Sansui 9090

Submitted by Rx7man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2016

Bottom Line:
I am going to be a little more critical of this receiver than most, but don't take that to mean it's garbage, it has it's place.

This thing absolutely rocks when it comes to power output, and very few units out there short of being mono blocks will compete.. It's a great party animal and the whole block will know of it's presence.

Sound quality? well, when I compare it with my 3 marantz units (1060, 2220, 2275) I have to say I prefer the Marantz sound, but it is still worlds better than most 90's era pieces of garbage... Technics, Yamaha, etc.

I will say the circuit design is inferior in terms of layout, a lot of jumper wires, and resistors, etc soldered to the underside of a board, disassembly is miserable, there are far too few connectors, everything is hardwired, and often to remove one component board you have to remove several, A little more time spent in the design of it could have drastically helped here. My unit was seriously abused, and it didn't hold up to it all that well, there's a number of corroded copper traces that I've had to repair, and there are some that look like they were repaired before I got to them, perhaps even from the factory, it's impossible for me to tell.

Submitted by Nick M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought mine appx 1 year ago, very much second hand. Serviced, but not restored. Has GOBS of power with my Klipsch Heresy 3 speakers. Very warm sound, GREAT low end and high end. I think it may color the sound a bit, but I prefer the sound to any of my other gear.

Submitted by Tracy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have a Sansui 9090 db that I've had since the1980's. It works great. But, I already have modern systems (Dolby 7.1) in my home. Anyone interested in buying one of these awesome receivers, shoot me an email.

tdhayes1@adelphia.net

Submitted by dbx820 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I picked up a very minty 9090 on Craigslist. This is a fantastic receiver. Warm and very powerful. I love the lights and the analog power meters. I have this in my man cave hooked up to some vintage JBL's and the sound is far superior to the the Parasound setup in my house. I would use this as a primary receiver in my house if it only had a remote volume control. I am in heaven in my man cave with a good cigar and whatever genre of music I desire to play from either my iPod or Onkyo SACD player. If you come across one--get it! You will not be disappointed and--hopefully like me--rediscover the nuances of music once again!

Submitted by jdtravel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
MY SANSUI 9090 HAS A CRACKLING SOUND NOW. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT TO DO? MY EMAIL IS JDTRAVEL@GMAIL.COM.