Nordost Solar Wind Interconnect
Description: ultra-low capacitance flatline interconnect cables

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am very fond of Nordost cables. I was in my quest for an interconnect cable for my home theater which consist of:

Speakers: Martin Logan Theater I (center), Martin Logan Ascent (Mains), and Martin Logan Scenario (rear) Sub: Infinity HPS 1000 watts

Processor: Rotel RSP 1066
Amplifier: ATI 2007
DAC: Musical Fidelity Upsampling DAC
CD/DVD: Pioneer Elite DV-C36

I am a tweak –a-holic when it comes to audio and home theater. Prior to this interconnect, I have used Straightwire Level 2 Chorus and Monster M-series. Straightwires are good cables based on my experience partnered with my electronics. However, after few months of service, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I have never tried Nordost products so I decided to audition them. In the first few days living with the Nordost Solar Wind, I noticed that the sound was good but a little lacking. After about 80 hours of use, my opinion had changed. The soundstage opened up and the subtlety became apparent. The details that I am looking for where presented in a smooth fashion all of a sudden. The bass of my Martin Logan Ascents were now tight, clean and accurate. The voice of Nora Jones, SADE, and Diana Krall became very clear and natural. The sound coming out of my speakers became non-fatiguing and entertaining. Now, I can locate instruments in the soundstage with accuracy. There sound is airy and it really makes the singer come alive. At times, when I listen to my Doors CD, the effect is just fascinating. There is also improved reverberation in the presentation of guitars and other musical instruments. I was so delighted with these interconnects that I decided to buy 4 additional pairs to power up my ATI 2007 7 channel amplifier and for my Musical Fidelity A324 DAC. The Martin Logan Ascents are very revealing speakers with cables and components and what I heard is just pleasing. I became a fan of Nordost now so I am upgrading my digital interconnects, power cords and even thinking of maybe buying either Nordost Red Dawn or Blue Heaven. Overall, very smooth, detail and natural sounding cable. A very good cable indeed.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
All of the following opinions are based on my system and your mileage may vary.
For comparison purposes, my system consists of the following:
Rotel RCD 991 cd player, Lexicon DC-1 v.4,
Rotel 1075 5-channel amp and 4 Energy C-4 for mains/surrounds, Mirage MC2 center channel and a Mirage FRX-s12 sub.I have Blue Heavens between the 991 and the DC1 and use the Solar Winds between the Lexicon and the 1075. I use Audioquest F14 speaker wire to all speakers.
I feel this is a good cable for the price.
There is a noticeable improvement in soundstage and detail over my old Nordost Black Knight's. The bass is well defined without being muddy or boomy. Mids and highs are smooth and fairly neutral in my system. These I/C's are great for my system but if your system tends to be bright, there is a good possibility that listener fatigue could be the result. These interconnects might be a little light on bass if running speakers full range without a sub. With a sub, I have no complaints.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Aleko a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
This cable has open soundstage, clear mids and highs and tight bass but it sounds thin and the body
of the music is missing. I can see that some reviewers compare it to Blue Heaven but I doubt that these two are comparable.

Purchased At:   bulgariam dealer

Submitted by Thanavit a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Compare to Homegrown which has the same sound style,I think my Nordost is better than homegrown .Homegrown is too quick but it has better trable.Anyway,I like my nordost
This is very good cable.If you doesn't care about electronic sound,This cable is your choice.

Submitted by Joe whitfield a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Bottom Line:

In my system, the cables i currently have are the Cable talk Monitor 2 interconnect, and Nordost Solar Wind Speaker cable.

I wanted to try the solar wind interconnect to see how it compliments the speaker cable. I also listened to the Van Den Hul, as its had so many rave reviews.

After first impressions, I was keen on the Van Den hul, Bass was very extended, and the sound was full bodied. When hooking up the Norsdost, I was thinking "well whats the difference in sound from my cable talk?" However, after a few days listening, the cable has seriously grown on me.

Bass, is more extended, and the midrange is very fluid and musical sounding. The three dimensional soundstage is very lifelike, while voices are clearly projected into the room.

If I had to describe the overall sound, I would say its a delicate, and very fine/civilised sound. Its certainly not a cable that ruthless in any one area. It does however, draws you into the music.

Some may say that the cable does not have strong enough bass, but I found it to be ample enough. The only criticism (if you can call it one) is that bass drums can somtimes sound a bit light. But you must ask yourself, is this the cable or the record? The cable is so neutral sounding its hard to decide.

Anyone after a very clean, and life like sound this is your cable. Recommended.

Purchased At:   Borrowed from Custom cable