Kenwood AR-1090

Submitted by Davis Bacon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Biggest flaw is the remote control, it does control most of my other components but some functions are not available and I think they should be. I've tried the Sony 2000 remote control to eliminate some of my many remote controls without success. One button is used to cycle through your attached video components VCR, DVD, LD etc. which cannot be learned by MANY remote controls.

Audio amplification power seemed to be down as compared to my older amp with less wattage, 100 versus 150!

Audio quality was cleaner than my older amp

Lacks DTS capability and limits upgrade paths, IE DTS cd players and DVD...

Submitted by Paul Tillman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall a very affordable receiver for the wattage output and the features. I had a AV-1080 prior to this one and the upgrade was worth it. Easy to set up

Submitted by Stefan Finn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver since mid '98 and still throughly love it! It ROCKS. I am running a Sony DVP 500D DVD player,
a Pioneer Laserdisk player two VCRs, a JVC S-video and a Sony, a Sony mini disk recorder and a Sony CD player with inputs to spare! I have not had a moments worth of trouble from this unit. It has been rock solid! I run it at 1/3rd power and it is loud and clear (my wife complains at that level) but when she is not home I run it at 1/2 volume (50 db) on the display and it still sounds clear but is very loud. I LOVE IT! I am running Infinity RS5 as mains, a DCM KX Center 2, JBL control 5 rear and two Orion MTX3 10 inch subs in a bandpass box driven from a Carver Pro 100 amp bridged for serious THUMP. In the invasion scene in "Saving Private Ryan" at 40 Db it seriously sounds like they are in my living room, the bullets sound like I am going to be hit.
A friend of mine brought an spl meter over and it went to 105 db before I turned down the volume (for fear of a neighbor calling the police) at that point the display read 12 db. There were 12 clicks left on the dial! I paid $500
on close out at the GoodGuys with a three year extended warranty. hopefully this unit will be with me for years to come and as to the weaknesses I listed I have found a few places that for about 150.00 can upgrade them into the unit.

Submitted by Sam Anderson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have lived with this receiver since Feburary of 1998.

The good:
This reveiver can be had for bargin prices these days. Remember that this product was released in 97 so forget about DTS being included. BTW Who was even doing DTS in 97 ? This guy has 150 Watts x 5 (this measurement is at 1khz into 6 ohms). According to my sound pressure meter, I can generate over 100db in my theater with this receiver into Definitive Technologies BP8s, BP2Xs, a C1, and one PF15TL. It has 5 Video Inputs (2 of which have record outs Video 1 and 2) all with S-Video Connections. Three AC-3 Inputs (2 Coaxial, and 1 Toslink). Video-2 has the Toslink, Video's 3 and 4 have Coaxial inputs.

The Bad:
No Audio Digital Inputs or Outputs.

The tape-2 monitor, and loudness controls cannot be on with a AC-3 input. They cannot be controlled from the remote either. So if they are on and you want to watch a AC-3 source, you must walk up to the receiver and disable these controls. The Remote can be a pain to use. You have to press 2 keys to output a menu command to a RCA DSS receiver (One of the most common commands I use with DSS).
There is also no S-Video Output for Second-Room Video. It will not simulcast video on both composite and S-Video. It will not upconvert Composide to S-Video.

I like being able to do video switching. I have a dolby digital DSS receiver, a Toshiba DVD Player, a S-VHS recorder, a Tivo video server, and a PlayStation hooked up to this guy. I also like Kenwood's audio control system. I have all kenwood audio peices including one of their MD recorders, the 1070KE, a CD changer, and tape deck. Kenwood's CCRS system is great for making recordings, and the active audio input switches the receivers input.

Submitted by Joseph Buonomo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit refurbished for approx $450.00, so my views may not be the same as someone who purchased this unit new for over $1000!! The unit and the remote have operated flawlessly with great sound.

It is very flexible with lot of extras like a front panel s-video input for your camcorder and seperate source for a second room speakers.