Boltz CD-600
Description: 11 tiers of pure music storage. Holds an incredible 605 CDs while offering infinite horizontal expansion capability. Individual music dividers on each tier. Wall brackets included for added stability. Expandable. Stabilizer feet for self-standing applications are included and require minor assembly. 24"(W) x 68"(H) 6.5"(D) (Weight 40 lbs)

Submitted by Noah Bast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the CD600 with one expansion last year. It is awesome. Space efficient, and good looking. We put it and an MM252+ expansion on one wall of our apt. It hardly takes any floor space, and now we have expansion to last a few years. With the stabilizing brackets, the until is rock solid. Several firends have bought units for themselves after seeing ours. I can't recommend it enough.

Purchased At:   www.boltzusa.com

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I saw that Boltz was offering what they called a "factory second" CD600 on their website, I thought "what the hell?". They make it clear that all products are guaranteed.
It arrived yesterday. There are a few tiny nicks on one side, and that's all I can find. I wouldn't have complained even if I had spent the extra 50 bucks to get a first-quality item.
The rack is well-built and looks very nice.
My brother purchased a TV Stand a few months ago and loves it.

Purchased At:   boltz.com

Submitted by Markku Salonen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have ordered succesfully plentyfull of CDs online, but ordering item this expensive made me little nervous. The very communicative customer service cooled me down. Totally four emails, well done.

The rack itself is of awesome sturdiness with carefully detailing, and a finish to suit my taste and the interior of my living room.

Too bad, I cannot expand it, so the 12th shelf had been most welcome. I just have to archive odd CDs elsewhere, and that's MY problem.

Purchased At:   Boltz-usa.com

Submitted by Robert Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Excellent rack. I thought at first I paid to much, but once I received it, I was so impressed. What a deal. I am purchasing the expansion kit within the next 2 weeks. The customer service is the BEST I have ever had from any of my 1000+ purchases on the net. These people know what they are doing. Their product is almost as good as their customer service.

Purchased At:   boltz.com

Submitted by Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I first saw ads for these racks in Home Theater Magazine. I was looking for a high-capacity system that didn't take up too much space, and didn't cost a fortune.

I also own the Wood Technologies modular cabinet system which I bought thru the Crutchfield catalog. This is a good setup, and the system is versatile because of it's modular nature. I'm also using the Lorentz Design CUBEs which are very well made, but lack the versatility of the Wood Techs. These are both very nice systems made of wood and can blend very well with your living or listening/viewing rooms. But both hold only about 400 CDs or 100 VHS tapes each. And they're costly too. I needed a better solution for my growing needs.

I ended up buying the MM-252 Multi-Media Rack with 252A expansion kit for home and the CD-600 CD Rack with 600A expansion kit for my office. My MM setup can house 294 VHS tapes and the CD setup has room for 1200 CDs.

Let me say that the Boltz product line is a Godsend. I thought I would have to build in-wall shelving to house all the media I have. And that's probably not a great idea in an apartment. These units are built to last. They have a clear coat finish that allows the metal to show through. I find them to be very cool, but they may appear too utilitarian for some. I think once you have the racks filled up it'll hide most of the metal. If you're not sure if these are for you, Boltz will send you a free sample to look at. The samples make awesome paper weights!

Most of their products come already built. However, if you decide to get the expansion kits they must be assembled and attached to the pre-built units. Thankfully, they also include extra parts just in case you get a defect or lose a rod or nut. This takes about 30-45 minutes. I would recommend buying the base unit and expansion kit at the same time. It's easier to do it all at once, rather than removing all of your CDs, re-assembling the unit, and putting the CDs back in. Plan for the future.

Now here's for the really good stuff. Shipping is free! These units are big and would probably be expensive to ship. I live in Los Angeles. Boltz is located in Carlsbad, CA which is about an hour from me. I have received my racks always in 1-2 days. That is express shipping for free!

Also, their customer service is absolutely without peer. I have always received constant e-mail updates as to the progress of the transaction - order confirmation, when it left Boltz, estimated day of arrival, and even an e-mail to inform me that the product was accepted by me, and they'd like to know if I was happy.

However, the kicker happened this last time. I received a phone call from a friendly account person informing me that the packing slip erroneously reflected a shipping charge added to the total. She told me that it was a mistake, and I wouldn't be charged for the delivery. The call came 2 hours BEFORE the racks arrived. Amazing! I apologize for gushing with enthusiasm, but I've never received customer service like this. They obviously care.

Recently, Boltz has added products such as audio component racks, TV stands and bookshelves. These seem a bit more expensive in relation to their media storage racks. However, component racks are more costly in general.

I agree that racks or storage that resemble furniture are friendlier to look at. But Boltz has taken a bare bones approach to design and construction that benefits those of us who don't have Fort Knox bank accounts. As far as I know they are factory-direct only. Check them out at Boltz.com

I'm surprised there are no other reviews for Boltz products at this site. For those who care, these racks made the Stereophile Recommended Components Issue.

Yeah, they're plain metal. But the people in my office think they're pretty cool.

Purchased At:   Direct