Nordost SPM interconnect

Submitted by Ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Sorry people but this is just cable and not even properly constructed and shielded at that. You could make better cable for under USD50 with 50 Ohm coax and quality clamping RCA plugs and hear everything that you need to hear. If you think you are hearing better highs and deeper lows or whatever, I suggest that you are imagining things favourably due to the absurd amount of money that you just wasted. Apart from interference rejection (that this junk would clearly fail at), any signal degradation comparisons between well constructed consumer audio cables are manifest only above around 150kHz which is 10 time higher than you can hear!

Submitted by markc2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I really didn't expect what happened to happen. I expected more treble extension and more bass, what I got was a warmer sound from my system. Well maybe not warm but more midrange, Electric guitars just had more meat on them, and that was not what I expected.

The slight edge that I thought was coming from my CD source, gone.

What I associate with natural sounding music, right there.

Bass, but not BASS, but bass presence that I did not have before. There.

I expected speed and detail, and that was it. I feel like I got that and more.

For the price on the used market, these are an easy choice. In fact I liked them better than the Frey, not much, but the SPM in my system to me brought out more midrange, a kind of lushness, and no more "bite" on the top end.

Submitted by Peter Barclay a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have been listening to this cable for over a month. I must say I am not at all impressed with it. The treble is too bright, the bass is somewhat loose, and voices while not all that bad they do have a slight sound quality as though someone is singing in a barrel- just enough to destroy any sence of realisim. Also, it seemed a touch sluggish in reproducing transients. I listened to fhis along with several others by Kimber, Synergestic Research, Kimber, Audioquest, Siltech and LAT International. All were in similar price range as the SPM Reference except the LAT International which sells for well under 400.00 at their web site. In fact I was not really impressed with any of them with the exception of the LAT International IC-300 Signature which was far superior than all of the rest of them. For an interconnect in the price range of 1000.00, plus or minus a couple of hunderd dollars, I expected far more performance than the SPM Reference and the others in that price range provided.

Purchased At:   A dealer in New York

Submitted by zeblion1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am currently using all blue heavens cabling. I went to CES and the guy from Nordost demo me the SPM and the Vahallas. From my past experience, going from middle of the road cable from X company compared to their top of the line will achieve subbtle diference. But it is not the case with Nordsot, They played it for me, and I was impressed. THERE IS a big diffrence between my blue heaven (although I like my cable very much) to SPM and Vahallas.

Most cables company that I've seen before at the show, they only have their products in the showcase. NONE of them will actually do demo, from one cable to another cable. They only can said it on the brochure etc, none of them is trying to give you a proven demo.

Nordost is the only cable that I will use and the one that I will spend my money on, if all the assosiated components match with the speed of the Nordost

Submitted by JJFXC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Nordost's SPM Interconnects are amazing. I added two pairs to my system as an upgrade from my two year old Blue Heavens. There is much more speed, detail and punch. I'd say that my system was very neutral sounding prior to adding the SPMs but now some music raises goosebumps.

I bought mine from the classified section of Audiogon, in two separate purchases from two gentlemen who were upgrading to Valhallas. List priced at $1100 per meter with RCAs, these were purchased for $520. and $625.; a relative bargain.

I had not auditioned them but did compare the Red Dawns (RD) when I purchaed the Blue Heavens (BH). Knowing that the SPM had been given good reviews generally and that the Nordost people make a fine product, a jump up the product line was not a concern. If I had more funds at the time, I might have gone for the RDs but buying all the electronics left me unable to spring for the more costly cables. The RDs were clearly slight improvement over the BHs.

My system consists of the Meridian 508.24, CJPremier11A, Heart Control tube pre-amp and Epos es22 speakers with Linn tri-wiring.

I ran over some of my favorite recordings when the SPMs were installed. "Ol'Man River" on The Concert Sinatra went really, really deep. Phil Woods' "Musique du Bois" sounded better than ever - you could really hear his alto reed sputter and quake when lightly blown. Gordon Haskell's "Look Out" sounded like a veil had been lifted and the instruments present in the room. Howdy music like "Black Light Syndrome" from Levin, Stevens and Bozzio really gets hugely dynamic and ballsy.

These cables are a revelation. Maybe in a few years, used Valhallas will come on the used market?

Purchased At:   Audiogon