 feet wide by 25 long, with high ceilings and carpeted floor - not bad, but I would prefer a wider orientation with the front speakers). Then I listenened to NHT’s - they were by far, superior to my ears (my favorite test CD is anything from Dave Matthews Band). Unfortunately, the NHT’s were beyond my budget ($1,100+) and I didn’t care for the glossy black finish and angular styling (Yuck! The wife would not be pleased!).

Then I serendipitously stumbled upon the Acoustic Research AR Towers. Wow! Very impressive bottom, musical and efficient. What I enjoy the most is the clarity of these speakers coupled with good punch and efficiency. Although these speakers are very efficient they are not fatiguing. I think AR does this by tweaking the frequency response in certain mid-frequencies (400-500 Hz) – you can pseudo-verify this using a good, frequency test CD and a sound level meter, tested outside to eliminate room effects. If there is one draw back to these speakers is that the side-firing woofers need plenty of power (mid-volume+) to get them going (I suppose I may need a sub, a separate amp to drive the woofers or a better room to exploit the bottom end better). However, this apparent weakness only occurs at low volumes (heck, it could be my hearing!?). I welcome suggestions other than the obvious “get a sub dude”. I wired these using the Prism Biwires. My next upgrade is a CD player to replace my current 6 year-old Sony 5 disc. I’m looking forward to more research and auditioning.

Overall, I’m very stoked on my system. I recently played an IMAX documentary named “The Magic of Flight” which is a DTS based film based around the Blue Angels. I was nearly startled out of my seat during one take-off scene…I thought the windows in my room were going to explode!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for price/performance ratio oriented audio enthusiasts!

Submitted by CF a

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great sounding cable for the price. Purchased 12' pair for $170.00. This cable was a definite improvement over Monster Cable and Kimber 4VT. Well worth the investment.

Purchased At:   Axiom Audio