AudioQuest King Cobra
Description: King Cobra Interconnect Pair <LI> Three solid Perfect Surface Copper+ (PSC+) conductors <LI> 3 x 21 awg conductors <LI> Triple-balanced construction <LI> 100% coverage shield <LI> PE air tubes dielectric <li> RCA or XLR connectors

Submitted by Michael j. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
Pay $110 , Compared. These to coincident cst ic ?
The sound less. Just. A bit less air to the coincident cst ic
But. The coincident cst cost $295 a pair .
But sounded almost the same , very clean and relax
I think it's need more break in perhaps another 48 hrs .
I guess. I get. What I pay for. On the other side
On xlr. For my. Hometheater use, it's. Great !
Couldn't be happier !
Just try it out for yourself ...

Submitted by Wen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
For the price, this cable does well but it's overall still veiled, like listening behind a thick curtain or at the back of the hall. There's little involvement and it misses out the deep ranges of the bass. The treble performs well, as does the midrange.

I got what I paid for but I will be replacing these in the near future.

Submitted by Andrew a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love this cable. Open with great definition,awesome low end and no fatigue. Give them a try! The sound of my system is just so liquid and highly detailed.Big up to Bill from audioquest...

Submitted by positivefiction a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of the King Cobras in the hopes that they would replicate the magic of my favorite interconnects, the Audioquest Emerald, in a different application.

In short, they do, and don't.

In descriptive...

The Emeralds are very balanced from top to bottom, with a pleasing balance and just the right amount of midrange weight that makes music sound downright seductive. The shortcomings, which I notice on rock, is that they are on the polite side of rhythmic attack, and their staging, while good, isn't the best I've heard.

The King Cobras, at first, sounded good, but a bit hollow. They had good bass, and a sparkling treble that never got harsh or tinny or anything else that takes away from just serving detail up, and they served it up very kindly. But, the midrange seemed hollow, as though someone pulled two edges of fabric, leaving the center thin, while the bass and treble were overemphasized.

So...I plugged the King Cobras into the preamp outs of my receiver into the HT inputs of my Classe Integrated, left them there for two weeks, then placed them into my CD player again. That two weeks, I had the Emeralds in that position, so now, broken in, I could give them a fair shake.

The detail was still there, but now the midrange was breathing and filled out nicely. It wasn't the same weighty midrange I'm used to with the Emeralds, but more transparent without sounding hollow or thin. Somehow, the bass managed to get even deeper, and the highs, which were already very good, relaxed even more. Overall, it was a similar presentation, if not as seductively weighty in the midrange, but it introduced one element the Emeralds do not have...rhythmic punch. It doesn't go over the top with this attack by grabbing you by the throat and making a point of it...all the gentle staging and harmoonic rightness of the Emeralds exists in the King Cobras, only trading a bit of euphonic midrange seductiveness for better transparency and bouncy rhythm.

The one thing that I'm most happy about with the King Cobras, listening to them as I write this, is they preserved the gentle presentation of fine detail I remember from older Audioquest models, without forcing it down your throat. Broken in, these cables came into their own, and while on certain songs, like jazz and vocals, I enjoy the more romantic sound of the Emeralds, the King Cobras added transparency and punch make up for it on rock and classical. Like moving forward a couple of rows, trading some of the ambiance of the hall but getting more transient attack and a touch more immediacy.

Are they perfect? Who or what is? But they have a home on my CD player, while he Emeralds will go to my music server, to help bring some romanticism and weight to my slightly analytical sounding computer rig.

Submitted by balloonknot32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
I think the AQ King Cobras are the best bang for the buck interconnects around. These cables are so good that my HT is full of them. I have 6 pairs in total along with a single subwoofer King Cobra. 5 King Cobras go to my Anthem MCA 50, 2 from my Sony SACD player, and 4 from my Pioneer CD recorder. The sound is so pleasant and open. I can listen for hours and not get fatigued or get a headache.

The King Cobra subwoofer cable has to be the best subwoofer cable I've heard PERIOD!!!!!! The bass that my M&K V-1250 puts out is just so tight and fast. The bass hits you in the chest. My old AQ Sidewinder subwoofer cable was ok but doesn't even come close to the King Cobra.

Anyone with a dedicated processor and amp shold demo the King Cobras. Fantastic cable.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics