Music Metre Canto
Description: Interconnect

Submitted by Joseph Restivo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have been using the Music Metre Silvers (2 sets) for many years now. I wondered if people were still interested in this cable since I don't think it is still available. I don't remember when I purchased them but I think they were $400 apiece for 1 meter runs. They have become a mainstay and a reference in my system. Believe-you-me, I have tried many interconnects in the 15 to 20 years since I have owned these cables, and the Music Metre Silvers were never bested. From a logistics point of view, I am not crazy about the locking RCA connectors as they are bulky. I think they are BTC connectors which were all the rage back then. In any case I have seen speakers, amplifiers, DAC's, turntables, tubes, capacitors, digital cables, and speaker cables come and go, but my Music Metre Silvers remain. Do you remember the few audiophile accidents, where you just managed to buy the right component that continue to stand the test of time. Well these cables and my trusty ( and still gorgeous sounding ) Quicksilver preamplifer fall into this category. In these cases I have no compunction to upgrade. What more can be said.......

Submitted by nosaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
Excellent reference cable. I have used many cables costing much more with poorer results.

This cable is open, dynamic, neutral and balanced. If your system has flaws, this cable will not hide them.

Highly recommended.

Submitted by bellsebren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
In my system, I found this cable very disapointing. I found the treble to be exggerated, whereas the bass was very thin indeed. The midrange was grainy. It did not live up to its name; it was not musical, it did not sing (ie., Canto);however, it was a meter. The cable has some detail in the treble but not much else. I did notice some added depth and width in the soundstage, but the lack of musciality negated this benefit. I can't think of a worse buy for the money.

Purchased At:   Music Metre

Submitted by Simon Youl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my experience with the Music Metre Canto interconnect.

I’m a believer in cabling. I’ve heard day and night changes in the same set-up with different brands of cable. I came to Music Metre via their digital Fidelus wire - and was so impressed that I came back for more.

Many big ( and sometimes very expensive ) brands boast an ‘open window’ effect with their products – a claim which in my experience is rarely fulfilled. Music Metre does it for me – and without paying barking-mad prices! Reading one or two of the negative comments made here, I fail to understand by what standards those people are judging. I hear nimble, beautifully judged lows, passionate and open mids and laid-back ( non-fatiguing ), sweet and rounded treble.

In these days when the hi-fi industry’s main objective often seems to be to confuse the punter with a bewildering array ofoptions – and spiralling prices – these Music Metre products are a refreshing fix for anyone whose aim is to enhance their enjoyment of music.

Oh, and the designer himself is a no-hype, no-bull cottage industry who I am proud to endorse.

Cheers All.

Purchased At:   Music Metre website

Submitted by pragmatism a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
After thirty years in this hobby, I have owned my share of equipment, and cables -- at a range of price points, from the reasonable to the ridiculous. After years of owning Tara, then Baton and finally Mapleshade, I was moved to try Music Metre again, having at one time several years ago owned both a pair of Signature interconnects and Speaker cables. I am now hooked completely on Music Metre. I own two pairs each of the MM Silver and MM Canto, one Fidelius digital interconnect and most recently, the new Signature II Speaker Cable. All of Jim Patric's cables share a few family properties. And these are properties that are so central to musical enjoyment that I would enthusiatically recommend some or other combination of MM cabling to anyone who care about the sound of music. These attributes include the wonderful mixture of openness, transparency and harmonic detail. Beyond that, every cable in the line has a top to bottom coherence that cannot be bettered. I am not sure it can even be equalled. None of the cables calls attention to itself, but one is aware of the plethora of information when listening through the silvers. The Canto, in comparison, seems a bit more relaxed and unprepossessing. Music sounds natural and real through all of these cables. The Canto have wider compatibility. You can use it with any kind of equipment to good effect. I have found the silver to work best with tube equipment. I had been incredibly happy with the mixtue of silver and Canto cabling in my system even when employing the very fine, and nicely priced Mapleshade double-helix speaker cable. Recently I added the Signature II speaker cables from Music Metre to the mix, and the result was striking. The bottom end weight improved; the music was represented as natural and open and fast, but became more full bodied and weighty. The soundstage expanded and the overall effect was of being enveloped by the music. I have expensive Audio Note equipment, and others would likely be inclined to look for equally expensive cabling to bring out the best in the AN electronics. Natural, but not necessary. The MM cables are not only comfortable in asystems of any price; they in fact improve those systems and do so at a price point that is unbelievably good for what you get: great design, professional construction, and extraordinary customer service.