Nakamichi TA 4A

Submitted by Eric Leeds a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hi Everybody In Nakamichi Land!! June1989 HarveysElectronics At45THStreet N.Y.HiEndRoom,Saw,Heard,BoughtOne!!! OutStanding!!!Fell In LoveRight(A)Way!!! I Was A Pro Show Drumer Before I Got Sick with M.S!!!Not Very Nice!!!!24Years later It StillRocks!!!! I Listen Too It Almost EveryDay.CambridgeAudio Azur740C,APair Of EposM22i,&OneTA4A Nakamichi,NotTooBad!!! I had TroubleWhenTheBatteryDiedInTheF.M.Section&NeededToBe Replace.GoTo JeffGalinAtElectronicsServiceLabs, jeff@nakamichi.us.Jeff Replaced Battery&Serviceed,UpDatedTheElectronicsInTA4A.Its(A)KillerReciver!!! &ThatWas3YearsAgo!! KA-PALA!!(Ref:StarTrack.) CallMeEricAt 1.718.897.7160,I LikeToTalk!!!

Submitted by JORGE CADAVID a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
Saludos
quisiera saber si alguien me puede colaborar.
me regalaron un amplificador NAKAMICHI TA-4A, pero sin parlantes quisiera saber que parlantes se pueden utilizar y de q watts,no soy muy experto en el tema.
de antemano muchas gracias

Submitted by Dave Fox a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
When this receiver was first reviewed back in 1989, with it's Nelson Pass designed Stasis amplifier I considered it as an option to my Marantz 2500 but decided to save the bucks since some experts I knew told me it's 100wpc could not compare to the Marantz's 250wpc. They also said that Nakamichi had problems with the earlier SA line and they may not be as reliable as my then 10 year old Marantz had been. 15 years later I picked one up off of Ebay and was amazed at just how wrong those experts were about the Nakamichi. While it can't produce the kind of gut wrenching volume of the Marantz, the sound was so much more open and transparent that I didn't care. As far as power goes, it has plenty of dynamic power for any normal home listening without any sign of clipping even when turned all the way up. It's almost tubelike. Even at nearly twenty years of age this receiver is still perfectly quiet and clean with none of the pot noise I would get from the Marantz between cleanings. Don't get me wrong, the 2500 is a great piece of gear and even though I got nearly $1500 for it on Ebay, I do wish I'd of kept it. But, the sonic superiority of this old Nakamichi is unquestionable. I have A/B compared it with a friends 105wpc Stereophile recommended B&K seprates system running alternately, my Von Schweikert "Vortex Screens" and a pair of freshly rebuilt Celestion SL6S's which are both fairly power thirsty speakers. Both of these speakers can throw a huge soundstage, especially the Screens, but need good electonics to perform their best. The TA 4A killed the B&K's in sweetnes and clarity, image and soundstage, along with a more dynamic and tight bottom end. The Screens are a large speaker rated flat down to 27Hz and the Nakamichi just sounded more solid and clean all the way down. Yes I wish it was packing 250wpc of Stasis amplification but in the realm of all in one units I can't imagine a better sounding buy at any price or power rating. Maybe the McIntosh 4100 receiver if you can find one but even then I doubt it and you will pay a lot more than $400. The Nakamichi TA 4A isn't a Threshold separates system but it might be close. It won't make your old Cerwin Vegas sound like Martin Logans but it will make any true high end speaker sound really good. The ony real weakness is the tuner. My Marantz had a amazing tuner section that outperformed everything else I ever owned including a Nikko Gamma. If you find a TA 4A in good condition, jump on it. You won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Tommy504 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Nakamichi TA4A is exceptional. I believe it is one of the finest solid-state components my ears have ever experienced. I was fortunate to hear my first TA4A through a set of TDL MONITORS!!
The hair stands up on my skin just thinking about it! The TDL Monitors could surely eat more than the TA4A could throw at them, but the Dynamics offered by mating those two was phenominal. Anyone could learn to appreciate the detail of music simply by listening to a cheap recording, then a quality recording through that set-up. The cheap recording comes across life-less and dull, while the TA4A eagerly sends the musical peaks into the air with plenty of overhead. Not to mention that the Monitors have awesome bass-extension. (Transmission-line speakers need I say more.)
That is truly he beauty of the TA4A, the overhead power waiting for your favorite recording! I would recommend this receiver to anybody who appreciates 2-channel stereo!!!

Purchased At:   From fellow Audiophi

Submitted by jviper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this used. What a great piece of audio gear. This thing ROCKS!!!!!!!!! At 100wpc it is a true power house receiver with a very clean, detailed, smooth and open preamp section. Very musical for a "receiver" that is 13-14 years old. Get one if you can find one.

Purchased At:   private