CANARE GS-6
Description: Interconnect

Submitted by masstar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
As a follow up to my previous review...

A fellow Audioreview member suggested I run some tests to substantiate what I heard with these new wires...The test is the tape/monitor jumper test - of a cable versus no cable.

As it turns out, I discovered a faulty wire in my system that may have attributed to much of the sound "improvements' I heard when it was replaced. All the other wires sounded very close the same (transparent) as far as I could tell.

Sooo, the improvements in my system are probably more attributable to simply replacing old wires with new ones, rather than the 'musical" integrity of L-5CFB. What I can say about L-5CFB is that it is absolutely neutral to music as far as I can tell, and that’s good right?

In the end I’m back on the fence and playing it down the middle. My system is sounding great and that may be in part due to L-5CFB, or it may be that all wires are the same. I don’t have the time or the expertise or even the desire to know. If wires do make a difference then L-5CFB should be as good as almost anything out there…and if they’re all the same then I only paid a nominal amount to wire my system with some nice looking wires that Im proud of having made myself.

Sorry I can’t be more concrete in my review…the great cable debate goes on I guess. But not for me, I’m done with it. And happy to be out!

Submitted by masstar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is really for the Canare “System”, but to be specific, I used their L-5CFB coax wire and 75-ohm RCA crimp plugs. (L-5CFB is similar to GS-6 but with a solid core and lower capacitance.)

This whole thing started as a desire to upgrade to a surround system and take advantage of the new DTS music DVDs that have been more available recently. In case you don’t know what this is, it’s a re-mastering of albums from the studio tapes in 5.1 surround…rather than 2-channel stereo. Cool stuff. So this was no small undertaking…I had to get an additional amp, a new DTS decoder, speakers, a better DVD player, and of course…new wire.

I have never been a believer in wire, but I couldn’t put that out-of-the-box stuff on my system, so I paid for the basic upgrades, some monster cable - or in the case of my main-to-pre-amp connection…some Tara Labs Prism 22. Not top of the line stuff, just enough to do the job I always thought…the rest is just hype right?

So this time I decided I wasn’t going to shell out to the retailers for wire…If you want it done right do it yourself – and it was a fun project. I didn’t expect my system to sound any better really, just thought id make some new wire, and while I was at it…replace the old stuff.

I researched the hell out of it on the net…what makes good wire? Where can I get some at wholesale prices? How can I do it myself with the least amount of hassle? I chose the Canare no-solder RCA end links (which maintains 75 ohms unlike soldered plugs) and their L-5CFB wire (for its foil, foam and braided copper shielding, low capacitance, and 18 AWG core. I bought all the stuff, including some aesthetic stuff like shrink wrap and rubber boots, and took it all home and went to work. Took about 3 hours to make 9 cables.

I was going to wait and hook it all up with my new surround stuff but thought id just replace the CD-Preamp-Amp wires first and see if I could tell the difference…I didn’t expect to, and was a little worried that it might sound worse. This is getting long so Ill try to finish up…It was WAY better! I had always been suspicious that my system was under-performing and chalked it up to the room, bad recordings etc. It was the WIRE. Lows, mids, and highs - across the board it was much cleaner and more detailed…no more tinny highs, much tighter base, easier vocals. I was actually shocked - and mad that I had been listening to that muddied crap all these years.

Thanks to Blue Jeans Cable for many of the ideas and advice, and to whoever it was that took the time to post this killer DIY. -

This cable system is a giant killer! Well, from my limited perspective anyway.

Marantz AV-600 pre-amp
Canare L-5CFB interconnects!

Purchased At:   Pacific Radio - pacr

Submitted by Bearenzo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this GS6 interconnect for 10 years and I'm still using it.And I bought a lots of other interconnects during the time but no one can provide me as natural sound as GS6. If you just wanna sit down and enjoy the music and forget about buying new equipment. this is it.

Submitted by Bonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
After purchasing my new DVD player, I needed interconnects to hook up for DVD audio. As I required 4 sets of RCA's, anything descent would have cost almost as much as my DVD player itself. I surfed the net and explored the option of building my own cables and found that most of the cost of cables is from the labor work. I went down to the local electronics store and was recommended these cables and rca plugs.

As I have not used other high name brand cables, I can surely say there is a noticable improvement in sound quality...can't say lots. But, there is slightly more detail and dynamic range compared to the cheap interconnects that came free with the DVD player.

The benefits of constructing your own cable is that you know exactly what parts went into it.

I'm definetely happy about building my own cables as something similar on the market would easily be 2x/3x the price

Purchased At:   commercial electroni

Submitted by John T. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This has a very thick lead wire, and it carries bass like nobody's business. I replaced all my subwoofer cable with this and am extremely pleased with the results. I wouldn't recommend this for regular audio, just subwoofer use. (Try the StraightWire Chorus - the best affordable cable out there.) I also use this cable for my bass-producing equipment in my recording studio and keyboard rig - works great!

Purchased At:   Markertek